Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.  (Read 321160 times)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.
« Reply #250 on: February 06, 2012, 07:28:15 am »

That is sure one big pile of work in one day Neil, I find my best working time is at night late, usually after midnight, sometimes until 3pm. Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #251 on: February 06, 2012, 08:28:40 am »

I slept well last night Mick, knowing that task was out the way, lol O0 O0 O0

nhp651

« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:12 pm »

Took the timber overlays to my mate's at the printers this morning.

He photocopied them to A3 size paper, which will now be traced, giving the exact size of deck and planks, etc for screen printing.

The timber overlays can now be glued to the main decks.

nhp651

« Reply #253 on: February 07, 2012, 01:43:08 pm »

this morning I have been preparing the printed  deck overlays for gluing onto the main deck.

This entailed sealing in the printwork of planks etc with cellulose sanding sealer. once dried and rubbed down, I drilled the holed in the due places marked for the petrol filling scuttles and bilge pump outlets which come as white metal fittings.

Drilling undersize with a forstner bit in my pillar drill, ( so as not to chip the edges of the timber ) I then enlarged the holes with 120 grade grit paper, wound into a tube around a piece of dowel rod and sanded the holes to accept the fittings.
Finally I cut the tags for the fittings with a craft knife.

nhp651

« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2012, 01:42:27 pm »

yesterday was deck fitting...yet again, lol

what would I do without old batteries and parcel tape.

deck overlays have now been glued to the main decks.just allow it to all dry for the next few hours. before removing all the weights.

However, even with the weight I had on the decks, AND the parcel tape that I used to hold the deck edges down, when I pulled them all off this morning...I still had a very small piece of deck on each model that hadn't grabbed down and stuck, so great care has to be taken to hold all down to the main decks.
Also on the bow of the Mary Stanford, there had been a small amount of "slip" on ther port deck sheet, and this left a gap between the deck overlay and the king plank, which had to be filled with a thin slither of 1.8mm ply.

However, hopefully this will all look well once all has been sanded and the coats of varnish have been applied.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2012, 06:33:39 pm »

Hi Neil, I am surprised @ the amount of work you get done in one day. The boats are looking great, you really are a master craftsman, & nice guy too.( most times,LOL) Keep up the good work. Mick. PS = You never called me back.//,..//?:"_+-=.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2012, 08:38:16 pm »

Hi Mick, thanks for the comments..............you didn't email me with your phone number...........I can't find the email that had it on last time...........send me that and I'll phone you over the weekend...kids start hols tomorrow so will be otherwise engaged tomozz and will be off to bed in about 20 mins...kerknackered..
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:45 pm »

It's amazing how what looks to be a simple job/task takes so much work and so many attempts are thrown away before you get the pieces to fit just as they should.
I thought theat the bow bulwark boards which will eventually incorporate the bow Gobeye and the two Fairleads as shown in the pics.

They have to follow the sheer of the boat, and also the curve of the bulwarks whilst standing virtical to the deck.
Finally got it right at the second attempt and then tried to "dry" bend one of the boards once cut....it didn't go well.....as I had cut accross the grain, leaving a "short" grain to the timber, and it snapped.......so back to the cutting board and  yet another was made.

I then decided that it would be easier to pin the boards with 0.5mm brass wire and then glue the piece into the deck with cyano.
the fairleads were also glued into the boards to give them strength.

The white metal fairleads are generic fittings taken from my fittings bin....and those which were used on the Anne Letita Russell. However they have been re cut to the design used on the other two larger Watson boats of the period.

So a shortish job became a longer one than I thought it would.

nhp651

« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2012, 11:20:14 am »

Plans can be wrong!!!!

It's always wise when building from scratch to check ALL information before blundering on in your own little world of conceit and self importance.

|I thought that by following the plans for the only one of two of the boats produced that the boat would be built as planned........

