Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cyano vs epoxy  (Read 3047 times)

g4yvm

Cyano vs epoxy
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:29:43 pm »

Right, now I have much experience of using both these glues, but not in the field of submersibles.  I am gluing the deck planks to my fibreglass darnell deck: am I wise to continue with cyano or is there some terrible punishment waiting for me later on that means I ought to use epoxy?  It SEEMS to be adhering very well to the bare fibre glass skin, but...

D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Cyano vs epoxy
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:45:07 pm »

Water can effect some of the cheaper superglues.
Do a test. glue a bit of wood to a scrap piece of fibreglass and leave in a jar of water once dry
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

g4yvm

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:50:14 pm »

Ok.  Its not cheap, its the Zap medium

Good test: I'll do it!

In fact the whole lot will be varnished prior to submerging because I dont want the wood to get water logged and swell.  I intend to paint the lot with thinned varnish prior to painitng the timber in kriegsmarine wood treatment as issued by UBootwerkenSalisbury, No 2 dock..  (AKA black paint!)

D

Davy1

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »

I'm probably a bit "belt and braces" but I tend to steer clear of both cyano and anything quicker setting than 24h epoxy. If it is critical bond to fibreglass I would prefer to bond it with polyester resin i.e fibreglass it in. And I don't like wood at all for construction unless it is essential. Sorry just my views  but submarines are a bit unforgiving :-)

andyn

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 05:44:13 pm »

I used modelbond superglue on mine, no problems. I presume you're painting it with halfords paint too, which effectively plastic coats it, so I wouldn't worry too much :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:51:57 pm »

Ok.  Its not cheap, its the Zap medium

I wouldn't class ZAP as "cheap"!!!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

CF-FZG

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:12:34 pm »

On the recommendation of many fish keepers, I used to use Loctite Superglue Gel to glue coral fragments to rock in my Marine aquarium.  On one occasion, I realised I'd glued it in the wrong place and broke it trying to remove it - after 3-5 minutes.

Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:27:55 pm »

You could try giving the wood a couple of coats of epoxy resin before painting.

It tends to be thinner than polyester resin, and thus penetrates the timber better. If you're thorough with your preparation it shouldn't be a problem, although water pressure will ensure any areas missed will soon make themselves apparent.

However if you're going to paint it black, why not use plastic strip in the first instance?

g4yvm

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:02:47 pm »

Thanks guys.  I could have used plastic strip but it never occurred to me: im a trad modeller and wood jumped out.  Also at 1/8 inch it is scale for the deck timbers, or pretty much anyway.  Further, the thickness is the same as my waterjet cut grilles, so the whol deck builds up smooth.  Further yet, I can weather the timbers to make them look like, well, timbers!

D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.