Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Co2 ballast system  (Read 3587 times)

nelsona

Co2 ballast system
« on: March 29, 2011, 07:37:19 pm »

Would anyone who has made an operating ballast tank using the co2 (gas) system like to advise on how they made it? that is any drawing or information regarding valves or pressure vessels, in fact any useful tips would be very welcome and gratefully received :-))

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Co2 ballast system
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:47 pm »

Dont even go there. If you want to use compressed air use some thing thats stores at lower pressures like airbrush propellent.
If you must than adapt a bicycle pump gun to blow ballast directly with out valves and high pressure plumbing ( I am planning such a think as an emergency device to blow normally flooded ballast tanks should the boat get stuck underwater in weeds or something and the regular ballast system not have enough boyancy to tear the boat to the surface)

nelsona

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:18:44 am »

Thanks Mankster may I ask what a bicycle pump gun is? excuse my ignorance!

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines

nelsona

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:11 am »

Thanks once again Mankster, but they were what I originally meant to use, I had heard somehwere that an adaptor (pressure reduction valve) could be fitted to the pump and that would reduce it to two or three bar? Innovations was the recommended one, but Halfords were out of stock, B*keh*t were given a defint thumbs down on two customer reviews I rea, What degree of difficulty would you rate the production of valves etc., I have a lathe and can use it

Davy1

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:49:26 pm »

We really ought to refer you to the SubCommittee.
Gas (Propel) systems are very rare in the UK but are commonly used in the US.

It is a bit since I've had a  look but there must be some guidance on their website.

http://www.subcommittee.com/

Brooks

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:58:20 pm »

Mike's sub works has parts for CO2 systems
http://www.mikessubworks.com/page1.html

nelsona

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 12:51:32 pm »

Thanks for the info, trouble is it is abroad, but it is possible I will look into it ok2

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 01:38:28 pm »

Would it help if I order a complete ballast system from the US and report back to you?
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:00:22 pm »

Is there any particular reason you want to use a Co2 based system over other lower pressure methods?

Gas systems have traditionally been very popular in the States, owing to the easy availability of commercial dive modules/WTC's which use this system, although these tend to be the lower pressure based systems using airbrush propellant etc. as opposed to Co2. The compact nature of these systems lends itself well to smaller boats like 1/96th scale nukes which are popular over there, and in addition the lack of pumps and extra motors was a boon bearing in mind the limited battery capacity available up until recent times.

However with the ready availability of small air pumps and much better batteries things are beginning to balance out.

Andy

nelsona

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 05:04:25 pm »

Thanks for all the input, no particular reason about using co2, Just seemed compact and uncomplicated system, having experimented with a piston controlled affair
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.