Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hood  (Read 18356 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Hood
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:02:06 pm »

New Hachette partwork. Also advertised on TV.

http://www.buildabattleship.co.uk/

CF-FZG

HMS Hood
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:08:46 pm »

Anyone going to be building the Hachette part-works HMS Hood?

I'll get issue one and take it from there, but reeeeeeeally tempted with this one.

Oh, before I forget <*<

YES!

I know how much it'll cost buying it weekly - but some of us can't afford to shell out such a large amount in one go, whereas spread over a couple of years is affordable.

So PLEASE, no comments about how it's a waste of money :police:

Mark

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: If you've finally built the Bismarck - try the Hood.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »

hope hachette do better with the Hood,than Deagostini! I had signed up for their version,and received the first 4 issues before they decided to pull it.I did however,after a lot of hassle,get an almost full refund from them. I found it a bit strange that the handwritten cheque came from Hachette though !

The long Build

Re: HMS Hood
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:16:36 pm »

Is it weekley or fortnightly , Any Ideas how many issues ?.

The long Build

Re: If you've finally built the Bismarck - try the Hood.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:17:48 pm »

Reading the various forums I belive the 2 companies are are related somehow..

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:02 pm »

please see my reply to colinbishop,on the same subject?

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 07:19:17 pm »

So PLEASE, no comments about how it's a waste of money :police:

Mark

that's the only comment i could make so will keep quiet..have you ever heard of a piggy bank and putting away that money each week till you can afford a Fleetscale one....much better quality and bigger.

142 issues i believe.

treeboa

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »

will end up a hellish price by the time its finished, if the tiger tanks anything to go by the detailing leaves a lot to be desired, add to that this type of thing has a failure to keep going because apparently the company says lack of interest - the webs full of unhappy people who got into these bi weekly `kits`,  is it of a scale that you can get better detail parts for` off the shelf`, realistically will it be capable of being converted to r/c, personally i think i would be saving my cash and getting something from say fleetscale or similar

nelsona

hachette Hood
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 07:38:16 pm »

Wondered if anyone would be interested? Saw a TV advert today for a new Hachette build of HMS Hood, not even sure if this is the right section to post? no doubt I will be informed! :-)) <*< <*<

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »

Topics merged.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

craftysod

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 07:47:01 pm »

£880 for the Hood any takers,thats before you think of putting r/c in

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:06:45 pm »

Irrespective of other considerations, can you be sure that the project will run its full course in the prevailing economic situation?

Colin

mikearace

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:26 pm »

Understand the attraction of paying weekly as a way of budgeting and not noticing the total hit in one go but if my memory serves me correctly this is now the third attempt in less than 12 months at a Hood partwork none of which ran their course past I think 4 issues and 13 issues.  If it runs it course all well and good but Sid Vicious once said never trust a hippy but I think he really meant a part work company.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 09:13:18 pm »

What Hood kit are there out there as an alternative?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jimmy2310

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 09:25:33 pm »

Westbourne Models do a premium kit but its over £11OO, and its a beauty.

Jimmy

mickyrubble

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 11:55:50 pm »

I'm  giving it a go as Ive already built their Bismarck and have a Prize Eugen kit at the same scale.I would have to congratulate  Hatchett for producing this model  at this time of recession and i don't think the price  is too high when its spread out over 140 issues ,any way those that don't think so are not being forced to buy it!!!!!.

PS, just an idea for hatchett ,what about POW or Ark Royal next
 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Philipsparker

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:18:29 am »

that's the only comment i could make so will keep quiet..have you ever heard of a piggy bank and putting away that money each week till you can afford a Fleetscale one....much better quality and bigger.

142 issues i believe.

But the money you spend on the partwork partly goes to cover the instructions. Having seen those for the Bismark, they really are step by step and well photographed. No one is producing kits with such comprehensive instructions, they couldn't afford to.

Each to his own but if you've not built a model like this before then it's worth considering. If you can handle taking the bits out of the box and having to work out how to use them (I simplify a bit, but not much looking at some kits) then you can buy the complete kit and save money. No one is forcing anyone to buy one of these part-works so I can't understand why people get so wound up.

Phil

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 10:27:10 am »

I have seen their bismark built, it is a very nice piece of kit. If you want a near on six foot Hood buy the Fleetscale model, however, not everyone is mad enough to want big models ( My biggest model is 4.2 metres long...). At the bottom of their page is a clue to the lineage of this model, Amati have their name on this product. Barring the Riva their stuff is usually of the highest quality. Also the weekly publications act as an excellent 'how to' for the average modeller.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

tony52

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 01:56:32 pm »

HMS Hood 1:350 plastic kit converted to r/c would be my preffered option.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 05:54:19 pm »

Well the Bismarck kit was quite good, I wouldn't say brilliant and I thought there was a quite a bit of room for
 improvement in design and a few processes could have been thought through a little better considering this
 was aimed at the novis builder.   Eg: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4024.msg58517;topicseen#msg58517

Yes the instructions and photos are particullary good but even with such clear instructions I found gaping errors
 eg. planks should be glued together longitudinally as well as to the frames. I know it's obvious as this was my first
(and only) plank on frame build, I didn't know that and was expecting that there was a reason not to do so!
( Solution: pot of watered down PVA and a big brush! )

There were instructions for fitting RC to the model but they were 'hopeful' at best!

The supplied extra information about the life of the Bismark, other warships, navel battles were particularly
 good... and I suspect about to be repeated again in the Hood series!

Are these two the same?

http://www.buildhmshood.com/
http://www.buildabattleship.co.uk/index.html

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 06:05:09 pm »

So thats the 2 biggest partwork suppliers releasing the same model at the same time

Only done one Hachette partwork and that was the O gauge flying scotsman..... Not an experience myself and many others would want to repeat

I have completed the Deagostini partwork spitfire and very slowly working on the HMS Victory
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Down below

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »

Two Hoods seem to have been market tested, Hatchet's version seem's to have won the race.

The mighty Ood looks the same format and length of time to build as the Bismarck series (140wks), but is way more costly at around £840 plus an additional cost to R/C (the R/C pack for the Bissy was around £100).

I think the success of these thing has a lot to do with being able to spread the cost, I just wonder how many might buy if it was an outright purchase of £840?
The down side is that you won't know what the overall quality of parts is like until they land, and where these series always seem to have a discreet disclaimer "items may vary from those shown" which gives leave for a multitude of sins.

I suppose its each to there own, if you buy then you know what its going to cost at the outset and how long before you will have all the parts, though there seem to be a growing number of kits on the market that have gone the kit pack route, where you buy a pack to progress to the next stage and therefore spead the cost such as Panarts Amerigo Vespucci, and at least you can buy to suit yourself rather than being stuck with the weekly or monthly 2.5 year drip feed of a series kit.

mikearace

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 06:42:30 pm »

The d'agostini site also lists the Agaki.  Now that would be worth it to me.  Cant tell if its a live issue or just started or defunct

Down below

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 08:35:19 pm »

It appears to be a recent release, I can't say I've seen a 1/250 version or any version beyond being a plastic kit

CF-FZG

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 08:45:06 pm »

The d'agostini site also lists the Agaki.  Now that would be worth it to me.  Cant tell if its a live issue or jsut started or defucnt

It does say you can buy it at £24 per month for 25 months,  looks like it was launched about 2 months ago :-))

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.