Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.  (Read 321131 times)

nhp651

Re: 3 Lifeboat builds, What goes into a model kit.
« Reply #325 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:47 pm »

next two fittings on the agenda were the cable stopper and the mast tabernacle for the H F Bailey.
again, all parts made some time ago.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2012, 03:15:15 pm »

Fascinating details Neil. What lovely workmanship.   :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2012, 05:48:49 pm »

I am not sure what to say Neil, everyday a new surprise from you, just terrific workmanship all over. I am assuming you had to make the moulds for all the bits you are showing on here. It might be nice to see a little bit on how you do it & how much the whole thing costs to do & the time involved . Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2012, 09:50:33 pm »

Thanks kenny and Mick....appreciate the comments...............I thought I'd gone through the process of making a mould earlier in the build log, Mick........if I hadn't I can do.
Do you want it in more detail.
neil.
anyway, as a little taster here is the next fitting that \i did......the main davit and base for the Mary Stanford "fisherman's pattern" anchor carried on her starboard side and used for veering down on a casualty.

The four triangular shaped supports should, as with real boat have cut outs, but I feel that this would , on a working model weaken them and as such I have made them solid from polyU castings.
also on the model, the davit is ( from memory) filmed on this occasion on the port and not the starboard side.......but it ain't fixed yet anyway, lol

nhp651

« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2012, 09:58:12 pm »

funnily............................

the actual white metal davit is cast from a davit I made in brass some years ago to replace the davits on a Mountfleet Models St Nectan steam trawler for a pattern that fitted my modified trawler.................exactly the same diameter, same length, just a little difference on the curve of the top part, and as I cast with a little more lead in my white metal than some ( well no child is going to come along and chew my davits now, are they, LOl),...........................
...................... I was able to bend the davit to the right curvature.....

made a lot more sense than making another in brass and then moulding it............... just for the Mary Stanford.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: March 02, 2012, 08:29:00 am »

It's O/K for now Neil, we can get to that another time. I am getting excited about my Tamar kit I hope all goes to plan, I am a long way away if things go wrong & may need your help mate if that happens, Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #331 on: March 02, 2012, 08:40:31 am »

No problems with that Mick.......in the "clique" as someone once said, lol......hope you enjoy the build.

Anyway............
Another fitting completed yesterday was the Mast Tabernacle for the Mary Stanford..........totally different to theone on the H F Bailey, and yet again tho that on the FM and Mrs S.....and that one I haven't made yet, never mind cast.

This one has been a mixture of white metal for the uprights, polyU for the back and side gussets and obeche' spacer for the bottom of the actual tabernacle

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: March 02, 2012, 08:46:18 am »

Hi Neil ,you are up early & in your shop, me it is 1.45 pm, so off to bed I go. Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #333 on: March 02, 2012, 09:07:44 am »

yep, I am that Mick.........got to make a start on putting all these together, lol.....there's a lad in California building a Dumas 36' lifeboat,on the RC models web forum and I've promissed him some handrails for it, so was casting like a man possessed yesterday and might be able to get them off to him today............they are generic with the ones I'm fixing to the bow section of the Mary Stanford so he might as well have some whilst they come out the same mould as mine, lol....what's a little resin??

nhp651

« Reply #334 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:26 am »

:((

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:17 am »

whay the sad face?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

nhp651

« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2012, 10:23:43 am »

coz gateway504 timed me out again, and when I got back into it......the post had been made in duplicate.......so I deleted all content and just left a sad face, matey.........rather than a blank post.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: March 02, 2012, 10:31:41 am »

Ah ok

Thought it had all gone horribly and irretrievably wrong!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2012, 10:52:16 am »

Sorry about your  504 error Neil

My advice is to never continue, but to close down the site and re-open it again.

All messages are getting through, so there will be duplicates if you continue.

Hope this helps.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

nhp651

« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:49 am »

cheers, kenny.......so when the gateway pops up......just close it and then re open......OK :-))

Yes ...... it might be advisable to Copy first, Just in case.  ;)  ken

nhp651

« Reply #340 on: March 02, 2012, 10:58:04 am »

Ah ok

Thought it had all gone horribly and irretrievably wrong!

