Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.  (Read 321150 times)

nhp651

Re: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.
« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:32 am »

you would not believe how long it has taken today, just to mask up the decks of three models ready for spraying the antislip areas to the decks, and the deck surrounds..........just unbeleivable, but now it's done, some colour on the models will encourage me to get on with the topside cabins and detailing.

I sprayed the antislip to the parts of the deck needed with a textured paint which dries with a gritty type look, and although not the colour I need for a classic lifeboat, the texture isn't far from what I need, so, not being a true purist, I'll settle for it, with a colour wash later to the lighter grey that I want to match the kick boards.

And in the order, the photos are:

Masking up.

the inner parts of the front cabins of the H F Bailey and the Mary Stanford posed a little dilemma as I had no combings to stick the tape too......so I coated the inner walls with masking tape and then shoved an old rag into the well to cover the floors.....hope it works, lol

And before I sprayed the textured paint which would almost certainly bung up the small 0.5mm holes that I had drilled to take the pins for the kick boards I inserted some longer brass rod into the start and finish holes to locate the kick boards once the paint had dried.

And then using the textured paint and here is a picture of the textured paint can I use for the none slip deck coatings I did a little shaking and then got down to the serious stuff, and added my first colour.

OOOOHHH.can feel the sap rising, lol

With the end result.
Just have to leave it for 24 hours now for the paint to set solid.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2012, 02:38:44 am »

Hi again Neil, this tread is  one of the best I have followed on here. I am really looking forward to the painting & finishing work.(one of my really weak points among a lot of others). It was a pleasure speaking to you today on the phone, I really want to get over & meet as many Mayhem members as possible, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, so to speak, LOL. I really owe some guys a few pints after all the help I have been given on here I will even buy one for Dave @ ACTion & I want to know if Martin is a real person or not, there are rumours that he is an Android, thats why he never has to sleep. Back to your build, it is the prep work that takes the most time & determines the quality of the final finish, ask any autobody painter. Do you spray with an air brush or hand paint with a brush ?, just curious. Mick B.
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2012, 05:50:37 am »

Hi Mick - I would like to meet you - you did invite the ugly  O0 {-)

Brush or Spray surely can't be the issue here ...............
How does Neil paint anything in his dust shop ........ er work shop I mean? :D

Seriously though - Paint is something I really need to learn about Neil. I have
had some good advice on paint from Peter but it would be nice to also see it
done before I have a go.

Dave

nhp651

« Reply #278 on: February 21, 2012, 07:53:58 am »

Do you spray with an air brush or hand paint with a brush ?, just curious. Mick B.

And nice to talk to you as well Mick.
I use automotive sprays from Halfords car care shops, mainly, but do use a brush for such things as the kickboards and have some nice cammel haired brushes for that. I use Humbrol enamel paints for this job, but these paints are the last to go on, as they are fine to paint over and on top of acrylics and cellulose paints..........however,as the age old question of which paint first........you can't paint an acrylic or cellulose paint over and on top of an enamel or oil based paint as the cellulose or acrylic will eat into the enamel and oil paint and leave an "orange peel" effect, and ruin your paint work.

I'll phone Adrian tonight about your Tamar, Mick and then get back to you.........as someone said recently I suppose I'm one of the "clique" that he will talk to....suppose it's because I don't malign or abuse him on open forum every chance I get...{:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

nhp651

« Reply #279 on: February 21, 2012, 08:52:03 am »

Hi Mick - I would like to meet you - you did invite the ugly  O0 {-)

Brush or Spray surely can't be the issue here ...............
How does Neil paint anything in his dust shop ........ er work shop I mean? :D

Seriously though - Paint is something I really need to learn about Neil. I have
had some good advice on paint from Peter but it would be nice to also see it
done before I have a go.

Dave

I normally sheet up and hide it all when I spray, Dave.

As for lessons on painting..........don't look to me for those.........I'm the last one to ask........am sadly very impatient and usually cock it up more that once.
Welsh Wizzard is the man to give lessons on this, and has many times on here and other forums, kindly offered good advice and his knowledge on the subject of how to paint well.
My ignorance of the subject is well known, and that is one of the reasons I prefer to build classics with "wooden" cabins more often than not..they only need varnishing.

neil.

richtea

« Reply #280 on: February 21, 2012, 08:14:58 pm »

Varnishing is an art in itself, Neil,
looking forwards to the rest of this superb 3 boat build.
Regards
Richard  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #281 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:21 pm »

Varnishing and french polishing I can do, Richard...........had plenty of practise doing that as a teacher of woodwork for many a year.............I love bringing out the colours of the grain.....it's the covering up of the natural stuff that I loose patience with, lol

thanks for the comments.
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2012, 10:17:45 pm »

today's job, after clearing a little space for working on the 3 boats was to seal the kickboards with cellulose sanding sealer.....3 coats were given and then rubbed down with fine grade wire wool.

