Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WeeNip request for advice  (Read 3329 times)

NottsRog

WeeNip request for advice
« on: November 27, 2011, 09:09:18 pm »

Hi everyone
Firstly thanks for those you responded to my 'glues' question

I bought a WeeNip kit from Traplet at the recent Int Model Boat Show

Having viewed the video and pored over the plans and written instructions I thought I might try a 'trial run' of the first stage using adhesive tape,  just to see how things might go together.

The parts have been cut using the new laser techniques, and the cut appear precise and accurate at first glance

However when i have lined up the transom against the deck panels it appears to me to be too 'short' compared too the width of the deck.

If have managed to 'tape up' the deck transom and sides in a rough sort of way,  but the transom shows definite gaps at the corners of the transom/deck/sides joints

My question, being a newbie to boat modelling is this

Should I cut a new transom from some different ply,  or should I plane/sand  down or the rear edges  of the deck planking so that it matches the transom, which will of course slightly alter the overall profile of the rear.

Generally how do people find constructing ready-cut kits? Is it usual to have to do a lot of fettling and sanding to make parts fit?

Incidentally a warning to anyone else who has this kit.  The laser cutting had left all the cut edges coated in a soot like deposit,  if your not careful both you and the parts are covered in black sooty smudges !

Thanks

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WeeNip request for advice
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:18:44 pm »

It's not unusual to find laser cut decks do not fit hulls.  The manufacturers always say that the hull is the one to move and should be encouraged to mate with the lasered product rather than altering anything to match.

However, this does not really help you if the errors are that large.  Is there any possibility that you can post a picture or two of the offending problem ?

Regarding the black edges. This is due to over burning on production. How to clean them etc, is not known by me. Perhaps others can help

regards

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:37:24 pm »

Is the transom supposed to sit on the deck between the sides or butt up against the deck and sides? Getting it wrong may lead to gaps. If you cannot resolve the problem I would recommend making a new transom rather than sanding the sides.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

rmaddock

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:49:33 pm »

The transom piece is simply wrong. It's a known problem with the pre-cut wood.  >>:-(

I'm sorry to say that we simply packed the gap with offcuts and smeared epoxy everywhere.  :embarrassed:

Timo2

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:25 pm »

Hi NottsRog  and All

Wee Nip all tech detail are at : -     http://sites.google.com/site/theweenip/building-tips

Plus photo of Nipp's  sailing

Timo2   O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.