Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Mayhem at Wicksteed 2012: June 02, 2012 - June 03, 2012
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem at Wicksteed 2012 - June 2 & 3 !!!  (Read 265047 times)

Welsh Wizard

Re: Mayhem 2012
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2011, 11:29:41 pm »

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH please don't tell EVERYONE lol

BUT just had a rather good BRAINSTORM tonight heavens above I hear you all say,must be all this Welsh Air  what we really need to segregate the pond is staring us all in our eyes SWIMMING POOL LANE MARKERS.

So the ans to this is anyone know where they could be had CHEAPLY ANYONE GOT ANY CONTACTS I know there is some on Ebay for sale in Hartlepool but it's a bit to far for me to collect

Dave

chingdevil

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2011, 11:35:22 pm »

Wicksteed Weekend 2012 Update

I will try and do this as we progress towards the event, but work might get in my way, if so I will volunteer shipmate60 to do it.

I have contacted Wicksteed MBC regarding running IC and fast electric boats, when I get an answer back from them I will let you all know.

List of volunteers so far

Martin - liase with the Wicksteed MBC and Wicksteed Park
Shipmate60 & myself co-ordinating the event
Steamboatphil, Klunk & Welsh Wizard – in charge of boat rescue and marking out the water
Number6 – Frequency control, if Wicksteed MBC are ok with that
Richtea – Car parking, still need another for this one
TugCowboy – Working out the schedule of events, again might need another to help with this
MMB – Is organising the traders

We still need some
Tea ladies or gentlemen
Publicity
On the day donations of tea coffee and biscuits

What is the thoughts of a bring and buy stall?

Finally I will get some badges made so on the weekend everyone will know who the steering group are.

That’s all for now, “time for bed said Zebedee”

Brian

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2011, 07:44:28 am »

Always around to do things, as always I will sponsor the tea and coffee and bring my "mayhem" tea urn (now as well known as the event) and I've got 5000 cups ready.   :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2011, 08:00:34 am »

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH please don't tell EVERYONE lol

BUT just had a rather good BRAINSTORM tonight heavens above I hear you all say,must be all this Welsh Air  what we really need to segregate the pond is staring us all in our eyes SWIMMING POOL LANE MARKERS.

So the ans to this is anyone know where they could be had CHEAPLY ANYONE GOT ANY CONTACTS I know there is some on Ebay for sale in Hartlepool but it's a bit to far for me to collect

Dave

Did have a look around at lane markers, they're expensive though unless find somewhere getting rid of some. How about these? Used by children and excercise classes etc. Cut them up, hole in middle, thread them on a floating line...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pool-Noodle-Woggle-Swimming-Pool-Float-/120610705621?pt=UK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs&var=&hash=item61ca7682f5

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 09:23:20 am »

HMMMM ! Hate to sound slightly negative but with all this talk about dividing the pond into lanes - remember that sailing boats (yachts) are restricted by  the wind direction and may be tacking across the lake in order to get from one end to the other !!  They just cant conform to longitudinarily  placed "lanes".

Don B.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:37 am »

Like it Dave  :-)) Safe for fragile boats, clear enough to see....

WD - I think the intention is to just hive off maybe 1/3rd to nearly 1/2 of the lake to segregate the slower/more delecate/fragile scale boats from the faster/larger/more wake inducing scale boats.

Lets face it - ALL boats are scale....it is just to which degree %% %% %%

I think there would still be plenty of room to sail a yacht............
Carl

pugwash

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 10:34:09 am »

Like the idea and don't forget one of the cheapest floating lines available is polypropolene - I know it floats because some barmpot of
a lobsterman did his potlines with this and I got one round my prop one night in the North Sea just north of the Tyne.

Geoff

chingdevil

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 10:37:40 am »

Just a thought guys, foam pipe insulation already has a hole in it to thread it on the rope, and I can get hold of some red and white hazard tape to wrap around it. It will be much cheaper.

As carlmt has said it is only to segregate the smaller boats from the larger boats and their wake, we are not talking about lanes for boats that would just not work.

