Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Solar Powered boats  (Read 9764 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Solar Powered boats
« on: March 11, 2007, 02:40:29 pm »

has any one seen the inside back page of this months marine modelling international .
And the MMI solar boat challenge 2007 ,will anyone be having a go sounds like an interesting project
Where would you get the panels and how many to run a micro rx,servo's and a motor as the challenge is for remote control.
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

kendalboatsman

Re: Solar Powered boats
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:19:40 pm »

Hi,

I like the sound of that, so will have to go buy a copy of MMI. Maplins probably sell the solar panels, as to how many. Well that depends on the output of the cells you buy. You would need a minimum of 6v and 600-1000mah I think. That is just speculation based on the fact you would normally use a minimum of 1400mah nicads to power an R/C buggy.

Any electrical boffins who can give a guide figure, I realise the definitive answer is dependant on your choice of motors etc. (Sounds like waffle to me ;D)

Regards
Clive

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 04:29:52 pm »

Here's a prototype for you to model.

The 'Ra' is Britain's first passenger-carrying solar-powered boat. Designed and built in Germany and named after the Egyptian sun god, she travels silently on the Norfolk Broads.

Costing £55,000, the boat's maiden voyage was in September 2000.

The futuristic 30ft, 12-seater boat is powered by three rows of seven solar panels.

Rick

kendalboatsman

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 04:37:56 pm »

Isn't there also an Australian passenger ferry that is partly solar powered ???

I recall seeing an article on some energy efficient ferry that was being built.

Clive :)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 05:13:39 pm »

Chichester Harbour also has a solar powered catamaran, the Solar Heritage.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 07:41:08 pm »

This is the one I read about a few years back. http://www.solarsailor.com/

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 08:16:56 pm »

Im looking forward to seeing the article.
I wouldnt mind knowing a bit more about this subject of solar powered electrics.

You could use the solar panels for hatches on a coaster like Sydney star or Slipways 4 hatch coaster could it possibly work???

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 07:01:23 am »

thats just how the guys n gals at M.M.I. have depicted a couple of designs with the panels as hatches one looks like a barge the other like a coaster . E-bay have a few panels listed which may be of use ,but it all depends on the weight as we dont want the boat to be top heavy and too much weight would defeat the object as more power would be required

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 07:27:33 am »

I see where your going Portside, plenty of pros and cons to think about.

it would be good though if you could have a panel to charge your battery('s) while your running out on the lake just like the old school calculators did or still do.

the BIG question i think is just how much power could you get from a solar panel???

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 08:07:18 am »

My daughter has a small solar panel 10cms x 6cms which easily turns a 280 size motor. The panel came in a "scientific" kit I think from the natural world shop. I will measure the outputs and post results when I get a chance

kendalboatsman

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 08:43:42 am »

Here is some specification of the educational sets courtesy of www.maplin.co.uk

"Solar Cell Educational Kits

Basic Kit

An educational kit to help you explore solar energy power. The kit includes a solar panel (0.45V 400mA), a small DC motor, connecting wire, plastic fan spinner and turntables, coloured spinner disks, coloured paper models, screws and nuts. Aninteresting kit for children to enjoy. A very informative booklet is included, describing solar power in detail.

Advanced Kit

A more advanced kit which includes eight solar panels that produce 0.4V at 100mA each, and can be configured to produce 0.4V at 800mA or 3.2V at 100mA by connecting the cells in parallel or series, or a combination of both. It is possible to power small appliances, i.e. radios, personal cassettes, calculators, from sunlight. A detailed booklet is included in the kit, explaining how to connect up the cells. A small electric fan along with connecting straps and wire are included."

