Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Natterer - A shipbuilding Odyssey?  (Read 23107 times)

Ted Welding

Natterer - A shipbuilding Odyssey?
« on: September 27, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey?

In 1977 I set out to build a steam launch.  In 2010 I finally finished it. 

So what had I accomplished in the intervening 33 years?  Well,quite a lot – I learnt how to machine metal; how to draught a boat’s lines; how to build a wooden hull; how to install a steam plant and fairly simple electronics; and how to stop bleeding and apply sticking plasters.

A lot of you will know Bryan Young, a very regular contributor to the Mayhem Forum, and a very good friend of mine.  He’s badgered me for a long time to write up the build and post photos of ‘Natterer’.  If Bryan thinks she’s good enough, then who am I to argue?

I had written a partial write-up many years ago, to put in my club newsletter (circulation at least ten people – a very small club, but beautifully formed), so I’ve used this as the starting point, and added further sections and photos to suit.

Hope you like it!  I’ll post a couple of photos now, then add more text as we go along

logoman

Re: Natterer - A shipbuilding Odyssey?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »

very nice indeed, i'd love to see her on the water without the dolls.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:14 pm »

Hi Ted,

Congratulations on your completion, it's beautiful! Named after your good lady in the traditional way.....?

Based on SL 'Bat' predominantly I guess? I love the hull form in carvel with the fixings showing. You've done a great job on the plant, it is very neat and compact indeed.

It's hard to tell from the photos; how big is the launch?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:29:37 am »

Hullo Ted...a very interesting engine/boiler build  :-))

1. remote water gauge...a second water gauge?
2. remote elctronic water sensing?
3. a boiler water make up pump under the wooden box?
4. two gauges?

I am sure many Mayhem members would like to see more images of the engine & boiler setup........& read the detail.....

Congratulations.....Derek

Oh yes........the hull is a classic too.... O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

KBIO

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 07:29:35 am »

Hello!
Very nice indeed! Absolutly perfect! :-))
I would think like Logoman that the launch is a bit crowded with dolls. :embarrassed: Because, in fact, we love boats here, but dolls.................... %)
And I never understood how the old ladies could go sailing with such dresses and hats and wigs,..................... %% But... %%I am!
Congratulations Ted and we would like to see more.
Cheers! ok2

Ted Welding

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:46:47 am »

Hi All,

Many thanks for the positive comments!
Natterer is six feet long (1.8 m)
Broadly based on 'Bat', but with enough changes that I felt I couldn't call her that anymore.
She has an ABC boiler control system, and a host of bits and pieces crammed under the deck
She looks empty on the water without the crew, and the original boat is only 27' long (8.1 m), so yes, she is fairly crowded!
I've written a whole series on the build-up, which will hopefully answer all the detail questions as we go along, so will be delighted if you persevere!
Bryan tells me I've reduced the pictures too much, so detail is lost when blown up - will attend to that!
Have to rush now, but will try and post the first instalment of the build tonight

Regards

Ted

steamboatmodel

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:32:14 pm »

Will definatly be watching for more posts.
Regards,
Gerald.

Ted Welding

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:06:19 pm »

First instalment! I never intended when I started to build Natterer that I would someday write up the story, so photos in the early days are few and not necessarily of good quality - but they do improve!  Hope you like the 'narrative' style!

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey?

Ann, the better third, made a serious error of judgement in 1977 to compound the one she had made in 1974 when she married me. Despite all the warning signals that she had seen in three years of marriage, she failed to recognise she had a fanatical modeller on her hands, and asked me what I wanted for Christmas.

Well this was too good an opportunity to miss, and it germinated the seed of an idea I had been toying with for years- I wanted to build a steam launch!  So she gulped, looked at our finances, and bought me a Unimat SL lathe.   

As luck would have it, that year we had a holiday in the Cotswolds, and wouldn’t  Henley-on-Thames be a nice place to visit, and look! - there might be an interesting shop over there, down that little alley we can’t quite see from here, but if we go over the road……?

