Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: OTW Vanguard help  (Read 109225 times)

Patrick Henry

Re: OTW Vanguard help
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2012, 12:29:05 pm »

Excellent, well done Mark!

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2012, 03:24:13 pm »

Good stuff. I see you have also moved the position of the motor nearer towards the aft endcap.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #227 on: January 31, 2012, 12:57:42 pm »

Yes andy was having a few problems with vibration but got it sorted by looking at my Akula mount
Seems to have cut the vibes to nil now

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »

It looks a lot more sturdy than the original set-up. I expect the length of shaft between the bearing and a bit of misalignment in the coupling caused the vibration.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:31 pm »

Let the fun begin my Vanguard has just docked the build will be started shortly WTC is A.O.K fully leak resistant

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2012, 05:16:12 pm »

That's interesting- looks like they're supplying the sail in polyester/glass now instead of a three part polyurethane part.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:43 pm »

Well spoted Andy spoke to Bob and the glass (new) version is much stronger all I have to do now is get gutsy and start drilling and filing all the flood and drain holes

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:16 pm »

Bob has gone full circle, the first kits had a GRP sail, but it was a bit too tall for some reason. Dave Merriman made a new master for the sail with the correct dimensions, and it's that which is now included with the kit. Hydroplanes and propulsor are all newer versions too.

The GRP part should be thinner, so that will free up some ballast tank volume. Are you going to make some scopes yourself for the boat?

thegrimreaper

« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »

yes I will have to I only bought the hull the dive planes never even thought about linkages and all the little fiddly bits that hold everything together will be doing some sourcing from frodsham models on monday. If I get stuck I could always have a bit of a go at the Sheerline Trafalga I have aquiered which is a bute of a sub

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:55 pm »

You can purchase wheel collets of various diameters, which make a good starting point for making the control arms for your linkages. Yokes can be fashioned from brass rod, and then soft or silver soldered to the collets.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »

Dave Merriman sent some images through of the work he did on the Vanguard kit, including the reworked sail, propulsor and appendages. Some of the pictures also show his set-up for the rear linkages, which should provide hints on how to do yours

thegrimreaper

« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2012, 07:54:40 pm »

Fantastic Andy thanks for posting the pictures I am sure I will be refering to them through out my build. Got to work out yet weather the pump drive fits into the hull or if it fits to the out side after cutting the hall and flating the stern.

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: February 09, 2012, 08:11:57 pm »

It should butt up against the hull, fitting that and getting the all the planes aligned nicely is probably the trickiest part.

Notice that Dave fitted some temporary metal straps to hold the shroud whilst it was fixed in. You can tack it on with some superglue then glass it in proper with some Isopon P40

thegrimreaper

« Reply #238 on: February 09, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »

Had time to look at the pics you uploaded Andy their is loads of info in them if you look closely. I dont know wether I will cut all the drain holes in the bottom like Dave has but will certanley be using a lot of his ideas, including the swimmimg pool test tank  O0 thanks again Andy for the pictures you uploaded

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2012, 07:37:11 am »

The Jecobin drawings show a couple of dozen flooding slots, and they're rather small. The hull could be a bit slow to drain with just those I think, especially when hooking it out of the water.

A modeller in Germany is building a Vanguard, and he has drilled out the scribed holes spaced every few inches either side of the centreline on the underside of the boat. Not sure if these represent kingston valves on the fullsize boat.

You can follow this thread here- http://www.rcboot.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3495&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

He's using a 1 litre Engel tank with a 110mm diameter cylinder. I've got my doubts he'll get a scale waterline with that size tank and cylinder, but we'll see.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2012, 01:40:37 pm »

Will only be using the plans supplied by OTW for the vanguard so will follow them. Fortunately for me the Trafalgar I have acquired came with a set of Jecobin plans which show a great deal of detail. Will be finishing the vanguard first then onto making a WTC for the Trafalgar
The link you supplied to the German site looks good will be following that build cheers Andy

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: February 10, 2012, 02:28:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure the plans OTW supply are the Jecobin ones.

