Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Veron River Poice build  (Read 13099 times)

Mr Sam

Re: Veron River Poice build
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »

yeah ive left the sides off until my rudder arrives, not sure where to hide the other bits and bobs although im not too fussed about scale apperance of the open deck so might fit a longer box over the motor to hide the esc and rx   

hmm then where to pt the battery, should it be near the front or back taking its weight into consideration

Mr Sam

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »

yay just realized my old Precedent T-180 has a few servo extension leads in it so im planning to have the ESC right up under the cab and the RX in the box at the back with the rudder servo,

for the rudder servo im going to use a ripmax mini servo ive used it in loads of models there not alot more that a s3003 futaba but save alot of space and weight

the next thing is water proofing the hull? can i use ordinary yacht varnish thinned down? then paint then more varnish?

craftysod

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:19 pm »

The answer is yes to waterproofing the hull.
Basically use a thinned down varnish to soak into the wood,apply second coat (if needed),apply topcoat of paint.
You might not need to apply a varnish to the paint afterwoods,depends on what varnish and paint you are going to use.
Mark

triumphjon

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 08:08:50 am »

i would fit the receiver as high up in the model as possible , that way its well above the water line !

LarryW

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »

THERE'S NO SHORT CUT TO A PAINT FINISH,  sand and fill hull to good finish then spray with car primer aerosol  ,when dry sand and fine tune any blemishes,
 do this a least 3 times . you should now have a fair finish for final spray colour ,    my tip is to paint a thin coat of fibreglass resin with a bandage on panel joints.
     as for battery position to stern  to lift the bow this will help the boat to get on the plane , as  John said try and get the receiver above water line and has much    aerial exposer .
      also you could fit a false removable deck to stow gear see my pics there's room  its all about forward planing hope this helps.......LARRY.... :-))

Mr Sam

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 06:50:15 pm »

rudder arrived today so got that in and linked up to the micro servo and has loads of travel so im hoping for good maneuverability

was hoping to locate the rx right at the back with the rudder and servo then the ESC right at the front (i read somewhere about locating them as far away from each other as possible to reduce interference)

no pics as i think ive left my camera in my girlfriends car doh!

Mr Sam

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »

finally some pics, im just waiting for the 4th coat of varnish to dry on the hull then if im happy with it i might start painting

Hull by Sam Tait, on Flickr

Rudder Servo by Sam Tait, on Flickr

heres my rudder setup appologies to the purists but i just glued the servo in  %)

Motor by Sam Tait, on Flickr

fear not though the motor is going to be removeable as ive a couple i want to try for best performace/running time

now then ive come to the point i just want to get out on the water! filled up my rather large pond but currently have nothing to sail on it so im very tempted to get a dickie tug that seems to be a massive hit on here, the other boat i keep watching on ebay are those mini jet boats are they any good?

Mr Sam

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 09:18:34 pm »

Veron River Police Launch by Sam Tait, on Flickr
 :}

thanks for everyones help still lots todo but it does what its sposed too

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 09:35:23 pm »

Hi Have you seen this picture of full size police launch?
regards Roy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 12:27:06 am »

But that one's a BPB Ex Seaplane tender.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tony52

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 08:03:03 am »

This is the full sized craft at Waterloo Bridge in 1940

and this I believe is the model in the NMM which Phil Smith designed the Veron model on.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/object.cfm?ID=SLR1631

Sam - your model is looking good.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 09:57:08 am »

Hi Circlip, thanks always liked seaplane tenders but never made the connection.
regards Roy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 10:43:43 am »

It is rumoured that "AC 2 Ross" did field trials of the ST, He was a mate of the owner (BPB)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

LarryW

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 11:46:17 am »

HI SAM,    looks good on the water,    show some pics of set up , where you put batt pack , and what esc are you using?
 still have police boat on sale,    LARRY.......

Mr Sam

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »

thanks for the pics :D

battery is right forward under the cabin, think it needs moving back as the nose doesnt rise much under full power but very large bow wave that almost fills the deck

lots of power though!!! im using the johnson 600 motor 20 amp speed controller and 7.2v race pack out an old tamiya RC car, like i say still lots todo but its a start
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.