Yes, Stuart Turner Ltd still had their premises there in 1977, before they decamped for the Channel Isles, and before the day was out I was the proud possessor of a set of castings for a Stuart Launch engine, and Ann was £19.80 lighter in pocket with a suspicion she had been out-manoeuvred. (Incidentally, that same set of castings would now cost £282 !)

Now the brighter ones amongst you will have twigged that there appears to be an element of cart before horse here, as no mention has been made of a boat to put said engine in. That’s right, Ted had got it xxxx about face, and hadn’t got a clue as to what sort or size of boat he would eventually build!
That didn’t matter really, as I considered that the heart of the project was the engine, and that a suitable hull would crop up eventually.

So off to the engine, and the realisation that I was going to have to learn a lot of new techniques in order to machine a relatively large engine on a lathe that was basically tiny. First rule of learning - start on a simple part, where it wouldn’t matter if I ruined it - so what do I start with? - That’s right - The cylinder block!

No, I’m pleased to say I didn’t ruin it, but the lathe was very hard pressed to accept such a block of cast iron, and I had to resort to machining surfaces true, but to nominal dimensions, and make matching parts to suit.

It soon became apparent, as my skills improved, that there was no way I was going to be able to mount the cylinder block on the lathe in order to machine the cylinder bores (two of them, each 1” bore and stroke) as there just wasn’t enough swing over the bedplate, and I didn’t have a boring bar.

Fortunately, my neighbour was a shop floor manager with a machine company manufacturing high speed looms, and he came to the rescue.
‘What tolerance do you want it bored to, Ted’
-‘Er, it doesn’t really matter, Robbie, as I’ll just turn the pistons to suit’
The silence that ensued spoke volumes as 30 years of machining experience looked down his nose at the unpleasant smell of 30 days bodging.
‘I’ll give it to one of my apprentices then, as a training exercise’

Three days later, the cylinder block returned, with the pointed observation that it had been turned to 1”, with a tolerance of + .0001” – that’s right – a tenth of a thou!  I took him at his word.

After this, machining proceeded briskly, with bedplate, journals, columns fairly flowing off the lathe.
I learnt how to drill and tap; what to do when the tap broke in the hole (Throw away and start again - luckily it was a small part!) and I even learnt how to silver solder and put out the ensuing conflagration.

But all this time, I was aware that the real test of my new found skills was fast looming on the horizon - the crankshaft.

The crankshaft was a single casting, with two cranks at 90 degrees. It would just fit on the lathe, and I was able to machine the three main bearings with no real problems. The fun began with the machining of the offset cranks. Luckily, I had picked up a book in my travels which suggested the solution, and I obtained a 2” length of 2” diameter brass round, into which I drilled an offset hole the diameter of the crank. The hole was drilled offset by the throw of the crank, and two short dowels were set into the end of the round. This enabled me to clamp the end of the crank into the round, secured by two grubscrews, with the dowels securely locating the crank web such that the crank journal (The big-end) was now firmly held on the centreline of the lathe. Bingo! - the big ends could now be turned!

After that little triumph, mere bagatelles such as double eccentrics and Stephenson reversing links held no fears for me, and the engine rapidly came together. It even looked vaguely like the picture on the box! The engine was assembled with the exception of the connecting rods and pistons, when fate dealt a hand, and we decided the time had come to move house.

The new house was 120 years old and looked it - major work was required. The engine was wrapped up and put away for the duration - it was to be seven long years before the project once again surfaced.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:36:35 pm »

Ted....first installment accepted  :-))

I look forward to a lot more exciting reading .....I also like the droll sense of humour  {-) {-) {-) at every second turn....... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

MichaelK

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 09:14:10 am »

That's awesome.
The dolls actually give the boat a scale size.
In the photo, it could be anywhere between 3ft and full size.
Mick

Ted Welding

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 05:58:46 pm »

Time for instalment 2!

This instalment may puzzle you, as I've already said that 'Natterer' is based on 'Bat', but I'm talking about 'Dolly'  All will be explained in instalment 3, but you'll have to wait a few days for that!

Still at design stage at this point, so no pictures of the actual build, but have included a couple of more shots of 'Natterer' on the water, together with a picture of 'Dolly'. I regret I don't know who took the photo of 'Dolly', so cannot attribute.  Apologies!