Won't the wtc from the Vanguard fit the Trafalgar?

thegrimreaper

« Reply #242 on: February 10, 2012, 02:40:34 pm »

ok2 ok2 already checked that one out Andy and yes it do`s was also thinking that the Akula WTC will fit the trafalgar their are a few options open to me but I think I will build a seperate WTC for the Trafalgar funny about the plans the Trafalga plans are marked Jecobin but the OTW ones arn`t. And anyway the Trafalgar came with a Tube and end caps tube is 90cm by to long  O0 the end caps (resin cast) don`t seem to fit tight enough so I think I will be using that unless someone thinks its a bad idea.

Regards Mark 

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06:21 pm »

I don't think the Akula tank will have enough volume to get a scale waterline on the Trafalgar, and the drive may not be well matched either. The propulsors are about the same size on the Vanguard and Trafalgar because of the latter's larger scale. However the pitch and blade area is quite a bit higher on the Trafalgars propulsor, so it'll load the motor more but I think you'll be okay with the MFA geared 500 motor. Personally with a Trafalgar, I would be tempted to ditch the propulsor, as the first of the fleet wasn't fitted with one until later in her career. A more conventional prop works a lot better, with no fixed shroud to muck up the turning radius, and less blades.

I'm not sure what the tank size is in the Trafalgar, you could have a word with Alistair, he has a Sheerline Trafalgar, unless he's sold it on.

The earlier Trafalgar hulls were heavily laid up hull, Chris Cloke modified later hulls and thinned out the upper half to help improve the boats stability.  You can tell which one you have by looking at the underside of the top half, if it has strengthening ribs moulded in, you have the later hull. The ribs are there to help prevent the thinner laminate distorting.

Ramesh has one of the earlier hulls, with a lot of enhancements (new shroud, sail and hydroplanes) that were incorporated by U.S based modeller Steve Reichmuth. As such, I think it probably holds the record for most widely travelled model Trafalgar class, having gone from the UK to the U.S, then to France and back to the UK again! It has a scratchbuilt WTC that is fitted out with a pair of proportionally controlled Engel tanks. Works really well, although Ramesh felt performance was a little ponderous for his tastes.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #244 on: February 10, 2012, 05:50:42 pm »

So the Akula WTC is out then well thats not a problem as I said in my post earlier I dont mind building another WTC for the Trafalgar am made up with the Trafalgar though it is the latest incarnation of Mr Cloaks sub just going to pester you later on Andy when it come to the traf`s WTC  i.e. size for a scale waterline and all that  ok2 not sure whether to use the 90MM tube that came with it or buy a piece of 100mm tube. I have seen Ramesh`s build log of his Trafalgar looks realy nice.

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2012, 06:41:51 pm »

I won't be able to give you the same specific pointers as I did with the Vanguard I'm afraid- I don't have that hull.

Being a much larger scale, it is roomier than the Vanguard so that affords you greater choice when deciding the diameter of tubing.

Ramesh should be able to give you some good advice, and of course Mr Sheerline himself is on this forum, both have extensive knowledge about this boat, and what is needed to make it work well.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2012, 02:57:09 pm »

Two pictures of my Vanguard lower hull with drain/flood holes drilled out

more pictures to follow as the build progresses

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2012, 03:48:40 pm »

Don't know if it's important to you or not, but the rectangular slots aren't like that on the original. There should be a gap between the slots like in this shot of the bow slots. Depends how fussy you are.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2012, 04:33:09 pm »

I think that they are in the correct place at the front two on each side when painted the slots will have a red border to them

Regards Mark

thegrimreaper

« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:07 pm »

last picture uploaded wrong hopfully the next few will be ok. have now cut the front and rear of the upper hull and atached the rear upper to the lower hull ready to offer the pump drive unit to the hull.

Andy I couldn`t for the life of me see what you meant then it hit me their is a seperator type bar between each inlet slot which is painted red I see what you meant now, I am fitting mesh into the rear of the slots and the filood holes on the bottom so will replicate the seperator with plasicard when the mesh is in place thanks for spoting that mate
Regards Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.