Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe U47 (U96) re-fit  (Read 11525 times)

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
Re: Robbe U47 (U96) re-fit
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »

Andy,

Unless you know something I don't know about Robbe's business plan (if there is one), and you are assured they no longer will produce those items, knocking off their product is still wrong.

What rational will you employ to justify pirating to those who (may) buy the U-47 tooling with the expectation of producing a unique product for sale? By making the parts less 'unique' and unattainable through fan-based tool and part making, you kill the incentive Robbe or another company has to continue production of the kit (and support parts) at a later date.

Once all we baby-birds have fed ourselves we no longer have a use for mother-bird, and she flies away forever.

David
"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 02:02:31 pm »

Robbe no longer list any of their submarine kits, and I notice a lot of submarine spare parts that used to be listed on their site are no longer there. The marine range seems to consist of a few RTR models- a fraction of their original range. It's a pity because it removes what was a fairly inexpensive range of submarine kits from the market. They weren't perfect by any means, and i was always surprised that Robbe didn't fix some of the shortcomings of those kits over the years they were in production, although the Seawolf did get a 'version 2' warmover.

I very much doubt that Robbe will sell the tooling on, I've never seen anything done like this in the past with either Robbe or Graupner, both of whom have a wide range of boat kits that have come and gone.

eddieboote

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 12:44:07 pm »

Interesting if that really is the end of the Robbe U-47 kit. Buying Grims sub was just about right, for timing. I guess the only choice is a 1:72nd Revell (but its too small), or the bigger Engel super dooper kit. Really nice but maybe for many too expensive. I'll follow the recommendations for the VIIB to VIID build, I'll start one day. Bloke from Hong Kong sells loads of tubing I've seen on e-bay. I'll make a mould for the hull extension. Done my calculations and I have to extend the Robbe U-47 by 25cm concerning the around extra 10metre of hull they added to create the VIID. For the mines, I have an idea for real explosive types. {-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »

I can think of at least two other choices for Type VII's. You have the OTW kit, and the old Darnell hull still produced by Models by Design. These are GRP hulls, and thus much stronger than the ABS plastic used on the Robbe kit.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.