Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Aquarama Build  (Read 174354 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Aquarama Build
« Reply #325 on: April 18, 2012, 10:28:33 am »

Boring? Not a bit. Utterly stunning, more like.

Though were it mine, I could never put it on the water if there was a risk of bumping it!  :D

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

ukmike

« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:00 am »

Boring? Not a bit. Utterly stunning, more like.

Though were it mine, I could never put it on the water if there was a risk of bumping it!  :D

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I fear it will get quite a few bumps once handed over to my hooligan grandsons, (they're not really), good lads both of them.

Mad Mike.

Longtime no hear, are you well ?

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2012, 06:09:52 pm »

yeah im fine. I havent commented on your thread since the meltdown so i dont get the updates for it. Im waiting for this boat to be finished, what im really looking forward to though is your interpetation of that venice ferry thing your gonna do with the fibire optic destination panel. Are you going to design the hull your self?

turbinecol

• Shipmate
« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2012, 08:32:58 pm »

Hi Mike,
Excellent work there, that LeTonkinois seems to be the varnish of choice on all these builds. How is the drying time and what are you doing about dust? Looks really terrific.

I too was in the site meltdown. Most frustrating.

Not done anything on my Riva since last year around November time. After I bought the boat in from the workshop the whole thing spent the winter moving around, the wood drying out I presume - I have some massive cracks in my varnish and the wood has split - rather fed up about it to be honest- the whole inlaid foredeck has taken a couple of big hits to it, which is virtually impossible to make an invisible repair to. In fact, the repairs are going to take quite a bit of skill, more so than I spent laying the entire deck in the first place I reckon!

I was using a two-pack trade furniture varnish which has the advantage it can be sprayed, dries fairly quickly, and can be cut with polishes and generally played around with like paint until it looks like a mirror. But unfortunately it wasn't able to cope with the amount of shrinkage going on, in fact it was rubbish at that and I wish I'd stayed with a conventional varnish.  It was all starting to look quite well too. Cursed British damp!

Almost on the home straight now Mike?

ukmike

« Reply #329 on: April 18, 2012, 08:55:47 pm »

Hello Colin.

The LeTonk, being an oil based varnish takes at least 24 hours before any rubbing down can be done. Always stays relatively flexible so that the wood can move about if it wants to.

Unfortunately, unlike the old recipe which you could apply a second coat before rubbing down, the current one has to be de glazed between coats which slows the progress somewhat.

As for dust specs, it isn't possible to totally stop them and frustratingly the finish can't be cut back with compound, unlike 2 pack.

I may try some non Ammonia very fine cutting paste, but at £20 a throw I also may not.

It would probably need to be machine applied anyway and I think the model would be too small for that.

Sad to hear about yours though, I wouldn't like to take on the repairs that are needed.

Mike.

turbinecol

• Shipmate
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2012, 10:28:01 pm »

Well, I am being patient with it. I always believe 'model-make in haste, repent at leisure', and this has certainly been a good time to step back a bit and work on other projects. The Airfix kits have had a good airing. And I've been playing a lot of snooker!

Noticing there are several internet Riva builds going on and we've all been stopped by the northern hemisphere winter. I find that quite amusing. All coming out of hibernation again now.

Colin

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:39 pm »

Hi Mike

Just found you again post meltdown
Looking great isn't she.

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: April 25, 2012, 06:28:13 am »

Maybe we should have a competition for the MBM's shiniest woodwork  O0
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

ukmike

« Reply #333 on: April 25, 2012, 07:20:43 pm »

Hi All.

After 10 coats it's not possible to improve on the finish, the only problem that I have now is the very small dust specs that are settling onto the still wet varnish.

I think that it's not going to be possible to totally eliminate these, given that I'm varnishing in our kitchen.

Does anyone know, or have any idea as to how I can cut the finished coat back to remove the dust specs.

Given that the Le Tonkinois varnish is a naturaly  soft finish, T-Cut, no, Toothpaste , no, 2500 paper, no.

Tried everything that I can think of, without luck.

Any ideas ? A photo of the 10th coat.

Mike.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: April 25, 2012, 08:21:41 pm »

Hi

A bit late for this build but maybe for your next one - http://www.negativeiongenerators.com/roomionizers.html
or something of that type. Sort of grab the dust out of the airn pre varnishing. What do you think?