Finally I painted them with humbrol enamels.the mary Stanford and the field Marshall and Mrs Smuts were painted a light shade of matt brown tan. (which will be given a coat of satin varnish later)......whilst the H F Bailey boards were painted in a mid satin grey.

heritorasphodel

« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2012, 11:43:55 pm »

Are you sure that the Mary Stanford's and the FM and MS's toeboards were painted? On all the boats I've seen they were simply varnished. I suppose that these may be exceptions  {:-{

Andrew

nhp651

« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:23 am »

yes,andrew...

here's H F Bailey, Mary Stanford in pics......the grey on H F Bailey is plain to see.
the brown on the Mary Stanford comes out red on the bow shot, and faded brownis red over varnish on the two starboard shots of her with the cabin that was added when the Irish harbour board added their touches.

However on the fabulous painting by Tim Thompson of her rescue of the crew from the Daunt Rock lightship in 1936 ( and Tim Thompson was renown for his extensive research, he has painted the kickboards grey).

And finally I had a conversation with an old gentleman in a rest home on Angelsey a few weeks ago who was mechanic and Second coxs'n of Field Marshal and Mrs Smuts when she served at Beaumaris from 1946/47 until sent to the reserve fleet who told me that the kickboards on her were painted a light brown........he had in fact painted them, lol

So I feel justified in painting them that colour. I know that a lot were varnished, the Anne Lettitia Russell was definately varnished, but I try to strive for authenticity on a certain date in history, and may even paint the MS grey rather than red/brown.....haven't made up my mind yet.
Hope this clears up a little ambiguity for you and others.
neil..

nhp651

« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2012, 08:32:04 am »

In fact, having looked closer to the bow shots of the Mary Stanford, you can plainly see the under paint of the reddishbrown is grey......so think I'll change that this morning.
Also, the anti fouling on the Mary Stanford will be painted green, to represent the green lead used at period in time of 1936, rather than the red shown in these shots.
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:30 am »

also whilst I was looking at the paint drying........very theraputic and avoids boredom, I dug out some pieces that I had made some time ago for the boats to see if they were still there and not lost.........luckily I had made double sets for both the watson and the Barnett class boats, and as the watson has changed in design for the second boat somewhat, I was lucky in that I had only lost one piece which was nort needed on the second boat.......the pieces........oh yes..........the timber gratings for the bottom of the floor for the well decks.

The original 5mm square grating was made as an A4 sheet for me by a mate in his woodworking shop where he had access to a radial arm cross cut saw.we riged a jig to lock into each spur in turn to make the grating "teath" (The crossed halving joints that make up the joints) absolutely square and interlocking into the cross members. It was a fete of woodworking and took hours to cut..........we used Obeche to make it, and I was going to use it on a 1:12 scale model of the Duke of Northumberland water jet drive lifeboat of 1886 vintage.

However after producing a mould and a hull for the boat about 18 years ago I lost interest and my mate dumped the mould and moulding, so the only thing that ever got made for that lifeboat was the grating.......so it came in very usefull for the new boats, being the same scale.

I cut sections off the A4 sheet and then edged it with some mahogany "L" shaped banding that I made, also from two pieces of timber.

the smaller section gratings are for another section of the boat and were bought from an ebay supplier.

They will eventually be varnished with a gloss finish ( possibly satin.............yet to decide).

heritorasphodel

« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2012, 04:19:23 pm »

Yeah, that's definitely cleared it up. Cheers   :-)

Andrew

nhp651

« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:06 pm »

No problems Andrew.
glad to help.
neil.

furball

« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:47 pm »

The problem is, of course, that there are very few contemporary colour pictures of the old boats and it can be difficult to judge colour from old orthochromatic black and white film which was very insensitive to blue.

Also, in the '60s a lot of varnished wood was painted over. There's a story we've heard of the mechanic of a Liverpool crying into his beer after his boat went off to refit with a highly polished mahogany canopy, and came back with a few coats of orange paint on it.

