Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Trumpeter Kilo 1/144  (Read 27879 times)

redboat219

Re: Trumpeter Kilo 1/144
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2012, 02:35:22 am »

Any updates?

coolbumble

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »

Many thanks for your interest still experimenting !! but have had a few problems with the  receiver going  haywire and a small air pump I had sent me did not work!!! however that was replaced although from the far east so took a little time . And although it pumped air it had about the same back flow !! so back to square one . The problem being its a very small wtc and what you can get to fit in it is limited.
However I have overcome most of the problems using a valve for the pump which is enclosed in the box with a micro switch and i am awaiting a new small receiver from far away!! Ive made the battery and you can see it's connection
Posting a few pictures which don't show much as the wtc is more than cluttered and the receiver leads are taped together at the moment. I am going to do a few trials without a balloon first as mentioned earlier in the post and if it "drowns" a balloon .
Will keep you posted
Ian  :-))

redboat219

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2012, 05:46:25 am »

Where did you get your WTC  and for how much? 

coolbumble

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2012, 09:39:59 am »

Hi
The WTC was cut from tubing I had which I bought from a UK supplier 44mm internal width 2mm walls .cost a few pounds a meter and the end caps were made by MMB to match the tube sending them a sample of the tube. Total cost no more than £30 £35 including the tube when bought a few months back
MMB a UK company are very reasonable I am sure if you email them they will give you a quote for what you require
mmbshop@hotmail.com and check out their web site  MarksModelBits.com
They also sell components on Ebay
Regards
Ian  :-))

redboat219

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2012, 01:11:15 pm »

Hi
The WTC was cut from tubing I had which I bought from a UK supplier 44mm internal width 2mm walls .cost a few pounds a meter and the end caps were made by MMB to match the tube sending them a sample of the tube. Total cost no more than £30 £35 including the tube when bought a few months back
MMB a UK company are very reasonable I am sure if you email them they will give you a quote for what you require
mmbshop@hotmail.com and check out their web site  MarksModelBits.com
They also sell components on Ebay
Regards

too bad I'm in the far east. I need a 2" OD 1.5mm walled lexan tubing. Shipping  cost is 2-3x more than price of item.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2012, 02:24:03 pm »

Sometimes you can get PVC piping in the right size and it tends to be a bit thinner thickness. Or how about laminating some pipe from GRP.

redboat219

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »

Yup that's would be a cheap  alternative, unfortunately I'm not sure if I can find a PVC pipe that'll accept  the endcaps and bulkheads from a 2" O.D.  sub-driver unit.   

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:15 am »

Make some new endcaps from some sheet plastic.

coolbumble

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2012, 10:18:39 pm »

Hi Well I cant believe I started this last September but it has kept me busy and the replies which I appreciate have been helpful and interesting.
Its has taken longer than I anticipated and the main problem being the lack of suitable hardware small enough to go in a 44mm diameter wtc  29cms long with three compartments .OK there may have been another way ie a smaller motor etc but I'm committed to what I have .
Ive opted for a miniature air pump using a home made pinch valve actuated by a mini servo which also works the micro switch for the air pump. The pump in turn inflates the balloon in the middle compartment displacing the water therein and when deflated fills again with water its a RCABS. I have tried the other methods mentioned and have flooded the pump compartment more than a few times possibly because of the area to flood is so small. ( I rest it there ) !!  
However a couple of trials and the balloon method seems to work just needing a "little tuning" and we may be there !!! The transmitter aerial would appear not to function well inside the wtc I had the same problem with my revell VC11 and moved it outside although the revell gato was ok !!
Posting a few pics
The first enclosing the ESC pinch valve microswitch and air pump all in 44mm by 6 cms length The balloon compartment and lastly the motor srevos and transmitter . A bit of tidying to do but it has been modified so many times !! Maybe a remake  sometime but see how it all goes !!!

Davy1

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:17 am »

That looks very good. I particularly like the miniature pinch valve.

I always get slightly worried by crinkly rubber balloons though. Don't ask me why!

I wonder if you can't obtain something like a rubber balloon but of thicker gauge material?

I am surprised that you are having problems with the aerial. The usual practice on (admittedly slightly bigger) submarines is to wind it "serpentine fashion" (i.e not a coil) on to a piece of card. I do it this way and get  full range on a boating lake.

Interesting build. Thanks.

David

coolbumble

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2012, 11:37:25 am »

Hi David
Yes I'd prefer a better balloon and have searched high and low but no luck  (has anyone any idea's)
the problem being it needs to be so small. 
With regard to the aerial I have wrapped them this way and inside the WTC but as I said previously did not work on my Revell VC11 for any real distance and neither on the Kilo !!
Regards
Ian

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2012, 12:00:31 pm »

You're right next to the motor there, that doesn't help.

