Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swedish steamer SS Mariefred  (Read 7646 times)

livesteam

Swedish steamer SS Mariefred
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:13:30 am »

Hi there!
I just started with my new project which is going to be the first scratch build model. So I might be come up with some questions every now and again...
Since I first went to Sweden some 10 years ago, I always admired the beautiful archipelago steamers that are still in service today. My favorite of these old ladies has always been SS Mariefred which is maintaining it’s original route between Stockholm and Mariefred on lake Mälaren for more than 100 years. Still under steam and still coal fired!

So not by chance I chose SS Mariefred as my next building project. After weeks of research I got many pictures and the original plans from the Maritime museum in Stockholm. Furthermore I found a book called Mälarångare about the history of the navigation on lake Mälaren. This build will not be absolutely scale as I am going to use the GRP hull “Nordbornholm” from Steinhagen Modelltechnik Germany. With it’s length of 93cm it gives a scale of 1/35 for SS Mariefred. However it’s a bit too small in beam and it’s got a bit too much draught. Latter is rather a benefit as I will need enough draught to install a steam plant.
So I started my build with assembling the steam engine. It’s not the first one, but the first from Anton. I chose the little Quartz and will combine it with the small horizontal boiler from Maccsteam. Together with a 55mm Prop this should provide enough power to move this easy to drive hull.
Assembling the machine was straightforward. The kit is from a very high quality and needs only little metal finishing. The paint I used is Humbrol Brunswick green. I made good experiences with Humbrol enamel on my Cheddar Pintail.  It is just very important to polish and clean the parts that has to be painted very carefully.

At the moment I work on the hull: cutting the bulwark to shape and bring on plating (without rivets…).

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Swedish steamer SS Mariefred
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:28:34 am »

Hullo livesteam.....I have purchased a few steam accessories from Fabrice [Anton]...& all have been good quality.... O0

Please keep up the photographic images as your build progresses..... :}

There are many here on Mayhem that will view your postings with interest  :-)).........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:03:34 pm »

Livesteam, our good friend Hama here on Mayhem will be most interested in this project of yours. He works for the Waxholmsbolaget shipping company that run a couple of steamers in the summer months out of Stockholm.
..well can you land on this?

livesteam

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:37:17 pm »

I will be happy if you read my posts  :-) Don't be surprised if I am not going to post something new every week... With family and work I do not have too much time left for the build. So this is ment as a long-time-project.

To those who know the original Mariefred: Does anybody have pictures or infos about the rudder linkage on the top aft deck? There are no details about it on the plans but it seems to be a quite special construction.

Thanks!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:50:12 pm »

Perhaps Hama can tell you. The two ships still operated by Waxholmbolaget are SS Norrskar and SS Storskar , there may be similarities.
..well can you land on this?

livesteam

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 02:21:53 pm »

Perhaps Hama can tell you. The two ships still operated by Waxholmbolaget are SS Norrskar and SS Storskar , there may be similarities.
A few years ago I even went on a tour with SS Storskär but didn't pay attention about the steering linkage... Neither I did on Mariefred. I guess I should visit Stockholm again  O0

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 03:37:44 pm »

Livesteam,

I didn't realise that the Anton Quartz was available in kit form. It prompts me to ask two questions. What is the difference in price between the kit form and fully assembled engine? Also what was the delivery time for the kit as opposed to the fully assembled engine?

Bob. 
Bob Vaughan

livesteam

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 06:31:48 pm »

What is the difference in price between the kit form and fully assembled engine?
Hi Bob
There is a supplier of Fabrice Bretagne in Switzerland, prices might be considerably higher here than in UK. Assembled it's 840.- Swiss francs whereas as kit it costs 696.- Swiss francs. I am not quite sure but I guess 1 £ is about CHF 1.60.

Also what was the delivery time for the kit as opposed to the fully assembled engine?
Delivery time was about three weeks. But I have been told it can take up to 3 month. I am not sure if other suppliers also provide the engine as kit, I haven't seen it before. Maybe you could do your request directly to Fabrice Bretagne (google will bring his website).
Caspar

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:57:34 pm »

Livesteam,

Very interesting site from Kramer Steam. Far more detailed information about Anton products than the Anton site itself.

Once translated, the descriptions have answered a number of outstanding questions that I have had regarding Anton equipment.

Very good reference site. Such a pity there is no equivalent importer available in the UK.