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 2

‘Why do we need to move? What’s wrong with this house? We can’t afford it! Give me one good reason why we should move! - (Series of dull thuds, reminiscent of heavy objects meeting flesh) - Alright, we’ll move, but please stop!’

We found a house, with an acre of ground (Vehicle storage said Ted, Goats said Ann), and a proper walk-in room in the roof (Bedroom said Ann, Workshop said Ted). The goats duly arrived, but the amount of work required on the house meant the workshop/bedroom remained as a store-room, and no modelling took place for seven long years.

During this time however, we discovered that Mecca for steam boat enthusiasts, namely the Windermere Steamboat Museum. What a feast of delights! Steamboats of all shapes and sizes wherever you looked! The graceful lines of the Victorian launches, the colours of the timbers and above all the sight and sound of operating steam engines took our breath away. We were particularly attracted to “DOLLY”, the oldest working steamboat in the world, which had spent some eighty years on a lake bed after being nipped in the ice.

I approached the museum, and was readily given permission to spend a couple of days measuring her up and taking numerous photographs. They even had a small-scale set of lines available! Once home, I set to with slide-rule and drawing board and converted those lines into a working set of drawings. This was where the problems started! You will remember that in the last episode I admitted I was doing things backside foremost, and had started with the engine! Now said engine was quite big (and heavy) and clearly wasn’t going to like being shoe-horned into a two-foot hull. In fact, when I had finished all the measuring and scaling the hull ended up at about 72 inches ( 1830 mm to the youngsters)

Alright, so it was going to be a big boat! That wasn’t a problem in itself, as I had always wanted a big hull, but the problems arose when I worked out that the model’s calculated displacement to waterline was about 5 lbs less than the all-up weight would be! Calculations also revealed that the metacentric height was going to be in the region of  3/8 of an inch, which when combined with the nearly hemispherical mid-ships section meant she was going to be rather tender and roll like a pig in mud. (or similar – substitute as you see fit)

The solution was to subtly rework the sections to give a greater displacement, with  additional buoyancy being placed in the quarter buttocks, so as to increase the metacentric height, and reduce the roll rate. On paper, it would work, but the weight of the hull and engine plant would be critical, with no room for error. The only other solution would have been to increase the hull length to seven feet, but that was starting to be ridiculous!

On with the motley! – Have you ever tried to produce drawings for a 72” hull on a 40” drawing board? – Difficult. As I started to scale up the museum’s lines drawing, it became apparent that all was not well, and that the drawing was highly suspect. A good excuse for a further trip, and a days’ measuring. Back home, and I was able to translate the new information onto the drawings and fair the lines up properly. Incidentally, if you are ever having to prepare a set of drawings, remember a hull is three-dimensional, and cannot be adequately defined with just a profile and sections on a two dimensional drawing – it is essential to add both futtock and buttock lines to the drawing. The profile, sections and buttocks may appear to give a true form, but attempting to fair in the futtocks will soon highlight any discrepancies.

The final drawings were prepared at work on an eight foot table, where I coerced all the members of my drainage design team into holding down a six foot spline as I inked in the lines!

It was 1988, only eleven years after the start of this tale, and at last! I had a set of working drawings! At last I had a stock of well seasoned lime! At last I had an engine! At last I...........don’t think I like the boat any more, said Ann.

Ted Welding

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 05:11:31 pm »

Getting there!
Episode 3 follows, together with a couple of photos showing boiler and engine - a bit out of sequence in the build, but it ties in to the text.
We'll be into the build proper in episode 4

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 3

You could have heard a feather drop – ‘What do you mean you don’t like it? What’s wrong with it? You’ve fallen in love with a bat?- Oh, you mean the steam launch ‘Bat’’
I suppose I should have realised, as we are both members of Durham Bat Group (Yes, really, the little furry things that fly at night) and once she had seen this little boat with ‘Bat’ on the bows, that was it! It wasn’t really that she didn’t like ‘Dolly’; more a case of preferred ‘Bat’.

