Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: My 12 foot Gato class submarine!  (Read 248397 times)

philk

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 12 foot gato class submarine video
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:05 pm »

So would you recommend shoving a grand piano or two in my U boat? :}

having spent all day sunday driving a 1/4 tonne of model destroyer round mote park bigger is definately better.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27895.150

phil

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:29 am »

having spent all day sunday driving a 1/4 tonne of model destroyer round mote park bigger is definately better.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27895.150

phil
Agreed , 1.2 tons does it for me , but not the submersing bit. (31ft HMS Invincible)
..well can you land on this?

sub john

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2011, 10:39:50 am »

Reply#75
HI Phil, Been watching video boat looks good on the water  looks like a nice piece of water that you sail on, where i used to sail it was 90ft deep. I have got a fast electric boat brushless motor fitted giro controlled trim tabs goes like stink. What is the length of the boat Phil biggest problem i find with the sub is trying to get it into the water and out again
  All the best John

sub john

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2011, 10:57:25 am »

HI Mad Mike
 Took video link out yesterday with on screen display board fitted to video link unit was sending back compass heading battery voltage and other bits Pauline was sat in the car watching LCD screen watching picture coming back with data on screen i was walking around the field with all the gear in my hands and also got radio link to talk back to Pauline to make sure video link was working all seem to work spot on but what did i start to get people walking up to me asking what I'm doing it does get beyond a joke i do get fed up with it. I will now give you a laugh i was down testing a LF aerial and it was made of two bits of crossed sticks with wire going around it and some women phoned up the police and said there was a guy with a cross bow point it about at people, what did i get the police turn up to see what was going on it was not funny at the time but i can laugh about it now
                John

MikeA

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2011, 01:30:56 pm »

im afriad were plagued with stupid people especially ones who cant tell the difference between a man carrying a weapon and a man carrying a peice of radio equipment.

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »

Reply#75
HI Phil, Been watching video boat looks good on the water  looks like a nice piece of water that you sail on, where i used to sail it was 90ft deep. I have got a fast electric boat brushless motor fitted giro controlled trim tabs goes like stink. What is the length of the boat Phil biggest problem i find with the sub is trying to get it into the water and out again
  All the best John

evening john.

the boat is in old money 15 ft 9 inches. we launch it with a ramp whick works rather well have attached a picture for more info check out our website www.atboatyard.co.uk

sub john

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2011, 07:53:57 pm »

Reply #80
Hi Phil, I thought the sub was big at 12 foot but your boat is a monster, had a look at your website saw that you was using positive drive belts on propshafts i use the same thing in my sub on my drive motors how i get my sub in to the water is it sits on a buggy with straps that the sub sits in and of course the buggy has got wheels the idea is you push it down slip way into water and sub flouts off but it is still had work,
    All the best John

sub john

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »

Reply #79
 HI Mad Mike, Well Mike i had Pauline the other half outside spraying the sides of the deck on the sub today, so the sub has just had a bit of a face lift need to look at spraying a few bits on the hull next, plus little bit still to do on the deck and conning tower Mike are you any good at spraying because the other says she has had enough but she does do a good job i don't no many females that would do it but secretly i think she likes doing it.
    John

MikeA

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:14 pm »

lol my misus paints my boats i dont do painting  :-))

sub john

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2011, 11:06:10 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Cx2wZ38zk

here is a video of some of the spraying the misses had to do lol lots of it

MikeA

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2011, 11:21:38 pm »

looking good when you getting it on the water then? gonna be a like a second maiden voyage

sub john

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2011, 05:57:05 pm »

Reply #85
HI Mad Mike, I don't think the sub will be on the water until next year now need to do work on the trailer found a crack on the chassis of the trailer need to look into that a bit more can't afford to put sub in the trailer and some thing silly happen to the sub. Mike when we did thread with possibilities you said could you link the TX and RX aerials together it would not be a good idea to do that did you think about linking it with fibre optic cable, that way it would be light and would not hold back submersible plus you could send video down fibre optic cable as well
     John

