Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st spring  (Read 47903 times)

bat44

Re: 1st spring
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 11:24:08 am »

OK er in doors said i could have some time doing some work on my boat so here go's. A bit more work on the bridge roof, steps on all three sides of superstructure and aces cut out for the rudder 

well that's how she looked last night not looking to bad so far, i think i need to clue the deck down next so i can put the hull sides on. i did make a ships boat but not to sure if it is right 

well that's it for now will try to do some more tonight if er in doors lets me

bat44

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 11:36:12 am »

found some more pics of this type of tugs

bat44

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 06:16:17 pm »

ok back from holes so back to work on the boat. up first clue the deck down, because I'm using the plastic deck two part epoxy was used 

this was left to harden for a day before cleaning up. with the deck now down time to cut out the sides of the hull and placed on the hull to see how they looked with tape

well that's it for today now going to have some fun with my mardave now

bat44

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »

with the sides on with tape and taking a step back and looking at the model it just looked like a big shoe box, so a quick fix by having the sides angel in made it look a little less like a shoe box but not by much 

with the hull sides looking a bit better onto the next thing to be made and that was the hatch for the rudder access and detail added to it

up next was to card in the nudge bars in with plastic card and a set of steps added to one of them

well that's it for now will post more bits in a few days

bat44

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 03:29:06 pm »

OK back to work on this build, up next the pain of are life's  no not er in doors but stanchions but then she dose come close  :D with limited funds after the holiday one had to make my own. the worst part was the top rail which had to include a hand rail for the stairs. with three stanchions and two rails per side not much but still took me a couple of hours to make then clean them up. just a few pics of before and after 

bat44

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 11:10:39 pm »

not much going on at the moment, having to much fun racing my Mardave so to keep the build going time to start making the tug look better so out came the Humbrol filler and slapped  it all over all the joints.so this is how looks so far with the filler over it

well that's it for now will let the filler go of then rub it down in the next few days and maybe spray some primer on

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 09:14:00 am »

looks great so far, needs weathering, maybe painting also :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Timo2

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 11:58:11 am »

Hi

Look very good to me  O0 :-))

That shipping line colour to paint it ????

Timo2

bat44

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 08:27:31 pm »

so after all the filler and the rubbing down time to start the paint. up first primer this is were the fun starts, like i said at the start this is the look I'm going for so here we go

a nice used and dirty tug

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2011, 10:05:15 am »

looking good. I have found an article in Tamiya model Magazine that will give you the low down on how to get the deck weathering right. It uses some fairly exotic materials you may not be familiar with, something called 'hairspray'. I will have the mag with me at the display tomorrow... :-))

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2011, 10:49:19 am »

ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2

A thing of beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder --  think i`d prefer it with paddle wheels

%) %) %) %) %) %) %) %) %)

bat44

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2011, 12:01:51 pm »

thanks unbuilt see you tomorrow

yes unicorn beauty is in the eye of the beholder so when do you get your new eyes {-) {-) {-) ;D ;D :-)) :-))

unicorn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 12:34:03 pm »

%) %) %) %) %) %) %)

Borrowed one from Cyclops  --  only saw the good side  --  did`nt see a single springer!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 12:55:34 pm »

Quick...order me my Babel Fish :o

bat44

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 05:15:53 pm »

on it's way :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

bat44

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2011, 08:55:13 pm »

not much has happened since the last post what with er in doors and putting up my shed and doing things for the club, any way as this is a pusher tug it needs some thing to push so as a barge was going round the club house so here's some pics of the tug and barge

the first thing to be made for the barge is a locater for the tug to sit in

last  two pics is of the tug and barge together

well that's it for now hope to start the painting of the tug but that depends on er in doors 

bat44

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 03:27:57 pm »

well with not doing the painting  and a visit to the hop farm model show and buying some fittings from mac's mouldings i was able to detail the bridge and replace a couple of things

not how it comes from mac's mouldings but does the job

the test fit shows it doesn't look to bad
to help with the detail some parts were replaced with some more of mac's fittings up first was the rear towing post
from this

to this

one of the things that i did not like was the steps and the ladder for the bridge againe these were replaced with more mouldings from mac's

plus a ladder was put up in the engine room axses hatch

the roof of the bridge was not mist out as a couple of things were added as well

well that's it for now must start doing the painting soon

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 06:07:40 pm »

Needs weathering....Needs weld lines.....looks good.....

bat44

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2011, 07:42:35 pm »

ok it had to happen i started to paint the tug, only on the out side of the hull but it's a start

well no going back now, as i am going to weather the tug to well used boat i will try and show how this happens, so wish me luck

bat44

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 05:11:08 pm »

so here comes the hard part trying to make a model boat look like a real one. up first to make the Deck look like the paint has been well worn so to help with this look i painted maskol over the deck  where i wanted no paint to stick

this was Left to dry before the paint was sprayed on

with the paint dry the fun part is the peeling the maskol of

with maskol removed from the deck you are left with an out line of paint and this is were the paint has not bean worn of by wear and tear

well that's it for now the hard part is to come

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 05:21:01 pm »

Holy Crabsticks! I suggested stippling it on, not pouring the bottle over the boat!!!

However, in all seriousness, this is the best part of the weathering process. The point at which you go "Oh Hell! What have I done?!" Then you get to drag the weathering back to reality. Good luck and its nice to see a Springer without fur, a tail, Bob the Builder nailed on top, wheels, a flightdeck or Batfins ( now, theres an idea!)

bat44

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2011, 05:28:32 pm »

ok with the deck colour on then taken of it was time to dirty it up. the first thing to dirty up was the towing post this was done using just 4 colours

up next is to dirty the deck this was done by dry brushing brown and orange together

with this painted up next was the inside of the hull, again only using 3 colours, to start with i painted a black line into the corners and dry brushed this out

this was done to the other colours in the same way

with this done and with the help of a small brush and black paint was applied to represent chipped paint so with this all done we have some thing looking like this

so that's it so far all one has to do now is to do it to the rest of the boat.

gwa84

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2011, 05:35:47 pm »

looking well worn in might have to use your techniques later on in a build very affective  :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 03:07:10 pm »

The pupil has become the master.
I have a set of comedy ears you can put on the model when finished, should help to get noticed more then {-)

bat44

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2011, 09:17:03 am »

well that's the first part of the weathering done and it dose look like a well used tug

with the deck done time to start on the super structure this was stared the same way as the deck

up next starting the weathering

well that's it so far this type of paint job dose take time to do but it is worth it. as a foot note this is what the tug will be pushing 

will hope to do something like this on it but that's another story

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.