Now model steam launches are expensive to build, so the more realistic amongst you will realise that it is very necessary to keep the better half (or third in my case) fully committed to the project. That is to say, what the chancellor wants, the chancellor gets!

Actually, I have to admit I was in two minds about ‘Dolly’ in any case, as even with all the ‘modifications’ I had made to the hull lines the calculated all-up weight of the boat was still very close to the waterline displacement, and you inevitably find the weight increasing during the build. In addition, the unusual lines of ‘Dolly’, and the still relatively small metacentric height meant her stability was likely to be poor.

So I wasn’t really too worried about going back to the drawing board, and we went across again to Windermere (any excuse) to have a close look at ‘Bat’. I’d always liked the look of her, and had even bought the small scale set of lines from the museum some years before.
Close study of these, and a couple of days spent measuring up the hull confirmed that she was likely to be a far better bet in terms of stability, so a start was made on some full-size (model) drawings.

I used the same techniques as for ‘Dolly’ and again ended up with a six foot hull! That was fine, but I started to run into a few problems with regard to the boiler, as whilst ‘Dolly’ had a straightforward Scotch Marine, ‘Bat’ employed a Lune Valley paraffin-fired boiler for fast steam raising. It would have been impossible for me to duplicate this with my rudimentary boiler-making skills, so I had to set to and design a suitable vertical boiler for gas firing. The extra weight of this, and the extra height to allow all the necessary internals to be stuffed in meant that I had to increase the draught by about half an inch, but this had the advantage of giving me extra displacement and a more stable hull.

So far, so good! The small-scale set of lines weren’t too inaccurate this time, and I was soon able to push and pull them around to produce a hull shape that was reasonably in line with the original.  The scale ended up at 1 to 4.5, but everything was going to have to be made by me, so it didn’t really matter.

By now we were in 1996, having started in 1977! Just too many other things to do! I had bought a huge stack of good quality lime timber sometime around the early eighties, but in 1996 I had a stroke of luck when Bryan Young, a very good friend and well-known contributor to the Mayhem Forum offered me some old mahogany flooring in strips about 80 x 20 mm by 2000 long at a nominal cost. The boat really cried out to be built in mahogany, but I will not buy new mahogany on principle, as we are doing so much damage to the rain-forests. I don’t have the same problems with re-cycled materials, provided I know the provenance.

The band-saw and the Unimat lathe, set up as a planer, reduced the majority of the timber to 20 x 3mm strips, albeit rather slowly, but with less wasted wood than having it done commercially. This was an important consideration, as I worked out there was just enough material to do the job.

So far, so good. Then in 1997 I happened to visit Bryan again. (The same friend who had supplied the timber – keep up!) ‘Have you seen the boiler for sale at Allen’s?’ (Model Shop in Whitley Bay) Visit cut short, and a quick dash for the model shop. The boiler was a Scotch Marine Dryback, Inglis modification, and the workmanship was superb. The only trouble was that it was a horizontal boiler, whilst ‘Bat’ should really have a vertical, as noted above. On the other hand, the construction of the boiler was the one part of the build that was really putting me off, and in reality was probably the reason why this project was taking so long.
Allen allowed me to take the boiler home, and an intensive evenings’ measurement and calculation ensued. The boiler’s capacity was found to be adequate, and very careful calculation showed that I could actually get it into the hull. Close inspection confirmed the workmanship as being as good as anything I had ever seen, the silver soldering being incredibly good.
The chancellor disappeared to work on the household budgets, and agreed it was an exceptional purchase at £195, when I had commercial quotes for my designed boiler in excess of £1000, and a quick pricing of the materials and all the fittings that came with it was in excess of £500. (And these were at 1997 prices!)
That did it. I bought the boiler the very next day, just ahead of three other people who were very interested.