MikeA

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2011, 06:11:40 pm »

that requires something clever to be done and im not the man to do it. someone sugested using a umbilical lead from the tx to the sub then having somekind of chip to convert the data into servo movement. dont know how to go bout that either some im ****** either way.

sub john

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »

Reply #87
HI Mad Mike, If you wonted to use an umbilical lead to the submersible for controlling it you could come out of your buddy lead socket on side of TX unit send it into laser diode send it down fibre optic cable to submersible which would be end coded from TX unit all you need to do now is pick it up with photo transistor on other end of fibre optic cable and decode it which is pretty easy to do could work circuit out for you would you be able to build it from circuit diagram have a think and let me no. Video pictures can also be sent down fibre optic cable as well. Have been playing around with RC radio for a long time
     John

MikeA

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2011, 11:18:06 pm »

where would i source parts like that from  {:-{ i got to tell you i hate electronics, im all mechanical. dont understand electronics at all it was only a few months ago i managed to get my head around the difference between volts and amps,  i can visualise complex mechanical motion i cant apply the same thought process to electric.

If you could make a circuit diagram and dumb it down i would much appreciate that. unless you make me one at a reasonable fee  :-))

and isnt fibre optica cable expensive? well have to see what can be done

sub john

« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2011, 07:05:47 pm »

Reply #89
 HI Mad Mike, Fibre optic cable can be expensive to buy but you can buy fibre optic cable now that is plastic in the center and that is not that expensive, i could help you to make the boards if you won't is not a problem for me to work the electronics  out there is also another way of doing this i worked out a circuit once that could send a video picture down say two bell wires side by side, and i got this to work down 500 metres full colour picture i dear was you did not have to use expensive screen cable would be ideal for what you won't sending back video from under water. Data for controlling submersable could be sent down same cable you could super impose data on sub carrier. If battery's where in submersable cable link to it could be very thin have a think
 John

MikeA

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2011, 09:13:04 pm »

my plan was to mount all power supply and switching in sub. i have seen a lot of plans on net using a massive 10 ply umbilical cord because they use relays. if i can send a signal that would make the sub a lot more manoeuvrable. I'm also planning on it being quite small and thinking about using a spherical design. with two thruster pods on either side using tank steering to controll the vehicle, thus eliminating the need for servos and rods exiting the hull. i also figure that if the main hull of the sub is a ball then there is no seams so the water pressure with equalise around  the circumference of the sub balancing out the stresses.

i dont know what a bell wire is im sorry, but its sounds like a good plan. ive seen some fibre optic cable going on ebay, quite cheap actually well cheaper than i thought.

Im not sure what you mean though by super imposing the data on the sub carrier. explain please in dumb terms  %%

thanks

check this out for a supply of fibre optic:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOB-LOT-FIBRE-OPTIC-CABLE-50-125-/160643421998?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingCables_RL&hash=item256718172e

sub john

« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2011, 10:24:17 pm »

Reply#91
 Hi Mad Mike, First point to make is if you design this right there will be no relays they are no use to man or beast, don't trust the things all you need to do is send data down very thin cable every thing in the sub will be decoded every thing can be made to work  the thrusters for manoeuvring  sub what you call tank control  steering can all be done with software  speed controllers will be solid state meaning no relays, and will be from very slow RPM to full throttle i have got the same unit in my 12 foot gato but it does other things as well.  You don't have to use fibre optic cable you could do it with audio cable same thing as you use on hi-fi equipment.  WHEN I SAID THAT YOU COULD SEND VIDEO down bell wire thinking how to explain  you could send video down speaker cable but you have to have the electronics to do it not a problem , had to design circuit for job at work but won't say to much about that, have worked on all sorts of strange things. SUPER IMPOSING DATA ON SUB CARRIER same sort of idea as how your 40MHZ radio works but these sub carriers are super imposed on the main carrier  so you can end up with multi audio channels same as how it works on sky analog  SORRY MIKE its hard for me to make it simple for you to understand, as for me it seems so easy hope it helps. But I'm willing to help
 All the best John

