Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Weymouth Show  (Read 12279 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Weymouth Show
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:05:37 pm »

For those who didn't already know this, an article in the Nautical News, the news letter of the South West Association of Model Boat Clubs.

The Chairman’s Report --- Keith Hickman

It is with some regret that I have to tell you all that that this year will be the last time that the Weymouth Festival of Model Boating will take place.

This decision, by mutual agreement between Weymouth and Portland Council and SWAMBC, was taken at our pre-festival liaison meeting on June 3rd. Factors influencing this decision included dwindling support from modellers and traders, the increasing organisational burden on a reducing number of volunteers but also, importantly, the financial and logistics effects for the Council as a result of the 2012 Olympics commitment.

This was not an easy decision for any of us but it was felt that after 17 years the event had run its course. From the SWAMBC viewpoint the lack of new blood to help manage the Pavilion and Radipole was placing an unfair burden on those few who were still willing to be involved.

So there it is - I hope that those of you who will be attending the Festival have an enjoyable time. If there are any volunteers who are willing to help with stewarding at the Pavilion or the Radipole we will be very pleased to see you! As this is the last one let's make it a good one!
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Del-boy1958

Re: Weymouth Show
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:52:55 am »

Hi All
This is sad news for a show that has been so great to attend over many years.
it has been well run and the camp site is good with a shuttle bus to and from the different
sites.
It will be missed by all that attend I am sure.

Derek

scoop

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:18:53 pm »

Hi All
This is sad news for a show that has been so great to attend over many years.
it has been well run and the camp site is good with a shuttle bus to and from the different
sites.
It will be missed by all that attend I am sure.

Derek
Got to agree with you there Derek, although I couldn't make it last year due to work committments, I had been attending the show for some years prior to that. Whilst I was more interested in the IC racing side of things (being OOD at the OMRA racing during the 2008 and 2009 events where I had 90 entries each time to contend with  ;)) it was a real pleasure to stroll around Radipole and view all the scale boats, FE's etc, have an amble around the trade / clubs show in the Pavillion on the Saturday (Sunday was for racing :}) before going off to the local watering hole for a pint or three of Tanglefoot  :} Hic  {-)
So on behalf all the membership of the BMPRS (www.bmprs.co.uk) who have attended this event can I say a very big thank you to SWAMBC and the local Council for all the pleasure we have had attending this event over the years. I'm sure the decision to bring it all to an end was a difficult one and not one that was taken lightly. Many thanks again.

Scoop

lifeboatpaul

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:13:02 pm »

I agree with you both , it was a great to see such different types of model boats all in the same place , Weymouth is such a great location too with everthing to offer , shame it has to come to an end this year.

Will the offshore racing still continue after this year ?

Paul.

cobramax

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:01 pm »

Hi Paul ,I spoke to the people concerned at Weymouth today and they are very keen to keep O.M.R.A racing at that venue.So with a little luck we will be there next year.will post dates as soon as I get them confirmed........ :-)) 8) {-)

Shakey60

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:24:59 pm »

Yet another great event bites the dust ... I'm gutted, no, I'm disgusted that this great show should end.  >>:-(  >>:-(  >>:-(

I hope that in 2013 that the local campsites, shops, hotels and B and B's realise the council's mistake, judging by the amount of people attending last year's show the town will be half empty.  {:-{  :((

I hope that the powers that be will think on in the future and realise what a big, big mistake they have made.

My very best wishes go to other model boat show organisers, let's all support those that are left.

Alan (Worcester)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 01:06:55 pm »

I got the impression that it is the usual problem of too few people being left to do all the work. Shows take a lot of effort to put on and without enough willing volunteers to support the organisers they tend to get discouraged and unwilling to continue.

Clubs suffer from the same problem.

Colin

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 02:44:52 pm »

Oh well as they say all good things must come to an end.  :(( However Im going to make the best of it. If you see me there say hello or better still by me a beer. Im taking my elecky boats with me. It will make a change from racing !
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

omra85

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:17:38 pm »

I got the impression that it is the usual problem of too few people being left to do all the work. Shows take a lot of effort to put on and without enough willing volunteers to support the organisers they tend to get discouraged and unwilling to continue.

Clubs suffer from the same problem.

Colin

I agree Colin, but organisers CAN do more to "lighten their load"!  There are many willing volunteers who are often put off volunteering for two reasons -
1.  Jobs are often done by the same people.  Ie. Fred Bloggs ALWAYS sets the course out (which is great - but people don't like to risk "putting someone's nose out of joint" by suggesting that THEY would be willing to do the job - even if Fred is secretly more than willing to hand over). [The same often applies to club or Association positions].
2.  Organisers need to be more specific as to what people are volunteering for ... just asking for "stewards" means nothing, whereas someone to look after the frequency board from 1.00pm to 3.00pm or assist with setting up  at 9.00am gives people MUCH more idea as to what will be entailed.