I spent time making the bow bulwark boards for the Field marshall and Mrs Smuts yesterday, glued them on and ONLY THEN  did I look at the photos that I have of her............only to my annoyance that I had made them far too long, so I then checked the photos of the other Watson H F Bailey, which were the same on plans.....only to find that the photos showed that they too, were wrong..............so this morning, both boats will have the snip......and they should look something like this.

the moral of the story is.........always check all forms of information before going further.

nhp651

« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2012, 07:52:47 pm »

well, after the cock up last night of the bow bulwark boards, I set too and decided to look at the photos of the models I am building rather than use my imagination...so after much trimming marking and cutting of the pieces of 1.8 ply to conform to the sheer of the boat I was able to cut the six pieces thsat make up the curves of the kick boards lodged between the fairleads down the length of the boat.

the sections for the other two boats will be different and so the whole process will begin again tomorrow.

the kick boards are held in place onto the decks using pins made from 0.5mm brass rod drilled into the kick boards carefully and then will be cyano'd to the decks once other bits have been painted.

nhp651

« Reply #260 on: February 13, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »

Today was the turn of the Field Marshall and Mrs Smuts for the kick boards.

However, unlike the H F Bailey where there are broken runs along the length of the deck with this boat, it is a continuous run virtually from bow to stern.

On the real boats the length would have been sections of plank scarfed together in a longitudinal joint..........but as I am working with 1.8mm ply, I didn't fancy that so one length it is.

It was a little problamatic getting the correct sheer line to the deck cut, but with a little sanding and cutting it was achieved.

On the fm & ms there is a gap at the bow end of the main longitudinal boards, port and sarboard, which on the boat is filled with a short length, recessed and fastened to the inside of the bow bulwark boards and the main kick board. thesae are shown on the first photo.

The planks were then transfered to draughting paper for later screen printing and then pinned in the same manner as the bow bulwark boards..

nhp651

« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2012, 10:49:48 am »

Thirty three years ago this morning, at 02.24 hours, the final survivor, the captain of the cargo vessel....."Revi" was grabbed from certain death by the crew of the RNLB City of Bradford 1V, coxs'n'd by Brian Bevan of the Humber lifeboat.

Four minutes later in hurricaine force gales and 40' waves, the "Revi" turned turtle and sank within seconds.
As the captain was ushered to the survivors cabin of the 54' Arun, he said to the crew who had grabbed him from the aft rails just 5 words........which just sum up the bravery of the RNLI crews around the country..

"THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE"

Please support Ryan on his fund raiser for the lads, just as you did for us on the Loch Ness  sail last year.
Neil.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35151.msg353426#new

nhp651

« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2012, 09:43:11 am »

And finally I have done the kick boards and breakwater for the Mary Stanford...again different from the other two and using the same techniques to construct the kick boards for the H F Bailey and the Field marshall and Mrs Smuts.

From now on there isn't much construction left....more a case of using the fittings that I have made and cast, plus the generic ones ( some of which I have already used on the kickboards) and fine detailing the boats, so before I get round to that, i'll now have a good clean up of my workshop so that I can lay all fittings out ready for painting and arranging............in the immortal words of Cptn Oates.........I might be gone some time/"

nhp651

« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2012, 09:41:10 pm »

Someone asked me by pm on another forum exactly how I pinned the 1.8mm ply with a brass pin so thought I'd put it on here for those with a steady hand.

I first used a tool (really it's a bit like the old bradawl for making holes to start a screw off).that I confiscated from a child one day who was throwing it at a bunch of other kids.............lethal thing but it has come in very handy. the steel tip is ground to a point, and I use this on the end grain to make a dimple into the ply.

once the dimple has been made, the very fine 0.5mm drill bit will not slide around on top, and can be drilled into the end grain of the ply to a depth of around 5mm....

make sure that you drill slowly and keep both the timber and the drill bit ( mounted into a dremmell drill) vertically.

finally cut some lengths of 0.5mm brass rod for the pins, put a little cyano onto a block of scrap timber and dab the ends of the pins into the  cyano before inserting into the predrilled holes.

finally using a guideline for the centre of the kickboard position, mark off the positions of the pins in the kick boards, 3 at a time from one end, and just set the kickboards into those holes, before proceeding onto the next three hols in turn......a slow but sure process, that needs to have a firm hold for the kick boards, as these boards will, although bracketted with white metal brackets of those fitted to the Anne Letitia Russell, will need to be sturdy as they will also carry the brackets for the white metal stanchions and cleets/anchors etc.
they will eventually be painted and set in position with cyano once the hulls have been painted.

