Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sterling American Scout  (Read 4846 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Sterling American Scout
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:35:36 pm »

Ahoy
           Here is another of my collections of my Rc fleet of sail. This is a 1957 issue kit of the United States Lines C2 merchantman SS AMERICAN SCOUT. Iknow a lot of you good fellas out here has atleased has one or once owned one. The kit has bee arouind for a long while and stillcan be found on Ebay. If you find one you will notice it is the one of the kind, I cant promise you you will pay for what I paid for mine I paid $ 9.95 and the fittimgs kit is $6.95. I didn,t start construction on this until 1960 I joined the Navy in 1958 After bootcamp when i got my first ship i took it on board with me to build when i was off watch and had the duty in port. I got as far as the hull construction and radio installation. I shipped her back home 2 weeks prior to my 30 day leave.  By 1964 I sailed her for her first sea trial she said like her namesake. the hull was fibre glassed all the paint you see on her is from the compliments of the United States Navy. the hull was assembled sanded and useing filler repeated the process and I applied 8 coats of Redlead primmer, useing a spray gun. when the primmer dried I apllied 6 coats of red oxide anti fouling paint for her water line. then procede with the black color and white trim the kingpost sampson post and 20 ton booms were painted matson buff by mixing white yellow red. The RC equipment is a relic the old state of the art the old Babcock citizenship all tube radio powering a gearbox that opperated the rudder tiller. she turns very slow much like that of the late great Titanic. Ruddr not that effective but she turns to port and staboard with scale manuevers. Here are a few pictures of my American Scout Merchant Freighter

Thanks

Franklyn Day
                                                                      Retired U.S. NAVY BMC  AKA Boats

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

stoppel

Re: Sterling American Scout
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 09:53:20 pm »

very nice model.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.