(I'm typing this on hear rather than just talking to Andrew, who is no. 2 son, and is sitting about 2 feet away from me as I type this...and it's time for him to make a cuppa!  )

{-)

Lance

nhp651

« Reply #290 on: February 22, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »

Also, in the '60s a lot of varnished wood was painted over. There's a story we've heard of the mechanic of a Liverpool crying into his beer after his boat went off to refit with a highly polished mahogany canopy, and came back with a few coats of orange paint on it.
Lance
I can imagine his language on seeing her coming back home......anglo saxon would not really describe it, lol

I used to chat with the old mechanic of Fleetwood's Watson...........and after a service or practice he would prop the scupper flaps open with matchsticks to let the air through to avoid rot and such.........an area inspector paid an impromptu visit one morning to the boat house and enquired rather hoitily as to what the matchsticks were for.Old 'Drew explained in his broad Scottish accent and told the inspector that they washed out as soon as she hit the water at the end of the slip..........to which he ( the inspector ) virtually accused the mechanic of lying to him, and ordered an immediate launch.
Drew had the maroon fired for standby, the crew all dropped tools from their jobs and raced to the boat house to be told by the inspector that he had ordered the launch ion order to prove that the mechanic was talking b******.......

45 minutes later he left the station with a flee in his ear and egg on his face.....but not before he'd gone round every scupper flap and checked that there weren't any matchsticks left inside the scupper tunnels..........

they certainly knew how to wind up crews in those days.

heritorasphodel

« Reply #291 on: February 22, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »

One has no choice but to be a lifeboat anorak when one has a Furball for a father  :}

Andrew

nhp651

« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:55 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)............that's no way to talk about your dad.....................

You sound like my daughters....always giving me grief....... {:-{ <:( <:( <:( <:(

get him to build you a model ....................that'll keep him busy, lol O0 O0 O0 O0 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

and nice to hear from you......but I  still can't work out your name on mayhem :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

nhp651

« Reply #293 on: February 22, 2012, 09:30:58 pm »

Lance........I'm going to be down in kent the first week in April for a break.............do you know which lifeboat "museum" the old barnett, stromness class model is in that Brian King restored in an article in Model Boats some years ago

I'd like to visit and take a few shots of her.............it is on the south coast, either in kent or East Sussex.
if you or anyone else know, could they please let me know.
cheers, neil.

furball

« Reply #294 on: February 22, 2012, 09:54:26 pm »

It is (or was last year) in the life boat museum in Eastbourne. I'm sure that they used to have a website, and you could see it in the photos, but the place has just been refurbished and I can't find the site anymore - it might be worth giving them a ring to see if it's still on display. They also had, at one point, the other model made by C.J. Cavell, who was the Walmer mechanic, of the old Walmer boat, but the last time I saw this it was in storage at Pool in a terrible state.

The Barnett model might be labelled up as 'J.J.K.S.W.', but it's actually of 'The Rankin' as it was the only 51 footer in this configuration.

Andrew's building his own boats. The Thurso 47' Watson, Pentland, is sitting nearly complete on the coffee table in front of us. I'm sure he'll post some pictures at some point.

Lance

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: February 22, 2012, 10:00:02 pm »

Just a guess Neil  http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Heritor_Asphodel  ;D
I've never played any games though.

Dave

heritorasphodel

« Reply #296 on: February 22, 2012, 10:04:30 pm »

Got it in one  :-)

I read the books a few years ago, and the name sort of stuck  :-)

Andrew

nhp651

« Reply #297 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:48 pm »

thanks Lance.....Will give then a ring nearer the time.

well Andrew........I'd never have guessed in a million years, and thanks for the link, Dave....will have a look at that.
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #298 on: February 22, 2012, 11:16:40 pm »

Just a point that you mentioned, Lance..............what was the difference between the Rankin and all the other Barnetts of that class...........would be very interested to know. :-))
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:59 am »

well, I stripped the masking tape off the decks last night and found I'd dropped a b*****s with one section of one of the boats.........I'd not masked it up properly and it had left a small area not painted that should have been, so had to re mask and spray again....after a couple of hours and a quick colour wash job it had blended in with the other areas that had been painted and didn't look too bad, although there was a join line.........I can cover that on the model with a couple of hanks of rope..........so all was not lost.
Also I found that there had been very little weepage under the masking tape of the very thin paint wash and this was soon scraped off to leave clean edged.

I had repainted the kick boards for the Mary Stanford to grey earlier in the day and had  then painted some fairleads in antique bronze and a full 3 sets of kick board brackets in grey.
To end off the day's work I made a mould from 3 old grab rails I had made out of room temperature vulcanising rubber, plastecine and Lego building blocks which I will eventually cast for deck fittings for the Mary Stanford and H F bailey.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 40   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.