Do you mean this stuff pugwash? 
http://www.ropesandtwines.com/products.asp?cat=1

Brian

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 10:46:12 am »

I think it's a big enough area for part of it to be put aside for smaller fragile vessels. There are usually people that don't sail because they feel their boats are just too vulnerable to being damaged, that's a real shame for anyone that's decided to come along.
The area being looked at is usually pretty much devoid of users anyway. I think the organisers are just trying to make the best use of the area available, whilst giving everyone a chance to sail safely. Dave.  O0

PS. There's loads of different types of line and rope that floats. The rescue type throw lines would be good as they're brightly coloured. I thought the water pipe type foam insulation eventually soaks up the water and would sink? I've got some in the garage, I'll cut it up and leave it in a bucket and see how it does.

chingdevil

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 10:49:35 am »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

wartsilaone

« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 02:34:57 pm »

My ferry isn't exactly small but I consider it quite fragile and if the wind blows like it did this year I shall be down the far end taking shelter behind the catch net again.                                                                                                                                                     Maybe Carl can resurrect the the floating dock idea and I can practice my manoeuvring as well as giving a safe haven. The existing jetty is a bit restrictive and harsh on my boats delicate skin :}

Ali.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »

I'll hopefully be taking my 8ft container ship so a floating dock would be good to practice with. Dave.

wartsilaone

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 03:13:35 pm »

It would give the tugs something to play with too.

Ali.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2011, 03:17:58 pm »

I will see what I can knock up guys.............probably be only a 'basic' set-up by then....................I am hoping to sort something out where these will be available through Linkspan models along with dock / harbour buildings etc.
I will base it on the drawings I did a few months ago......how deep is the lake?
Carl

PS - Dave, what scale is your container ship?
As for tugs - i think we need some of the smaller Deans Marine compact kit versions.........those at 1:48 and above might be a tad to big!!!!

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »

Container ship is being done on 1/96 scale, it's not based on any specific ship and will have interchangeable deck panels so can sail it as a tanker possibly LNG carrier too. Should be good for sailing around and as a plaything for the tugs, but be gentle when towing and pushing it please...  %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2011, 03:56:26 pm »

The lake is this deep:

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2011, 03:59:37 pm »

That'll be Stavros Welsh Wizard taming the depths then...

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2011, 04:39:16 pm »

The floats would have to protect the small boats from going over the tops and tangling up in the ropes.

The sub mariners would have the whole lake to themselves.   %)

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2011, 04:39:39 pm »

It's not thAT deep, he was crouching to take a picture, anyway it only comes unto the water line on my Atlantis yacht!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2011, 04:46:47 pm »

It's not thAT deep, he was crouching to take a picture, anyway it only comes unto the water line on my Atlantis yacht!

No, this is more like it. Not sure if it gets a bit deeper in the middle though.

scoop

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2011, 05:57:21 pm »

No, this is more like it. Not sure if it gets a bit deeper in the middle though.

Wickies model boat lake averages 21 inches deep, or it was when the laser was put across it during the rebuild. However there are undulations in the concrete base which offer small area's that are slightly deeper, but only by an inch or two.
I have a photo album or the lake being renovated which gives a clear indication of it's depth and the work that was carried out, the majority of the rebuild costs courtesy of a Living In Spaces grant from the government  :-)) I know cos I was there  :}

Regards
Scoop

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2011, 06:00:45 pm »

The bring and buy stall sounds ok. Possibly a small amount could go to Mayhem? John.

wartsilaone

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:23 pm »

I could probably contribute to a bring and buy stall.

Ali.

richtea

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2011, 10:00:58 pm »

A certain Welshman found out the hard way

This was his normal stance,

Welcome back to the dark side Welsh Wizard.

Welsh Wizard

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2011, 10:21:48 pm »

richtea YOU are so DEAD lol thanks for the welcome back

As you have now gathered the lake is approx 21/24 inch deep with a RUDDY trough exactly where i was standing lol

Welsh Druid the lake WILL only be segregated form the RIGHT of the straight running course allowing plenty of room to Sail

Pool Noodles are in my opinion NOT a good idea,been there had the tee shirt etc THEY Will not stay in a straight line so to speak.Brian you should know all I got to say is Springer football course you segregated.

A Buoy system of either a Swimming pool lane marker or even Ballcocks strung together will do the job far better and far easier to see....I WILL SORT IT OUT .

As for the Gentelman who offered to make a docking area I APPLAUDE you SIR just bring it along and we Will float it all you need to do is Build it and MAKE sure you have enough weight to Anchor is ...Suggested drop to Anchor weight 3 feet(I can adjust to suit in the Water)

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.