MikeA

« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »

dont worry about it, i dont know how any of my rc's work they just do and thats cool with me.  :-))

if speaker cable was used then would it be the 2 ply kind. would you send the control data down 1 side and would the sub send video feed back threw the other? if the sub was to send the camera data back would that require a lot of voltage?

BarryW

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »

Hi John, (sub_john)...

I see you have made it to the big time... ;o)

For those who don't know, John akcnowleges me on his original video as giving him some of the many ideas that are in his boat.
I am probably the only person in the world he trusts with any of his secrets and I am proud to think that I have been part of his
project in the past.

Many thanks John.

The real time video recording of the boat underwater is simply the most breathtaking thing ever and was done around 20 years ago.
My van was used as the mobile recording "studio" and the RF links were in the Amatuer, RC and CB bands.

I was once this guys mentor, but he has even surpassed me for both practical and theoretical knowledge that I wopuld pit him against
best in the world for finding simple solutions to often VERY difficult problems...

His sub is a fully working example that proves the case...

He has solved an idea I put forwards to him some years ago - transmitting RF underwater - all I can say is WOW!

I'm lurking again...

I'll be watching... ;o)

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...

sub john

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2011, 07:22:19 pm »

Reply #93
HI Mad Mike, All data for radio RC and for video on submersible  could use very thin 4 core cable 1.5mm thick would not course much drag in the water, and no there would not be any high voltages on cable. You could make it so if wire link to submersible got snagged you could release cable link submersible would go into radio failsafe and get it self to the surface that way you can retrieve it back out of the water. How big was you thinking about making this and will it have ballast tanks
                John

sub john

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2011, 07:37:55 pm »

Reply #94
 HI Barry, Nice to hear from you on mayhem, thanks for the nice comments I have always looked at Barry as a very clever guy and some body  i can lock heads with and have a conversation with about complicated things and he understands where I'm going  Barry is the only person that i trust with electronic bits that i have done, and he understands how hard some of it is to do. Barry who had origanal copy of sub under water have asked Derek but he said he cannot find it idea was to try to find best copy as copy i have must be third copy down, have got some of the video at model exhibition London 1993  thanks Barry 73s
  All the best John

sub john

« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2011, 12:35:15 pm »

these are some pictures snapped of the TV showing the on screen display for the submarine top left hand corner is  compass heading       top right hand corner is the depth reading of the sub in the water      bottom of the screen is the battery voltage      and also shows the temp

this picture is just showing osd with no video picture

this picture shows video picture with osd running

this is the pcb with compass heading unit what links to the auto pilot

MikeA

« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2011, 01:01:02 pm »

wow look at all that lab gear in your dry dock!! tv looks great btw :-)) have you mangaed yet to hook it to the auto pilot? btw your expertise could probably shed some light here:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32593.0

sub john

« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2011, 07:02:13 pm »

Reply#98
 HI Mad Mike, Yes i need some of this test gear with the stuff i mess about with, most of it you can not see on the screen of the TV you haven't seen anything  like it in my room  just full of electronics my den where i get up to no good. Haven't had time to design auto pilot yet for the sub just spent the last two days sanding all the wood on the deck of the sub  but having problems with the varnish seems to be taking a long time to dry, think it is because so much varnish soaked into the wood but it does seem to be drying in places now do not won't to have to do it again. Will have to have a look on link that you sent me, i went on one thread and tried to explain why 2.4 ghz doesn't get through water but it went down like a lead balloon and was told a simple NO would do. Still playing around with low frequency  video link got it working but not happy with it yet
      All the best John
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 23 queries.