1. The first pic shows the tip of the "bradawl" with the indentation just to the right of the tip

2. Next is the drill bit going into the end grain of the 1.8mm timber....a steady hand needed

3. The pins have been set into the timber

4. The pin positions have been marked on the deck and drilled.

5. The kick boards set into position and the kick board brackets added.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2012, 08:50:11 am »

Hi Neil, you certainly did not have a few beers before drilling those holes, the workmanship is first class & I am watching with very keen interest, thank you for the tread it is brilliant. Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2012, 09:07:09 am »

thanks Mick...

.I haven't forgotten to ring you.

it's been half term this week and my elder daughter has been out in an evening for a dance show and practices so the time I would have phoned have been taken up....will do so this weekend, matey...have a chat.........sorreeee.
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2012, 10:32:57 am »

Today I did very little except to "cobble " up the surrounds for the bow gobeye fairlead.
It is the fairlead that ropes would be passed through for such practices as veering down on a casualty and as such is quite a heafty fitting made from bronze in real life.....but here it is a generic fitting with the Anne Letitia Russell, however it will have to be modified before it is finally set into place, and also the whole assembly will be filled and faired in to make a smooth entity in it's own right before passing "muster"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2012, 12:17:59 pm »

gateway 504, Dicky................and there'sanother copy on the way.....

please Mods delete the two extra posts...thanks.
neil.
Glad its not just me, I was getting a 504 complex Neil.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2012, 01:12:57 pm »

I get it every time i try to post Dicky.....normally I just back click, and then press refresh and it clears and posts my stuff......but not today..for some reason it posted multiples again.

ceste la vie.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2012, 02:39:40 pm »

I have cleared them for you.

If it happens again then go to  'Modify'  on the unwanted post and delete the words and pictures and, as you have to have something posted, just put up a smily.

I clear duplicate postings as a way of life nowadays.    %)

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

nhp651

« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2012, 04:51:23 pm »

cheers Ken... I'd ( in my simple self mind).........not thought of doing that.................      derrrhhhhh %% %% %% :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

nhp651

« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:43 am »

Once I have faired in the gobeye fairlead, I will need to paint the thing, and any of the other fairleads with a bronze colouring.
Some years ago, Humbrol did some "authentic" metal colours including "polished Steel", bronze and polished alluminium to name a few, where you painted them on and then scuffed them over with a stiffer brush such as a tooth brush.....does anyone know where I can still buy the bronze paint...or a similar substitute..as I need to achieve the colour as shown in the next few shots.

Thanks in advance.
neil.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »

http://www.humbrol.com/paints/all-paints/aq0171-171-antique-bronze-50ml-metallic-enamel-tinlet-aq0171/

Hi Neil - very hard to match colours on a monitor but that above is a Humbrol antique metallic bronze.

Dave

nhp651

« Reply #273 on: February 19, 2012, 04:50:46 pm »

cheers Dave..that's exactly the stuff I want.........a tin is on it's way.

thanks again.
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #274 on: February 20, 2012, 10:04:41 am »

yesterday, spent cleaning up the edges of the printed decks to the kick boards and readying them for the kickboard brackets..........also  making up the bow fairlead for the Mary Stanford.

Unlike the two Watsons which have a white metal fitting, the M.S. is just made up from two printed pieces of 1.8mm ply with a final addition of a bow roller ( not yet fitted) inbetween the two upright flanges of the fairlead.

Also Ispent time filling the small gaps between the edges of the deck overlays ready for spraying the areas of none slip grey onto the decks and gunwales before also painting the kick boards and finally the decks.

For filling these small gaps I used knifing putty from any car accessory shop, which is cellulose based and covers light scratches and gaps well.

Today's job will be to sand down and fair in with milliput , the white metal fairleads, the Mary Stanford fairlead and the decks,and then adding a few brackets and such for the fenders, grab ropes and rudder before possibly painting the hulls later this week.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 40   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.