Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner  (Read 17234 times)

bluebird

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Q & A - GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:28 AM »

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26:59 AM »

sure does thanks allot.

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »

Hi

I have recently got hold of the plans for this - planning to build one over the winter, and try to "up-scale" it a bit...

Had an idea of diagonal planking the hull (ie as per the original construction method), using coffee stirrers or similar (with tissue or glass cloth covering) rather than simply sheeting with balsa...

Would this work do you think?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »

Hi

I have recently got hold of the plans for this - planning to build one over the winter, and try to "up-scale" it a bit...

Had an idea of diagonal planking the hull (ie as per the original construction method), using coffee stirrers or similar (with tissue or glass cloth covering) rather than simply sheeting with balsa...

Would this work do you think?

Yes   :-))

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »

Am sure I'm just making it harder for myself, but wanted to try it anyway!!'

bluebird

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »

Hi ya David

May I ask you to err on the side of caution; as when increasing the size of models from Plans and altering the builds; you can run into all sorts of problems.   Maybe not so many problems for an experienced builder, but for a person who is relatively new to the hobby - personally I would advise you to build this model as it (straight from the Plans) and this would enable you to see how the model goes together, how you actually fit up the power drive chain and so forth.   Whereas what you are asking to do - which is quite possible to do - you can start to run into problems.

When you start to diagonally plank like you want to do and also increase the size of the model - you will have to begin to think about putting extra support in - e.g. stringers on the sides and on the bottom - these are strips of wood to support the diagonal planking in the middle of the planks.

Basically this design for this model doesn't lend itself too readily for doing this. So that is why my suggestion is to stick to the plan size for the model and minimise the problems that you are going to create for yourself.

If you are really into this type of style of model - the Marine Modelling International Magazine (last month) did a free plan for an RAF Rescue Launch which I believe Stavro is building.   This is an actual twin motor model and it looks a very interesting build but built of a similar style as Glyn Guest.   Also a while back the same magazine did a free plan for a Vosper MTB semi-scale and this one is the same as the Airfix MTB is.

When you have built your skills up; you then possibly may go on to building from plans such as Vic Smeed's plans/John Pritchard's plans.     Have a look at MyHobbiesStore at the style of plans and also have a look at the MasterClass build and you will see an Air Sea Rescue Launch which I built and diagonally planked.   Also if you do a search you will come across the RTTL which I built.   This is also diagonally planked.

Hope I haven't put you off too much and dampened your spirits but good luck with what you choose.

Last but not least, going back to the Glyn Guest MTB; you can really add a lot of detail to this model and make it look something really nice.  Do a web earch on the MTB  :-))

aye John

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the info - think I misled you a bit - by "up-scale" I meant detailing it up from semi scale...rather than making it bigger!  Think I got my terminology confused...

I wanted to use a build log I found of the Italeri MTB77 plastic kit as further detail to try and add a bit more realism - adding deck tools, fitting out the bridge etc.  The plans you've highlighted also look really good

Do you think the diagonal planking would work on the basic hull frame (keel, chine-floor and deck) at the planned size (26" I think?) I guess the plank span from keel to chine would be c3 inches?

Don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but also keen to try new things!

BTW - I've just started going through your build log of the 63ft whaleback ASR - Its such a beautiful design, and they way you've built it is really inspiring me to try the same one day...!  Only thing is that it seems such a shame to cover up the planking!

Stavros

• Full Mayhemer
  • North wales
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »

Bluebird is correct in his assumptions I am indeed building one at the moment and it is well on it way,very easy boat to build...alas not diagonally planked but straight ply sides.

Dave
No Motor is to Big for me.....Catch it if you can Phil

pete-c

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 09:12:44 AM »

Hi

I am having problem obtaining the June 2011 Magazine. Has anyone a copy that they could could sell me. I only need the article on the Vosper.

Regards
Pete

john mantova

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 05:45:53 AM »

Bluebird is correct in his assumptions I am indeed building one at the moment and it is well on it way,very easy boat to build...alas not diagonally planked but straight ply sides.

Dave

I once saw a ply sided hull scored or pencil marked hull stained and grained to look like planking.Very clever  John Mantova
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up