Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Yacht SB 3 - mast circular base plate  (Read 9039 times)

hendrixjam

Star Yacht SB 3 - mast circular base plate
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:06:28 pm »

Hello

Hoping someone can help. I have recently acquired an old pond yacht. I believe it is an English Star (Birkenhead) SB 3. I need to find a replacement brass base plate for the mast (the fixing that the mast sits in). There is a brass plate there but it appears that the cylinder bit into which the end of the mast slots has fallen off. Also the "tiller" for the rudder appears to be snapped off. Can anyone suggest where I might find replacement parts?

Many thanks.

sunworksco

Re: Star Yacht SB 3 - mast circular base plate
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:25:36 pm »

This fellow has some of the best vintage reproductions and can help you restore your fittings.
http://www.modelyachtfittings.com/

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:35:44 am »

If you could show us a picture it would help. I am sure that there are Forum members that can make you the part or suggest how to repair it. The forum is very good in that respect. Mick B.
Mick B.

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:00:43 am »

Hello

Hoping someone can help. I have recently acquired an old pond yacht. I believe it is an English Star (Birkenhead) SB 3. I need to find a replacement brass base plate for the mast (the fixing that the mast sits in). There is a brass plate there but it appears that the cylinder bit into which the end of the mast slots has fallen off. Also the "tiller" for the rudder appears to be snapped off. Can anyone suggest where I might find replacement parts?

Many thanks.

Hi - I acquired a "BR 3" Planet pond yacht sometime ago with the brass cylinder missing although, as with yours, the brass plate was still intact. The "BR 3" (Burmuda rig) is the same size as your "SB 3" (Super Burmuda rig) & yours should be called "Arctic Star"...

The original fittings that the Star Yacht factory used were actually brass curtain pole ends that were available commercially at the time, sadly they're no longer made.

My solution was to use a small section of brass K & S tube with the end plugged by a small disc of 1/8 brass into which I tapped a thread - allowing it to be bolted to the original brass plate.  The brass K & S wants to have a little larger i/d than the o/d of the mast base - it doesn't have to me a tight fit (the originals weren't) as it's the mast stays that keep the mast in place.

I'm a big fan of Star Yachts & have recently made up a small batch of reproduction Star Yacht display stands if you're interested?  They're based upon the originals - only better  :-)

Anyway - I've attached a quick photo to show what the mast base should look like, you'll notice the original has a knurled section whereas the replacement doesn't.

Hope this helps

Mark

Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

hendrixjam

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:03:58 am »

Thanks for help so far. Much appreciated. I attach some photos. The broken mast base plate can be seen in the second photo.

Regards

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:42:48 pm »

It would help if you could state your location - someone near you might well be able to help by silver soldering a bit of tube on to your mast step.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:27:48 am »

Thanks for the pictures, now another question ?, what diameter is the mast & how big is the plate ?. ( both length & width, & height of sleeve, as suggested you could solder it but silver solder would be best. If all else fails send me the measurements & I will make you one. ( no cost ) Mick B.
Mick B.

hendrixjam

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:21:51 pm »

Thanks so much, everyone, for the helpful replies and, irishcarguy, your kind offer to help.

I'll get hold of some brass tubing and then hopefully find someone around here (Hampshire, UK) to help me silver solder it onto the base plate, as suggested.

The Star Yacht display stands look great, Vintage, and thanks for the photos which are really helpful.

Regards to all.

Topmarks

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:04:56 am »

hi hendrixjam,

I'm new to the forum, but I also have a Star yacht 'Western Star' that has a broken rudder above the deck -  It needs a new brass rudder post made like yours.

Did you find someone to make one?

If anyone out there does have a contact that can do this please let me know.

Regards, Mark

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 10:40:51 am »

You have revived an OLD thread and this member is no longer registered as a member

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.