Just wondering if anyone in the UK has dealt with Fabrice Bretagne directly and what the experience was like.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

hama

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:40:23 am »

Hi there Livesteam!
Great project! I'm afraid I'm of no use here, the two steamers in my company have been rebuilt to hydraulic steering and I guess Mariefred have the original chain steering. I guess she has steam powered steering. Probably she has much the same construction as most boats of her kind, a quadrant on upper deck and chain through guide wheels on the outside of the promenade deck leeding to the wheelhouse. Perhaps you can try and contact the "Stiftelsen Skärgårdsbåten"( Foundation for the archipelagoboats ) that run the boat. www.skargardsbaten.se I do have an simple plan that came from a kit of the Mariefred, the kit wasn't very accurate but the plan looks OK. I could send it to you if it can be of any help.
Good luck on your project!
Hama

livesteam

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 12:12:06 pm »

Hej Hama!
Thanks for your inputs, I will try at Stiftelsen Skärgardsbaten! The plan looks good actualy! It seems as they adapted  it from the original plans, but with additional views. In particular detail view of the bridge would be helpful as I do not have this view on my plans. Thanks a lot for your offer, I realy appreciate this. I'll send you a pm...
Livesteam

hama

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 03:29:38 pm »

Hello again!
I've replied your PM.
As for the Mariefred, i believe they extended the superstructure a bit forward at some point. Check this up on photos of her today and the original plans, older photos. Have you seen the kit that used to be produced here? I saw a started kit on a auction site the other day, it's about 90cm and he wanted some 80euros I believe. Perhaps there will be a unstarted kit that pops up someday.
All the best!
Hama.

livesteam

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 06:46:41 pm »

Thanks Hama!
I heard about this kit and saw some pictures of it and even tried to find one but without success, so I decided to start a scratch build.
There was an article on a German magazine some two years ago about a "fantasy"-skärgårdsbåt built with the Nordbornholm hull I am using know. Although without a real prototype that modell looked very similar to the Mariefred and finally encouraged me to build it with the same hull.
I'll keep you updated  ok2

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 11:50:12 pm »

mmmm.... I must agree the Swiss Kramer WEB site is so much better O0 & easy to navigate & translate than the ANTON sitel  >>:-(  .........Fabrice should take some lessons   <*<

There appear to be a few variations........ANTON still list a V71 gas regulator [which I have]...whereas Kramer nominate it as a V78 ??...& I find an image of a V31 steam regulator valve [90 degree movement]  :-))

I am not sure of the rate of Swiss VAT [sales tax] ...but the Kramer prices [when converted back to AUD$] appear to be much higher that from ANTON........

We also see the Kramer site selling the American TRV range of engines..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

livesteam

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 08:39:44 am »

I am not sure of the rate of Swiss VAT [sales tax] ...but the Kramer prices [when converted back to AUD$] appear to be much higher that from ANTON........
Yes it is much more expensive (also the TVR-range). So is life in Switzerland...  {:-{ Taxes are usualy about 8%.  But I have to say that Kramer's service is excellent and he is very helpful. so that's why i support his business. In addition to it, there are very few possibilities to buy steam components in Switzerland. And if so, they are all very, very expensive   :((

hama

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:43:02 pm »

PM sent! :D
Hama

livesteam

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:16 am »

PM sent! :D
Hama
Thanks Hama, I got your plans! :-) They seem to be 1/70 scale, with some Details that could be very useful for my build.  O0

livesteam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 02:34:09 pm »

Hello there!

Finally there is some progress and I'm going to update you.
First of all, I changed my mind about the engine. By chance I could buy a used Anton Saphir which is a very compact little oscilator with enough power for this easily driven hull. Thats why I will use the Quartz for a later project, most probably in an open style boat.
I mounted the engine together with a Maccsteam 2.5 inch boiler on a baseplate which I had to cut to the hulls shape. You can see the layout on the pictures, however wood lagging, pipework and gastank as well as condenser tank is still missing. So no test run under steam so far, but on compressed air, the little jewel runs perfectly well!

The whole plant can be removed as one part, it is fixed on a wooden bed in the hull by four screws. The prop comes from prop-shop and is a four-blade with 51mm diameter.

The hull itself is almost finished finished main thing to do is mounting the portholes (PE brass parts). I used 0.25mm styrene sheets to imitate shell plating and also styrene material for the fender rail. Unfortunately on my planes the shell plating is not pictured, so I had to use photos to estimate their run. I used CA to glue the styrene sheets on the grp hull. The inside of the bulwarks are very rough as often the case with grp hulls. I used quite a lot of surfacer and produced some dust… I must admit, that I don’t go for a perfectly smooth finish. It just won’t fit to a 110 years old steamer. So a few little dents will just look more realistic in my opinion. That’s also the reason why I am going to use a roller for the paintwork. But I will come to this by another chance.

A friend of mine owns a CNC cutter and for the first time I will take advantage of this machine. Thanks to the maritime Museum in Stockholm I got a copy of Mariefreds original plans on a CD. Making CNC-parts It will be very handy for all the windows in the superstructure! To get some experience with the software I was constructing the decks as CAD plans and my friend made has been cutting them out of 1.5mm plywood. The result was superb! I will add some pictures of this later.
The rudder was handmade with plywood and it’s got a 2mm shaft.

Cheers!
Kaspar

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.