Hope that helps

PS They also have a range of commercial use solar panels for charging etc if you need more information.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 01:09:10 pm »

Hi,

As a point of interest, on Coniston Water in the lake District, there is a passenger ferry service that runs the length of the lake that runs mainly on solar panels with a small diesel generator to top up the batteries as required.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 04:07:02 pm »

I'm not sure about the Maplins "Experimental" panels as they look like pieces of salvaged panel stuck under the glass. I'm pretty sure thre are educational suppliers of better panels - I used to have a link to one on my office computer but I don't go to an office any more now. I might see if I can get a copy of the MMI - I don't think the motor power will be a problem but powering the r/c might be. If you are not allowed batteries, could you use a capacitor of some sort to store power until the servo needs a milliamp or more to move? I have a nasty feeling this will be won by an electrician (electronicist?) rather than a modeller!  I'd try a very broad beam and shallow draft barge with massive hatch covers. Can someone scan the MMI page in, or is that a copyright no-no?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 05:28:53 pm »

apologies to mmi if i have infringed their copywrite but here is the page .
also e-bay bave a few solar panels listed which might be usefull
Item number: 140094659801 85g each
Item number: 140092471103 

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 10:21:42 am »

I reckon a catamaran is favourite.  The weight needs to be kept to a minimum, and the surface area maximised.  With the general uncertianty of sunlight, some sort of battery back-up is needed.  Probably enough to work the radio reliably, charged from the solar panels.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 01:06:50 pm »

Now I've seen the rules and picked out my prototype, and ordered the motor and panels. However MMI don't seem to think solar power will work north of the midlands. I think we should have a Scottish touring gutter canal. Can one of the clubs get approval from MMI to build a canal? I wouldn't mind helping out with construction or contributing (a bit!) to expenses. It would help if MMI would publish a cross-section of the canal, with wl indicated. I'm off down to Essex this week for 10 days but will start sticking things together on my return. I reckon this could be fun, and I'll send my copy of MMI in to the grandson's CDT teacher. This is a good idea, and might help to get the young interested.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 03:50:23 pm »

. It would help if MMI would publish a cross-section of the canal, with wl indicated.

Looking at the photos I thought it was plastic guttering.

Barrie

PS -I agree about the location of events!

BarrieS

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 09:43:58 pm »

Greetings All,
 Yes the gutter canal is standard Marley Flowline 112mm square section gutter available from B&Q or FOCUS with 8 x 45degree bends and two lengths of 1.5M straight gutter. The bends are smoothed with pieces of 0.5mm plasticard and copeous  amounts of silicon sealant to make waterproof! The waterlevel is 15mm to the top of the gutter
If anyone purchases solar cells make sure they are the 60mm square 4v output at 100mA as there are lots of the old 0.5v cells on the market which are a little too large for the project. Give me a reply if you are having any problem purchasing.
Had a very successful event at Bridgend over the weekend (the sun helps).

BarrieS

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 11:58:02 pm »

Hi Barrie

We met at Bridgend.  Welcome to our little club  ( the best on the Net)

I was the one who put up some pictures of yourself and the course.  Hoping to make one of these little beauties.

See you at Weymouth

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

BarrieS

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 07:10:42 am »

Hi Ken,

Yes I remember you well!

Next show willl be Beale park in May better get Richard to order the sun!!

Barrie

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 12:39:47 am »

I might even build a test canal - and of course I could always use it for the pop-pop boats as well. Maybe that should be next year's challenge! Just got home to find my cells and motors have arrived from Middx Univ, with a copy of their catalogue, full of all sorts of interesting experimental/educational bits.

BarrieS

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 08:35:55 am »

The gutter canal is also very useful to operate the microsize R/C boats when the sun goes in! See Ken's photo of Bridgend show and the canal system, you can see the micro size r/c boats on standy in the middle of the canal. It is surprisingly skilful to operate these models under R/C when the lap timer is switched on!

Good to hear that the ordering system is working well for the solar cells.

BarrieS

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 10:48:49 pm »

Is anyone else building a solar powered drag boat for the MMI challenge?

Neil

johnukhenry

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 05:51:41 am »

Saw the the article in MMI magazine this month and the thought does appeal. The main thing putting me off is the chance of no competitions near by and a race of one here in London isn't much of a challenge.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 05:45:39 pm »

The Solar Challenge will be run at the Alfold Charity Model Boat Show, not to far from London, bring your other craft with you and have a great weekend with us, entry forms for the show see www.alfoldboatshow.co.uk
Hope to see you there
Alan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.