Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Upholder ... a First Sub. Build  (Read 3977 times)

adam_goodin

HMS Upholder ... a First Sub. Build
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:05:25 pm »

Hi Guys,

Well, im off now till 7th September, so...what to do with my time %). Start HMS Upholder of course! O0

Starting the end of this week/Beginning of next I will be arranging my build of the Sub. and take pics as i go etc. Although a little nervous about my first sub. build, im eager to get going with it.

So, for now i say, watch this space over the next couple of weeks and I hope to speak to you all and receive comments as i go!

Cheers Guys  :-))

Peewee

• Full Mayhemer
    • Paddleducks
Re: HMS Upholder ... a First Sub. Build
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:01:37 pm »

Good luck and looking forward to the pictures
Ian
Still sane? who knows who cares?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:10:12 pm »

Hi Adam,

Which HMS Upholder are you building?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:21:53 pm »

Good luck Adam...you'll have no problems, trust me...

dave301bounty

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:38:57 pm »

Good luck to you , I shall be watching ,as I am trying to build the very same ,got the plans ,and the correct timber ,so I shall be watching a young fella do a good job .

getemuphigh

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 04:22:32 am »

Hi Adam,
Did you get going on this?
Pete.

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:33:25 pm »

Hi all...
 Well, finally after a very....very...long wait I'm ready to have a crack at my model!!

First of all, apologies for starting a build thread, and then going quiet!

Secondly, although I'm not new to model building, I am 100% brand new to Sub's - and needess to say, i'm absolutely bewildered at what on earth I need to go and buy for this!! So, any help, hints, advice and whatever else you can think of is massively appreciated!

I don't quite know were to start. So, here are some questions I hope can be answered:

• What radio gear would "you" recommend for HMS Upholder (it's the OTW kit by the way)
  • What Control system should I use? (ie. ESC's etc etc etc)
  • Importantly - Dive components - I am clueless to this at the moment and somewhat totally mind boggled!
  • Building the Sub it's-self? How do "you" keep your 2 halves together in the wet stuff?

Anything is better than nothing, thanks all   :-) :o :-)
Cheers,

-Adam-

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:02:00 pm »

What radio gear would "you" recommend for HMS Upholder

A 40mhz system with four channels or more. I would recommend getting at least 6 channels, as you may wish to add extra functions, or make another sub later on. In terms of make, Multiplex, Futaba, Hitec and JR are all very good. Multiplex and some of the JR radios are particularly worth looking at, as some of them offer synthesized tuners, which means you don't have to fuss around with crystals. Purchase a decent receiver- signal quality is greatly reduced underwater, so you want a receiver that can filter out the muck. Computer sets are a nice luxury, but really far from necessary for model submarines.

What Control system should I use?

I use microgyros ESC's for brushed, and Castle Creations for brushless. Mtroniks controllers are also widely used in submarines.

Importantly - Dive components - I am clueless to this at the moment and somewhat totally mind boggled!

Depends on your preferred ballast system, depth of pocket (if purchasing rather than scratchbuilding) and level of skill. For instance, piston tank systems are quite expensive if purchased, and difficult to make unless you have access to a lathe.

Other items like pipe for the pressure hull, seals for the motor and control shaft, are readily available. Seals for control rods can be scratchbuilt if you prefer. However items are available quite inexpensively. Bellows are also often used to seal control rods.

Some people like to use acrylic for the pressure hull, as it's transparent. Alternatives to this are PVC pipe (e.g. waste pipe) and polycarbonate. The latter is rather expensive, so is used less in the UK. PVC offers the same durability as polycarbonate, but is usually opaque, it's probably the cheapest option.

Building the Sub it's-self? How do "you" keep your 2 halves together in the wet stuff?

There are a few methods. I like to use a machine screw to hold hull halves together. You can often disguise this as a bollard etc.  Some people use ball catches, but these can come aprt sometimes in the water, so I'm not a fan. Small pegs made from brass rod help keep the two halves aligned and prevent the hull from spreading, which polyester laminates are prone to if left unsupported.

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 09:05:22 am »

Hi Adam,
Good luck with the build and sorry if you have already had a look at them but a lot of questions on dive systems are here and on the associated forum.
http://associationofmodelsubmariners.com/diving-systems-part-1.php
Looking forward to hearing about your build!
David

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:47:25 am »

Thanks for the reply guys. Much appreciated.
 I'll be doing some research over the coming few weeks into all of my options here.   :-)
Cheers,

-Adam-

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:26 pm »

Hi again....

Well - as much as the advice here has been well looked into and much appreciated... there's been an unfortunate change of circumstances, so the Sub. won't be getting built. I'd love to say I made a start, but I didn't and I doubt I will in the near future - So, unfortunately I'm going to have to sell her to a builder who will manage to build and sail Upholder!

I'm determined to build one at some point, so all your advice has been written down for when that time arrives! So, again, many thanks for the advice here guys, it is appreciated.  :-)
Cheers,

-Adam-
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.