By this stage, I’d come to the conclusion that since I had modified the hull lines, changed the boiler and decided that I didn’t want to paint the hull, I could hardly claim she was a model of ‘Bat’!  So we had a think, and better third (aka The Chancellor, and therefore highly involved with this boat) suggested we called her ‘Natterer’, the name of another species of bat.  I rather liked the idea, particularly as it brought to mind the distinctive sound of a steam plant happily ‘nattering’ along.  So ‘Natterer’ it was to be, representing a typical Victorian gentleman’s steam launch of about 1890. The steam launches on Windermere were largely owned and run by the newly wealthy Manchester industrialists, both for pleasure and to demonstrate their success. The boats created a “Golden Age” of steamboating on the lake.

Ted Welding

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 05:31:15 pm »

OK, Ready to go with Part 4, where we actually start to put the thing together.
A few more photos just to show you the set-up on the building board

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 4

The wood for the boat was ready, so a start was made with the keel, stem, stern and deadwood. Quite an assembly in itself, as it all had to be scarfed together, and then the rabbet cut in to take the ends of the planks and the garboard strake (the one next to the keel). This boat was going to be built as full size practice! No particular problems with this bit, just a need to keep everything absolutely square otherwise the boat was going to go round in circles. The prop shaft was also built in at this stage.

Bryan, the same friend who supplied me with the timber also gave me the building board - All seven foot of it! The centreline was scribed on it, and the positions of all the sixteen shadows (the temporary formers over which the shell would be built) marked on. The shadows themselves were cut from the old doors I’d saved when I replaced all the kitchen units two years previously (Never waste anything) These were all cut out on the bandsaw and screwed in place on the building board, before dropping the keel assembly into place on top, the hull being built upside down.

The garboard and gunwhale strakes were then trimmed and fastened in place over the shadows. These are the only constant width strakes in the boat (carvel built), and once they were in place, I could measure up the distance between these two strakes at every shadow position, divide the distance by the number of strakes I wanted to put in, and then mark and taper every strake to suit. Easy done, Eh? - Well actually no, as a boat’s hull has lots of ins and outs, and while the above may hold true for the mid-sections and the bows, it certainly wouldn’t work for the stern, where I had to use stealers next to the keel, and joggle planks together under the counter to make them all fit.

Anyway, the next job was to glue all the strakes in place, and I found that as the boat was so large, and each strake needed so much temporary clamping (fourteen G-clamps and as many screws) I couldn’t use my normal five minute epoxy, and had to resort to long set Araldite. This meant I could only fix one strake per night, and there were  thirty-two of them!

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:13 pm »

Hi Ted,

I'm interested in why you didn't taper the sheerstrake to give yourself more room to fit the planks in without stealers?

Also, what timber did you use for the keel and stem please?

Is that the cartoon map of Windermere I spy on the wall behind too....?

Greg

Bernhard

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 06:25:23 am »

Hi...What a great Boat and steam plant you have don. :-))...bot.......Please  {:-{take all this dolls out...the don't do the boat eny good at-all...what a shame, it is just before i see the dolls more than the launch ...one good captain will be perfect....bot you have don a great job
p.s.... if you wont a captain like this,,,,i have a extra one you can get,,,,,just let me know,,,

Regards Bernhard

Ted Welding

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 03:48:35 pm »

Life is a little less hectic and I've now got a chance to answer some questions properly (That's the trouble with retirement - you never get a day off!)

So Hi Greg -
I left the sheerstrake constant depth as the boat has a 'rubbing strip' (for want of a better description) down the length of the boat at a constant measurement down from the gunwhale - made life easier, and I would still have had to use stealers anyway at the stern.
The timber is all mahogany
Yes, It's the Windermere map!

Bernhard:
The question of whether to put a crew on board is always going to incite argument amongst modellers - 'Natterer' just looks plain 'wrong' sailing without some sort of a crew, so no apologies for that. she actually looks 'right' on the water with the crew - must be something to do with scale effect. 'Natterer' is also 6 feet or 1800mm long, and the scale works out at 1 to 4.5 . This would mean the scale height for a Victorian male would be in the region of 15.5" or 390mm - there's not a lot of figures around at that scale.
Having said that, I like your captain - what size is he?