In the states they use blood pressure monitor cuffs. I think for the Kilo they used one designed for babies or very small children at least.
There is Nesquick Go. These use foil bags, which are incredibly strong, similar to Capri sun drinks, but the bags are small (they hold 80ml). Not sure if that's small enough, but might be worth looking into.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/tesco-price-comparison/yogurt_and_milk_drinks/nestle_nesquik_go_chocolate_pouch_4x80g.html

Patrick Henry

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »

Andy...is there NOTHING that you don't have a link for?  {-)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2012, 12:41:01 pm »

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2012, 01:45:59 pm »

Andy...is there NOTHING that you don't have a link for?  {-)

Well I saw one those Nesquik bags as litter a while back, and logged it in the old mark one memory bank should I, or someone else have a need for a small bag for a ballast system. Those foil bags are incredibly strong, and the ones with a screwed on spout are easy to hook-up to a pump, water or air.

coolbumble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2012, 12:07:17 am »

Hi All
 Back on the site although awhile ago and a lot of difficulty as it would not accept my old password due to it being to short (worked OK before
So have changed my password and I am on although a guest on my own thread.
 Its been a long time and the Kilo is finished albeit not as I wished after many attempts to do otherwise I have settled for it to be a dynamic diver.Ive left the front planes operational and its well weighted down I trust it will work ok ,will keep  you informed
Maybe another attempt another day but enough for now !I think my main problem was the small diameter of the wtc with all the equipment I could not find sufficient air to  inflate the balloon to make it surface.
A few pics
Happy diving

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2012, 02:01:08 am »

It can be done. I even crammed in TWO ballast sub-systems. One gas, the other a simple Low Pressure Blower (LPB). I use the LPB normally, and gas only when I get stuck on the bottom. Works like a charm.

David,

"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

redboat219

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:22 am »

What if you pressurize the wtc to provide the extra air  needed?

David
           Would it be possible to combine the LPB with a bladder, sort of a SAS-RCABS Hybrid?
"Better is the enemy of good enough"

merriman

• Full Mayhemer
  • I wanna go back ....
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2012, 11:35:45 pm »

I would rather chew glass and pass it with legs crossed!

But, we're off-topic. Let's not hi-jack the man's thread, Redboat.

David
"Anything the human mind can conceive is possible -- you know that, Blake!"

redboat219

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2012, 09:51:01 am »

Any updates?

coolbumble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2012, 12:31:41 pm »

Thanks for  your interest.
I have let it lay for awhile but thinking of having another go just deciding what system other than a dynamic diver

coolbumble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2012, 11:44:41 pm »

Must be 4 months now since my last post on the Kilo  Admit I was more than Pdddd with it !!!
Well I have been busy again in an attempt to get it to work and it would appear at last I have reached success !!!
I disbanded the old wtc  and decided to go for something bigger and have used 60mm o/d for the end compartments this giving me more room and importantly more air ! The front wtc housing the batteries which are rechargeable in situ the centre tube is 50 mm o/d and as you can see is drilled with holes for water in water out using a very small blood bag to do this ( which is much stronger than the original idea of a Kiddies balloon !) The rear housing having the air pump, pinch valve servos  receiver and a brushless speed controller the waterproof brushless motor outside. The servo operating the pinch valve also operates the micro switch for the air pump
 The inside ends of the large wtc's are made from acrylic and glued on with the centre wtc ends being bolted to them 
The current is supplied from the front wtc by two brass tubes one either side which also allows the passage of  air to the rear wtc for the air pump.
I have a little more modelling to do to the sub but on testing repeatably today with the wtc mounted in the hull it sinks and floats and no leaks.
Well yes there is one point you have to use the airbag to float it but I'm happy with that now it has the stronger airbag.  Might try to squeeze in a fail safe but I doubt if theres the room .
It did take a while sorting the wretched speed controller working forward and reverse but its ok just dont go to fast with the revs !!!

redboat219

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2012, 12:00:23 am »

Hello. I think you can do away with the central perforated cylinder containing the airbag.  It may actually restrict the bag's expansion. 

coolbumble

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »

Hi
Take your point but it only just fills it and would not make any difference. The centre section does hold it all together and it works. Also the balloon inflates in the same position each time keeping the sub stable. Maybe a mod worth trying next time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards

redboat219

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2012, 06:13:38 am »

Can you post photos of her on patrol?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.