Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a variation on a springer  (Read 3440 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
a variation on a springer
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:19:56 pm »

Ok i have built a few springers to the set standards , but this time i have thrown the standards out of the preverbial window  :o .
for my latest  %) springer , i used the standard sides (i have a template) but sandwiched them around a frame from the back to 10" forward , nothing strange there then  :-)) .
From here it gets different , i then formed the bow to meet a piece of 4"x4" timber which made a flat pusher , hold on let me finish.
The bottom of the hull was covered with a piece of ply , sounds good eh  :-).
This was where the fun began , i now lined up where the prop shaft would be and where the motor sat on the outside bottom of the hull and CUT a hole in the hull  :o
I made a motor mount and sat the motor on the bottom of the hull fitted a skeg to support the shaft and cut a plastic water/pop bottle to form a pod which was covered with masking tape and eventually fibreglass .
giving the effect of a pod .
Oops back in a mo, hang it there.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: a variation on a springer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:37:17 pm »

Pictures please.
..well can you land on this?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:03:35 pm »

Steady there Arrow  :}.
back to the build , now this is intended to be a representation of a tug that works the docks at goole whilst not exactly to scale  so with that in mind  onwards.
Once the hull was watertight bleow a rubbing strake i did a water test to show me where i needed the ballast (2 6v 4ah batts) and it was right in the bow section above the motor ,
so a removable bow deck was made and ligned with a dose of sealant and there were six portholes drilled and fitted (polly pipe and clear plastic) along with the deck clutter which you will see soon.
the rear deck was recessed to the level of the rubbing strake and wash ports cut to allow them to do what they are intended for ,
access to the rudder and servo is via a splender (there are other brands of artificial sweetner available) lid which is to date water proof and a coming around the main access for the elecky gubbins etc .
I made the tow posts from scrap brass tube and the hook from grp sheet which is reinforced under the deck for propper towing ,
the rear deck bollards are from brass rod turned on the lathe and the bow ones are made of alloy rod , the access hatches (round) are orange juice tops and the other one (square) is from scrap ply.
I made a rising wheelhouse from mountboard for the wheel house and plasticard for the guiders , at the mo it is a manual riser need to sort out the gearfor it.
I had to change one or two things on water trials , mainly the 4 bladed 50mm brass prop to a 2 bladed 30mm plastic screw type , far too vicious  with the 50 amp ESC , i also had to add some lead sheet midway to keep it level
Back in a mo
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:04:15 am »

Right sorry for the delay , had a problem with an update.
Unfortunatly as this was a fast build (about 1 week) and an experiment i didn't take any photos of the actual build ,
but here are the ones i have enjoy.

daz

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:14:15 am »

Great stuff !  semi-scale of the real one,great idea. Like the name. O0
..well can you land on this?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:41:47 pm »

Aw thanks , i even got the owner of the full sized tug to do a handbrake turn on the docks when he saw the model,
got a thumbs up too from him.
still a bit more to do as detail is not one of my strong points , all i am interested in is how it performs on the water , and i am impressed at the moment , just need's a tweek with the prop as reverse is not entirely under controll.
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:20:25 am »

Just in case you have not seennthe full sized tug , here she is

daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.