Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning epoxy catalyst (from syringe)  (Read 7739 times)

miklav

Cleaning epoxy catalyst (from syringe)
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:15:28 pm »

Hello everybody - could you advise me on a best possible solvent for cleaning a syringe from epoxy catalyst?

The other syringe that I use for epoxy resin is easily cleaned with acetone and works just fine after several uses.

The one used for catalyst remains sticky and basically I can't now use it any longer after several times. I tried acetone, and cellulose thinner, tried ethanol; and isopropanol.  l Ethyl alcohol seemed to work better than acetone perhaps I just started using it too late.

Although they aren't expensive I don't want to throw away a syringe after every 3-4 uses...

What's your experience?

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cleaning epoxy catalyst (from syringe)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:45:23 pm »

Why not contact your supplier? They would understand your problem and be able to advise you.Sometimes the cost of the cleaning materials and time involved mean its not worthwhile cleaning but cheaper to throw away.John.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:38:59 pm »

But it's good to try John - Billions of Little Green Acts are what the world really needs.

Dave

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:07:23 pm »

True Dave.Its a bit like the disposible nappies question. Wash or chuck? Whitch is best?.John. 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:29 pm »

.Its a bit like the disposible nappies question. Wash or chuck? Whitch is best?.

Think laterally and choose the third way - cork....

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:11:15 pm »

Mostly we washed nappies - two kids - and first kid had a clicky hip so double nappies. Disposables were always used when we went out somewhere though.

Example - Father in law had  very large greenhouse and about forty years ago he halfed it in size to make room for a pigoen loft, twenty years ago he wanted another loft so it moved to my garden. This year I needed a new shed on the site so I took it to pieces and threw the rotted parts away. Now it is re erected at 25% original size and housing a vine. All for the cost of a few screws and no trees died and no glass had to be made and no deisel used for transport.

It's too darn easy to make 'buy new' the preffered option.

I am not a zealot but  yes - clean the syringes if it is practical  :-))

Dave

miklav

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:15:35 pm »

Not sure what you imagined when I asked about cleaning syringes :)

First, I am talking about large ones (50ml) which cost couple of quid each. Not a huge amount, but I wouldn't call it "disposable" like a napkin...

By cleaning I mean pulling a few ml of solvent inside syringe and putting it out - doing that 2-3 times i.e. spending a few seconds. Works fine with resin and acetone. Doesn't work well with catalyst.

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:05:59 pm »

Hello everybody - could you advise me on a best possible solvent for cleaning a syringe from epoxy catalyst?

The other syringe that I use for epoxy resin is easily cleaned with acetone and works just fine after several uses.

The one used for catalyst remains sticky and basically I can't now use it any longer after several times. I tried acetone, and cellulose thinner, tried ethanol; and isopropanol.  l Ethyl alcohol seemed to work better than acetone perhaps I just started using it too late.

Although they aren't expensive I don't want to throw away a syringe after every 3-4 uses...

What's your experience?

Am I right to assume that you are using syringes to dispense the two part epoxy into its mixing container prior to mixing (at the correct quantities/ratios)?

If I am wrong, ignore the rest of this post.

If my assumption is correct, here is an alternative which I use for the 5 to 1 mix needed for the West System epoxy:

I bought a cheap set of micro weighing scales that weigh in increments of 1 hundredth of a gram. Cost less than £10 delivered.

All I do is place my mixing container on the scales, set them to zero, and pour the main mix in. Note the weight. Reset the scales to zero. Add the catalyst (in this case the main weight divided by 5) and pour that carefully in until I am one drop of catalyst away from the necessary weight.

The big advantages of this method of dispensing are:

1 It is very accurate, critical for small mixes to ensure the correct ratio.
2 It is not messy as there are no syringes to clean up afterwards.
3 It is surprisingly quick to do after a few mixes.
4 It saves cost in terms of buying syringes (or other dispensers that rely upon volume measurements) which are not needed this way.

Food for thought perhaps?

Cheers
Craig
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 04:01:12 pm »

I bought a cheap set of micro weighing scales that weigh in increments of 1 hundredth of a gram. Cost less than £10 delivered.

What exactly do you mean by this? are they digital? and if so where have you found them so cheap {:-{ I would love to know as this sounds like an excellent and easy method to use  :-))

Thank you

Tim

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:05:10 pm »

Hi Tim

Yes they are digital. I got mine new from an ebay shop and having just checked the price they were £6.99 delivered.

Mine weigh up to 200 grams at 0.01g increments. And they take two AAA batteries so easy to replace if needed. They are only 11cm by 7cm so ideal for small mixes (I use disposable plastic cups for epoxy resin).
This link should show the seller and item I bought. The black plastic top lifts off to reveal a metal weighing plate:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200g-x-0-01g-mini-portable-electronic-Digital-Pocket-Gold-Weighing-Scales-Scale-/170764067020?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item27c254e0cc

If you opt for a set have a good look around as some seem to get poor reviews. I'd have been happy with 0.1g increments but definitely not 1g increments because with small mixes it doe not give enough accuracy.

Cheers
Craig
Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 09:00:17 pm »

For users of West Systems epoxies, they sell metering pumps in a set.  The big one delivers 5 times the volume of the little one, so they are just right for the 5:1 ratio required.  A bit pricey to buy, but once you got 'em, no more cups, scales, syringes and other mess.  For small jobs I use 1/2 squirt each.  Works great.

'nuther thought:  If you insist on syringes, what's the cost of throwing out a syringe and buying a new one vs. the cost of the acetone to clean one several times?  Total Cost of Ownership type of thinking.

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 02:55:33 am »

Thanks for that

Might have to look into it now  :}

Tim

wizard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:10 am »

have you tried methylated spirits
we never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

MickK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 11:17:54 am »

Hi
I use the West System epoxy, the manufactures recommended way to clean the syringes (or pumps) is to use acetone (nail polish remover) for the epoxy, and soap and water for the hardener.(catalyst)
Works for me! :-))
Mick

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:09:16 pm »

I have yet to clean my West System metering pumps.  I just leave them screwed onto their respective cans (resin or hardener).  Been doing that several years, no problems yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.