Ask (specifically) - and ye shall receive!   ............  probably   ok2

Cheers
Danny

tugnut

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 03:32:09 pm »

Hi all this is the first time for me at this show, you are all right it is a shame,a great show.

John B

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:44:11 pm »

What no pics of my Arun?? Well im just catching up on Mayhem.
The weekend was i have to say dam good. There was nowhere near as many folks around but this went in it's favour as it gave us a bit more chance to have a chat etc. I meet a chap on Saturday afternoon who was very keen to talk about my Arun. It turns out he was from  the Newlyn area and was well made up with my model of there local boat.
Can i say a very big thank you to all the hard working folk who put on the last Weymouth model boating weekend. A dam fine weekend and good company what more do you want?? :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

scoop

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 03:42:20 pm »

What no pics of my Arun?? Well im just catching up on Mayhem.
The weekend was i have to say dam good. There was nowhere near as many folks around but this went in it's favour as it gave us a bit more chance to have a chat etc. I meet a chap on Saturday afternoon who was very keen to talk about my Arun. It turns out he was from  the Newlyn area and was well made up with my model of there local boat.
Can i say a very big thank you to all the hard working folk who put on the last Weymouth model boating weekend. A dam fine weekend and good company what more do you want?? :-))
Aye and the BBQ wasn't all that bad either, hic, good company, hic  :}
Scoop

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »

The portsmouth crowd would just like to add... good show as ever, great fun, will miss it. Next year I feel we will be twiddling our thumbs on the second weekend in July with nothing to do.
Well done to all involved in organising this event over the last seventeen years, enjoy the year off... you cannot keep a good show down you know!! ( I know its all over, but you can hope..)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

LarryW

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 05:47:07 pm »

HEARS A FEW MORE  :-))

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:49:52 pm »

The portsmouth crowd would just like to add... good show as ever, great fun, will miss it. Next year I feel we will be twiddling our thumbs on the second weekend in July with nothing to do.
Well done to all involved in organising this event over the last seventeen years, enjoy the year off... you cannot keep a good show down you know!! ( I know its all over, but you can hope..)

I went and had a look at the pond at Southsea after Weymouth. Looks like just the right place to put on a show!!!!!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 05:57:34 pm »

Aye and the BBQ wasn't all that bad either, hic, good company, hic  :}
Scoop

Scoop
Went out of town to Sutton ponyts to get me Sunday roast it was lovely. However Danny & his party did not fair as well, he went into town and all the stuff he wanted was sold out and he cound not even get the beer you both like as that was sold out as well {-) {-)
All those model boaters had drank the best beer and ate the grub {-)
Ha ho!!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »

I went and had a look at the pond at Southsea after Weymouth. Looks like just the right place to put on a show!!!!!

That would stop us twiddling our thumbs!!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 06:32:11 pm »

That would stop us twiddling our thumbs!!

Go for it :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 09:14:07 pm »

And not such a daft idea either.
Go on Alan you know you really, really WANT to.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

omra85

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 10:02:41 pm »

However Danny & his party did not fair as well, he went into town and all the stuff he wanted was sold out and he cound not even get the beer you both like as that was sold out as well {-) {-)
All those model boaters had drank the best beer and ate the grub {-)

Yes - a sad day ... all the Sunday roasts had gone and no "Tanglefoot"   <:( <:(
I was reduced to eating steak and drinking Badger's "somethng or other".  It was so weak that I didn't even fall into the taxi (getting out was another matter  %) )
I blame all those Portsmouth blokes - they're a bad influence  ;) {-) {-)

Good weekend all round I think.

Cheers
Danny

LarryW

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 09:44:35 am »

DO YOU ,  mean these pirates...... {-)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 05:15:37 pm »

DO YOU ,  mean these pirates...... {-)

Be nice to them. There thinking of taking the Weymouth event on. Good Stuff.

HUNTER

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 07:32:11 pm »

Alan, Count me in, Portsmouth is a lot nearer to Eastbourne than Weymouth is, and the traffic is much nicer!
Graham

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »

I'm away from a computer for two days, when I come back, I'm organising a major model show, what is going on?! I cannot get the team minutes to the members in less than three weeks, let alone do what messrs Stevens and gang have organised for the last seventeen years.
Never say never though :P

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »

I'm away from a computer for two days, when I come back, I'm organising a major model show, what is going on?! I cannot get the team minutes to the members in less than three weeks, let alone do what messrs Stevens and gang have organised for the last seventeen years.
Never say never though :P

IS THERE ANY GOOD NEWS YET :-))
That pond at Southsea is just crying out for a good model boat show next year.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.