Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:12 Arun - 15 years in the making  (Read 6161 times)

morgsy

• Shipmate
1:12 Arun - 15 years in the making
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:39:26 am »

Morning All,
Here we have my first post of what I am forseeing as many posts!

I have at home 2 scale lifeboats a 30 year old 1:12 Solent and a 15 year 1:12 Arun, the Solent is my dads and the Arun was bought for me from Martins Models in Anglesey when I was about 8, needless to say this boat wasn't for me it was for my dad so it got little attention and ultimatly made little progress, I now have a son myself and though that it would be good to get it finished after all this time.

The build so far is...hull and super structure painted, homemade windows fitted but are very tacky so I am going to get the window kit from Macsmodels, (if anyone has experience of this I would apprecate to know the quality) once the windows are in place the boat just needs the running gear installing and then i can add the detail as i go.

I will get a couple of pics tonight if possible of both boats.

I have been looking at E-Power BL4030 385KV Brushless Outrunner Motor - http://www.giantcod.co.uk/epower-bl4030-385kv-brushless-outrunner-motor-p-257.html as driving gear which i believe to be the same spec as Pauls Arun?

And Brushless Speed Controller 50A ESC UBEC http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brushless-Motor-Electronic-Speed-Controller-ESC-50A-C-/130505751438?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1e62bfbb8e

I am not that familiar with brushless but I think these speedcontrollers will be adequate? - If anyone can advise?

Then powered by 2 12v lead acid batteries.

Cheers,
Chris  :-))

morgsy

• Shipmate

Roadrunner

Re: 1:12 Arun - 15 years in the making
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:12:33 am »

umm don't go brushless... buy larger DC motors maybe such as the T12 from mobile marine models (google them) and then speak to Dave @ ACTion for your electronic needs, he will sort it all out over the phone exactly what you need for the functions you wish to have. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:34 am »

umm don't go brushless... buy larger DC motors maybe such as the T12 from mobile marine models (google them) and then speak to Dave @ ACTion for your electronic needs, he will sort it all out over the phone exactly what you need for the functions you wish to have. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

what is wrong with brushless ? ideal for that size of boat 20% more efficient cheaper.

Peter

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »

Brushless does seem to be the way to go these days with semi displacement/planing hulls such as tthe large lifeboats.
I had two torpedo 850's in a 42' hull similar top a Mersey class lifeboat, and they barly pushed it above walking speed.......and were just as expensive as brushless.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:36:12 pm »

Definately brushless for the Arun, the first speed controllers will be no good, limited control in forward, all or nothing with these cheaper ones...The Seaking is far superior but will not be suitable for the motor you chose, better one would be this motor rated at 43amp..

I used Macs Mouldings frame on my Arun, looked ok..  :-))

Russ

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/xyh4250-800kv-outrunner-p-405282.html

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:07:19 pm »

Thanks for the quick responses, would you suggest:
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/xyh4250-800kv-outrunner-p-405282.html
with the second speedcontrol?

Do you wreckon this will be fast enough? I am a bit of a speed freak!

Ow and the other thing that Seaking controller is water cooled, does this mean i need some sort of pump to circulate the water?

Regards,
Chris

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:46:52 pm »

I have bit the bullet bought the motors suggested and the Seaking controllers to match each motor.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »

You will be fine with them motors, on 12volt they will give you more than adequate scale speed, I dont think you will need to water cool the speed controllers running with them motors...

Russ

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 04:37:54 pm »

Thanks Russ massive help having a second opinion, should i need to have the controllers cooled is there some sort of kit to pump the water round?

Is your Arun finished or are those pics current? Any chance of getting an internal pic of your hull to see how you have stuctured the internal fame/mounts for running gear?

Cheers,
Chris

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 05:13:16 pm »

Hi

15 years isn't so bad my friend just finished a scratch build. He started it over twenty years ago for his son and only recently finished it for his grandson. I'm posting because I googled giantcod today (looking for an esc & motor) but I was put off buying as Google said the site might be compromised by phishing. What do you think about that as you bought from them? AVG said no active threats on the pages though. If you use paypal is that better?  {:-{

These were the items I was looking at by the way
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/hobbywing-seaking-reverse-program-brushless-p-403647.html
£39.87 Hobbywing Seaking 60A w/ Reverse program Brushless ESC V
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/bl2845-3600kv-watercooled-inrunner-motor-p-404992.html
£15.46 B28-45 3600kv Brushless Inrunner (WaterCooled) Kv: 3600rpm/v Required ESC: 40A

Norseman

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »

We will see i have paid for next day delivery so should be here on Thursday as i ordered at 15:30 today, i will post pics as soon as they come..

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 09:40:14 pm »

Here are the pictures I promised...

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 09:47:24 pm »

you have stated you that it was bought in Martin Models on Anglesey ....where were they based...just curious as I am from Bethesda nr bangor and have NEVER heard of that shop

Stav

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 10:11:05 pm »

One way to supply cooling water is via pick up tubes fitted useally near the rear of the boat. Avalible on E Bay.
you might want to plumb the return water via the exhausts to give a realistic effect. A windscreen washer
pump could be used, but pick up pipes easyer and proportional to speed. John.

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 12:23:26 am »

Stavros Martins Models was open about 15 years ago I assume they are long gone now.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 01:45:43 am »

How did you get on with the delivery expected from Giantcod?

Norseman

furball

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 03:41:45 pm »

Stavros Martins Models was open about 15 years ago I assume they are long gone now.

I think that the FG hulls that Martins Models did are what Models by Design now have (via Dave Metcalf)

Lance

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 08:37:41 am »

Sorry I have been away on a short holiday,
Delivery was super fast, came on Thursday, motors are tiny but are quite impressive, i will let you know what the performance is like as i have only done pond tests lol!

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 07:12:19 am »

Parts from Mac's moldings just arrived very pleased with most of the parts.

I will get some pics of them asap.

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 12:10:49 pm »

Sorry I have not uploaded the Pic's of the fittings yet, i will  get round to it!

She had her maiden voyage this morning, just 10mins to check the setup etc, first impressions are that the motors are very capable of delivering the perfect scale speed at 12v + little extra speed i think? It will be quick enough to keep my interest for a while anyway!

One of the rudders tiller arms disconnected so was running with 1 rudder for the last 5 mins, going to modify the entire rudder setup as there isn't enough movement i think... also as i have setup the motors with independant ESC's and there own 12v Lead Acid pack one of the batteries is quite old and doesn't deliver half the performance so i was thinking of running both batteries in parrell so the ESC's come from the same power source = Same power in theroy, does this sound correct?

I just need to get some cable to link the batteries and a switch to save me keep having to get the screw driver out to turn the thing off!

I went to the Three Sisters MBC the lake is very suitable and there were around 5 members present, seemed to be impressed with the basic model, can't wait to get some fittings on there once i am happy with the setup.

I will get a video next week.

Chris

morgsy

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 07:21:38 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow04f5AMoZU
Here u can see the second run, at the end one of the couplings breaks though!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.