Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMCC Sentinel  (Read 39549 times)

Chris67

HMCC Sentinel
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:08:29 pm »

Hello !

I am going to start the building of the "Sentinel" from Model Slipway and I have a question about the stabilisers. In the instruction booklet, there is nothing that explain how stabilisers are set from the hull to the brass plate top bearing. The both tubes and bearing tubes for the stabilisers are not provided in the fittings bag. I think they were designed to be fixed at the begining because there are 2 emergences on the stabilisers.
For those who built this model, are there some pictures about the setting fo these stabilisers. I saw this photo on the forum and I would like to get more details.

Thank you for yours answers
Chris.

fatcat123

Re: HMCC Sentinel
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:18:52 pm »

Not an expert by any means but im sure i have seen this exact same question on rc groups.com

Some chap got them to work with the rudder which made an excellent model indeed. Hope this helps.

Dan

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:21 am »

Not an expert by any means but im sure i have seen this exact same question on rc groups.com

Some chap got them to work with the rudder which made an excellent model indeed. Hope this helps.

Dan
I hope not its one of mine.

See if these help. Remember to keep top of shafts of stabilizers as far above water level as possible.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Chris67

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:00:36 pm »

Hello !

I think you did not understand my question ... No problem for me about the mechanism with rudders and trims  That only concern the installation of the stabilisers
as below:

The part showed in black goes into the hull but the one in red must be cut otherwise the stabiliser should not be free ... Right or not ?????

If someone can explain how to instal what I show in white on the picture : the installation of tube and bearing tube to the stabiliser : glue or welding ??

Thank you

Chris

Spook

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 02:14:35 pm »

I built the Sentinel and did not connect up the stabilisers - just fixed them to the hull. She still turns on a sixpence without them working. Unless you desperately want to have them working, I wouldn't bother.

I heard a story from one boater who saw a model Sentinel with stabilisers turn too sharply and tip over, as they actually de-stabilised the ship.

Chris67

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:19:12 pm »

Hello Spook !

I think I will follow your advice .... I am going to fix them to the hull.

Bye !

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:30:22 pm »

I built the Sentinel and did not connect up the stabilisers - just fixed them to the hull. She still turns on a sixpence without them working. Unless you desperately want to have them working, I wouldn't bother.

I heard a story from one boater who saw a model Sentinel with stabilisers turn too sharply and tip over, as they actually de-stabilised the ship.

Rubbish!! I run mine using an ACTion P94 which will allow the boat to turn in its own length and it has come nowhere near tipping over.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:56:58 pm »

Rubbish!! I run mine using an ACTion P94 which will allow the boat to turn in its own length and it has come nowhere near tipping over.

I agree, Richard. The stabilisers on my Sentinel also work and it's never even come close to tipping over, no matter how hard I turn. If a Sentinel did capsize it would most likely be due to the fact that the superstructure was built too heavy, or the batteries were not right at the bottom of the hull. The other possibility is that the stabilisers were connected wrongly, they should turn in the opposite direction to the rudders, forcing the hull upwards in a turn.

Peter.

Spook

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:11:36 am »

Rubbish? No, Like I said, mine turns on a sixpence with no stabilisers - you just don't need them on the model, unless you're a perfectionist.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 06:38:02 am »

Spook, I'm no perfectionist but I decided to make the stabilisers work on my Sentinel simply because I could :-) I don't doubt that the boat performs well without them; the "rubbish" refers to the story that working stabilisers caused a model to capsize. As I said in my previous post, incorrect set up could be a problem.

Peter.

Chris67

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:50:31 am »

Hello !

I saw I made a discussion concerning stabilisers working or not working !!!

But thanks to a member of the forum riggers24, I found a response to my question how to set the stabilisers system to connect them to the rudders later.

The manufacturers display model has the rudders connected to the stabilizers using the kit white metal rudder arms. (The kit now includes a diagram showing this option). Not knowing of this, I did my own thing. The two pins on the stabilizers were removed and drilled at the largest pin position to accept 4mm diameter brass rod. For accuracy I used a bench drill on a slow speed; too fast and the metal would have melted. I made two tubes similar to the prop tubes but only 15mm long with a 4mm clearance hole, and glassed them into position. The stabilizer shafts were pushed through the tubes and two commercial plastic rudder arms clamped on the inside. I discarded the kit white metal rudder arms and made new triangular ones with brass plate soft soldered to brass collets.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »

Hello !