Oh - yes I want to see the Venitian Waterbus build start too - that's another one I lost in the meltdown  {:-{

Dave

ukmike

« Reply #335 on: April 25, 2012, 08:38:48 pm »

Hi

A bit late for this build but maybe for your next one - http://www.negativeiongenerators.com/roomionizers.html
or something of that type. Sort of grab the dust out of the airn pre varnishing. What do you think?

Oh - yes I want to see the Venitian Waterbus build start too - that's another one I lost in the meltdown  {:-{

Dave

Hi Dave.

Happy machine, how good would that be ?

Vaporetto build, probably later this year, have most of the bits to start and a lot less precise than the Riva.

A build thread, maybe, will do if there will be any interest. It will be for me this time, first and possibly the last.

Who knows ?

Mike.

turbinecol

• Shipmate
« Reply #336 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:17 pm »

Mike, is it worth letting it really set for a good long time, (and it could well be a few weeks), then trying again with the cutting?

Looks jolly marvellous by the way.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #337 on: April 26, 2012, 12:08:39 am »

use brasso!! when i was school we worked with some perspex and after filing wet n dry we finally polished up the rough edgess with brasso. turned out like a mirror.

ukmike

« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »

15th and final coat of La Tonkinois, I don't think any more are needed now.

I think it's reasonable enough , still have the inevitable dust specs to deal with but have worked out how to remove these after the varnish has hardened, two or three weeks maybe.

You are right Colin, the harder the better for any retro work, thanks.

At least it will give me a change and a chance to finalise the interior, upholstery and deck fittings.

Couple of photo's

Mike.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #339 on: April 28, 2012, 11:34:29 pm »

hey mike find this the other day and thought hmmm:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_730.html

ukmike

« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2012, 07:47:27 am »

hey mike find this the other day and thought hmmm:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_730.html

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the link, that's the one that I have the plans for.

£210 is a little much but will have a search, see if it can be sourced at a little better price, a kit would certainly save an awful lot of work.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2012, 09:14:57 pm »

Hi Mike

Where did you get offered the best deal on your LeTonkinois varnish and did you have to buy anything else with it please?
Oh, and how much did you use too? - erm coverage type question.

Thanks Dave

ukmike

« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2012, 07:19:07 am »

Hi Mike

Where did you get offered the best deal on your LeTonkinois varnish and did you have to buy anything else with it please?
Oh, and how much did you use too? - erm coverage type question.

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave.
I got the varnish from Brian @ letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk   500ml  £12 plus £3.50 post.
I also bought a box of tack cloths locally from the Crown/Dulux trade centre together with a bottle of Rustins Turpentine.
All 15 coats on the boat plus some scrap test pieces and I have only used about half of the tin.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2012, 07:40:27 pm »

Here's the "New Look" Riva.  :((

Because I have to make provision for the fitting of the two metal bow protectors, which I should really have done earlier. I could, probably will, damage the finish.

I have decided to flat the lovely final coat, (there were some blemishes in it also), so that if I do cause some damage, it will be easier to correct before any final varnishing.

Will post some pictures of the bow pieces as I progress as it is going to be trouble I think, they are screwed in place by several 1mm chromed wood screws but they leave a gap at the very point of the bow.

I have fathomed a way to join them seamlessly but it may result in a little damage as it has to be done in situ.

Here are a few pictures of it looking very sorry for it's self.

Mike.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2012, 09:15:35 am »

You sanded that down?

I have a question....

ARE YOU MAD?

ukmike

« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2012, 12:40:09 pm »

You sanded that down?

I have a question....

ARE YOU MAD?

I'm quickly beginning to think so.

However, it's done now and I have roughly fitted the two bow pieces following a little pre shaping.

Have marked the areas that need a little more trimming before joining together to form 1 piece.

This is probably the most difficult part of the whole build, especially if a only perfect finish will do, wouldn't blame anyone building one of these to leave out these bits,

especially if the Mahogany planking is good at the bow.

Pictures showing the metal pieces, ( Stainless Steel I think ), and an indication of the size of the screws with the pilot drill compared to a 1p piece.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2012, 02:45:22 pm »

Here you go, the finished product,(almost, save for more final buffing ), and no damage to the woodwork.

Will post some photo's of the process that I used if it is of any interest.

Mike.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »

Please do that looks most excellent

turbinecol

• Shipmate
« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2012, 05:50:17 pm »

Yes, please elaborate, I am assuming you are going to tell us you silver soldered it or something like that?, but I fully expect you will surprise us? Neat job Mike.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »

That sanding down was the surprise of the year. O0

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.