No essex...........if that happens the bovine excretia will flow and I'll cover my tracks eminantly well, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: March 02, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »

Have to call you Izal... as the S..t don't stick lol :D

nhp651

« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2012, 11:17:49 pm »

well.......I suppose it's not the worst thing I've ever been called, {-) {-) {-)

anyway, back to the build.
Yesterday I'd started to cast in polyU resin the cowl vents and the trunks for them.
Today was a time to glue them together. I always finf that drilling by eye and finding the centre of a circle ( i.e. the centre of the trunks ) for pinning the two pieces together isn't easy.......so have found in the past that if you drill the holes oversize for the brass pin to be used, you can adjust the position of both parts to get them fitting properly.......I set them together using two part epoxy glue.

However, when sorting out the bases for both sizes of cowl vent trunks I found that there were none to the new size which is larger than those used on the Anne Letitia Russell..............so I set about turning two of each size needed on the laithe from brass bar.

First, on this process, I centre drilled the brass with a live centre tool, and then drilled the smaller hole with a HSS drill bit to the same size as the trunk.
However, the larger trunk needed a hole outside the size I carry, and so I used a cutting tool to cut a hole into the centre of the brass bar as per trunk diameter (after pre drilling a hole to the largest size of drill bit I have).
I then cut the bases out using a couple of tools with the laithe, and finally cleaned the fittings up, before parting off with a straight cut parting tool.
they are now set into a plastecine and lego mould box ready for casting a 1 piece mould for surface pouring and casting with polyU resin.

nhp651

« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:15 pm »

and to turning the bases for the cowl vents.............
and the finished product ready for moulding and casting.

nhp651

« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2012, 11:42:34 pm »

gonna weigh me scrap swarf in and buy a tamar kit I think,  {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %% %%

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2012, 06:13:29 am »

Your parting tool works a lot better than mine I can tell you. I don't know what you pay for brass over there but it is now like gold here. I must go & buy some tomorrow & am dreading the thought. Your ability to make bits & pieces never seizes to amaze me & the speed at which you get things done is frankly unreal. I feel like having a fire when I see what you can do, not much hope for us peon's. Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2012, 09:01:17 am »

I get mine from a mate in the biz.........he makes lighting fixtures for a living, and always has scrap pieces liying around..........so I'm lucky there. O0
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2012, 01:27:24 pm »

got up early this morning to mould the rubber and then make a casting.......turned out better that I thought,

this is the simplest of methods of casting......open casts, where you only need to cast one side of the master..........not done it in ages, but it has worked out well with the first casting coming out clean and crisp.
neil.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: March 03, 2012, 06:54:29 pm »

Like I said before, Genius, pure Genius. Mick B.
Mick B.

nhp651

« Reply #349 on: March 03, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »

In an earlier post can be seen the cowl vents abreast of the funnel.

But where did I get the funnels from in the first place........I made the funnels at size I wanted  from blocks of  obeche timber and then cut them in to two halves, thus, the timber lost would allow for the thickness of the plastic.

Then I set them onto a board, drilled with a 3mm bit in a grid of 10mm square all around the funnel halves.

That was then presented to my very friendly school head of CDT dept where my daughters attend, and he vac formed the funnel halves for me.

It was just a matter then of cutting them to the right lines imprinted on the vac formings, bracing them on the inside with plasticard strips and gluing together.

I false top was plased inside the top rim of the funnel once the top of the moulding had been cut out and trimmed....a top rim of plasticard was cut to shape and added onto the funnel.

On the funnel for dry fitting is the white metal base flange................made some time ago.......I was going to replace that with polyU castings but can't find the mould, so cleaned up the white metal ones and fitted them to the funnels at the right height for the funnel in question...each being a different length depending on where they were stationed and depending on the headroom in the boat house.

Also on the Field Marshall and Mrs Smuts, the funnel has a capping, which I have made in milliput for casting, and this was cast today but I've forgotten to take a photo of the finished casting so will post that tomorrow,it looks a lot better than the teracota coloured capping shown in the picture.....but the workshop is now closed for the night, and I'm having a nice beer to relax. O0 O0 O0 O0
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 40   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.