I saw I made a discussion concerning stabilisers working or not working !!!

But thanks to a member of the forum riggers24, I found a response to my question how to set the stabilisers system to connect them to the rudders later.

The manufacturers display model has the rudders connected to the stabilizers using the kit white metal rudder arms. (The kit now includes a diagram showing this option). Not knowing of this, I did my own thing. The two pins on the stabilizers were removed and drilled at the largest pin position to accept 4mm diameter brass rod. For accuracy I used a bench drill on a slow speed; too fast and the metal would have melted. I made two tubes similar to the prop tubes but only 15mm long with a 4mm clearance hole, and glassed them into position. The stabilizer shafts were pushed through the tubes and two commercial plastic rudder arms clamped on the inside. I discarded the kit white metal rudder arms and made new triangular ones with brass plate soft soldered to brass collets.

Thats more or less how Peter and I did ours.  :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:37:29 pm »

Thats more or less how Peter and I did ours.  :-))

O0

Peter.

Chris67

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 09:41:46 pm »

Hello !

Here we go for the building !! ok2

The hull on its templates for stand ...

The progress of the building will be on my blog : http://batiment-modelisme-naval67.over-blog.com/pages/Realisation_du_patrouilleur_HMCC_Sentinel-5764913.html

Spook

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:33:54 pm »

Looking good already.   :-))

Make sure you have some sort of protection between the wood of the stand and the hull, to prevent damage. I can't see clearly in the pic whether or not there is any there. I use either strips cut from a mouse mat, stuck on with the rubber side up, or self-adhesive draught excluder strip, with the ends stuck down with tape.

Chris67

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 11:29:32 am »

Hello !

Friends of mine on a french forum are not agree about position of the stabs on the hull. They should be in horizontal position.
What is the real fonction of those stabs  ..... To stabilize the boat or to turn shortly ?
In that case, can we name them "stabilisers" ?
I would like to get some pictures of real "Sentinel" on a graving dock.

Thank's 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 12:21:14 pm »

Send a PM to Dave [ACTion] he used to work for HMCC and designed the kit for Model Slipway.

ACTion

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 01:52:27 pm »

I have many of Vosper's own photos showing all aspects of "Nellie" (including the stabilisers) but I'm afraid we are not allowed to publish them here or anywhere else due to copyright. Hiowever if you send me a PM I may be able to help  ok2
BTW my original plank-on-frame Sentinel does not have working stabs and yet it turns without any noticeable leaning over. It also has 6mm less draft than the kit version.
Dave M

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 07:30:32 pm »

hi

If this model of the Sentinel is built the same way as Dicky D's was built, I can vouch that it is an extremely stable model - I had the privilige of actually launching Richard's model for its very first Baptism in the lake  :-))  I had heard that these models were slightly top heavy and therefore unstable so I did what I class as a 'safety roll check' before I released it for Dicky to sail.   I turned the model on its side so that the side was under water and released it to see if it would right itself.   I tipped it well passed the half way mark and it still righted itself - the reason for this is that the lake Dicky sails on - you can lose a model in the middle and would have to hire the Russian Mehr submersible to retrieve it  :-)) we didnt want him to lose his model through a gust of wind - mind you I had to duck out of the road when Dicky shouted....  <*< <*< thank goodness it sailed fine!!!!

Little bit watta on the inside though, where I tipped it too much.   Happy Days Dicky - hope we can get back down there and have a good day at the pond  :-)) :-))

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
    • La mini-flotte de Lamiral67
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »

Hello !

A picture of my work

The progress of the building will be on my blog : http://batiment-modelisme-naval67.over-blog.com/pages/Realisation_du_patrouilleur_HMCC_Sentinel-5764913.html

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »

Hello !

Setting of main deck and foredeck bulwark sides

[/quote]

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 09:03:02 pm »

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 06:09:52 pm »

Hello !

I replaced the propellers which was in the kit box by 30mm M4 Threaded 5 Blade L/H Brass C-Type Propeller

Before

After

Chris67

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »

Why, and why L/H only ?  

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 10:47:00 pm »

No, I fit the model with L/H and R/H Brass C-Type propeller ... By writting the type of the propeller, I forgot to add R/H.
Do forgive me !
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.