Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pilot Boat at Wicksteed  (Read 2921 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Pilot Boat at Wicksteed
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:30:18 am »

As I was looking through Martin's photos of the recent Wicksteed event, I noticed a shot of a gentleman holding a small model of a pilot boat. Said boat bears a striking resemblance  ok2 to 2 I built back in 2004 (James Cook), and 2006 (Henry Rous), from free magazine plans enlarged slightly. James Cook was my first attempt at a scratch built model, and I subsequently gave it to my grandsons in Sydney. However, I decided that I liked it so much that I built another, Henry Rous, which still sees occasional outings on our club's lake.

Peter.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Pilot Boat at Wicksteed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:47:54 pm »

Looks very much like the free plan by Richard Web in Marine Modelling International, January 2004. The design was for an all plastic construction. I'm building a freelance Police boat based on the hull and having all sorts of fun with the plastic hull construction. I'll stick to wood in future.
Don't Assume Check

TugCowboy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:57:31 pm »

All look like excellent boats, I'm currently looking for something simple and easily repairable to let my son use, as he likes "playing with the sticks", hopefully one day he'll take the hobby up seriously.

Are the plans still available anywhere? or does anyone have a hull for sale that would serve as a starting block?

Alex

rmaddock

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:22:14 pm »

If you wanted a very quick and dirty fix then Traplet are doing a laser cut wood pack for a pilot boat model.
See HERE.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:28:22 pm »

That's a wood kit for the same boat. Plan available for £14

http://shop.traplet.com/search.aspx?q=mar3062&h=
Don't Assume Check

Big Ada

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:44:20 pm »

I built two of Ricky Webbs Pilot boats out of Styrene, one for me and the other for the Learning Disabled guy I work with.

Len.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:36:24 pm »

Looks very much like the free plan by Richard Web in Marine Modelling International, January 2004. The design was for an all plastic construction. I'm building a freelance Police boat based on the hull and having all sorts of fun with the plastic hull construction. I'll stick to wood in future.

That's the one :-)) I built my two from plywood as I had no experience of styrene at the time. They are a great little boat, simple to build and fun to sail. Much more detail could be added if wanted, but they look good as they are.

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.