Going even further back-
Derek -

1. remote water gauge...a second water gauge? - Yes, there are two gauges - one is visible when sailing, but the other is internal and has the electronic water sensing thingummy wrapped around it, connected to the Automatic Boiler Control.
2. remote elctronic water sensing? - As question 1
3. a boiler water make up pump under the wooden box? - No, the boiler pump is on the far side of the engine. The box hides three servos and a 15-pin plug which allows me to lift the whole steam plant out in one go (with much huffing and puffing) All is explained in more detail further into the build.
4. two gauges? - Ah well, I had two gauges, and she looks rather better with two on display! They both measure the boiler pressure.

Hope the above answers your questions - keep watching the posts!

Ted

thelegos

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 04:37:49 pm »

Hello Ted,
I've been avidly following pattermaker (Mike's) Wide-A-Wake build and just worked my way through 'Natterer' - an odyssey indeed.
Thank you for the time and trouble you've taken to share your work, it's not only entertaining and informative but a pleasure to see such skills . Bryan did the right thing in persuading you to put fingers to keyboard  O0
Roger

Ted Welding

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 04:58:43 pm »

Many thanks, Roger,
It's nice to know your efforts are appreciated!

Ted

Bernhard

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 06:28:12 pm »

hi...ok...that is a big boat......... the captain is  around 8inch,,,,,,,, here he sit in my 51 inch launch..........sorry bot i still think he will look better   :-)

Regards Bernhard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ooyah/2

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 10:13:23 pm »

Hi Ted,

What a great build, not only a great modeler but also a great story teller.
As a new member to the forum don't be put of by one members comments on your crew, I personally and no doubt many others prefer the Victorian figures rather than a Salty Old Sea captain who in my opinion would be completely out of place.
Your figures capture the Victorian period well, mind you I don't think the Victorian owner would let a lady sail his launch, or is it just that the helms man needs a hair cut.

Keep up the story, well done.
George.

Ted Welding

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 10:07:35 am »

Thanks for your kind comments, George!
My Victorian gentleman is actually steering Natterer, by means of a wheel on the back of the midships deck section! - I quite agree he would be most unlikely to let his wife get anywhere near the machinery, and she would probably be horrified at the mere suggestion (and that's not a sexist remark!)
Actually, George the captain should maybe be called Georgina, as we couldn't find a male face of the required size, and so had to use a female, generously endowed with whiskers - but then how do you account for the two children up forrard?
The figures will be covered in more detail in a later section.

Ted

ooyah/2

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 11:49:38 am »

Hi Ted,
Weans are Weans, whether big or small, you have still captured the Victorian aura on the launch and the period.
I can picture it on the Thames on a nice warm day or even up in the posh end of Windermere where the wealthy Manchester and Liverpool merchants made there money on the backs of the working class and could afford such luxuries.
Look forward to your further postings well done with the boat and engine, any idea who made the boiler, not often that you see an INGLIS type.
George.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 06:12:41 pm »

Reminiscent perhaps....

The launch is SL Wraith, a Thornycroft launch built on the Thames and brought upto Windermere by Alfred Sladen before he designed Otto and Elfin.

Greg

Ted Welding

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »

Hi Bernard,
Many thanks for posting the photos of your launch and crusty old salt. She looks like a working boat, in which case he is very appropriate. However, Natterer is a rich Victorian gentleman's pleasure launch, and as such would look wrong with him on board.
Regretfully, he is also too small for Natterer.
So thanks, but I'll stick with the existing Victorian family

Greg,
Thanks for the posting of SL Wraith - very appropriate. I presume she was side fired with a compound?

George
Yes, the boiler is unusual, and regretfully the model shop couldn't tell me who made her, only that she was made in a boilermakers shop, so I presume the maker built her as a miniature project and knew what he was doing!

Regards

Ted

Ted

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 08:18:15 pm »

Hi Ted,

Yes, side fired, but I would have said a twin high as Thornycroft prefered HP engines for his fast launches, however I can't be sure. She was known as 'Greyhound of the lake' and was good for 14mph. That funnel gives away some of the power that lies beneath...! Also, the splashboards were added after her move upto Windermere to fend off head on waves at full speed 'won't do for the ladies to get wet eh wot wot!'

Greg
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.