Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFA Piranha  (Read 2779 times)

cuppa

MFA Piranha
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:22:19 am »

I am not sure if it is 'necessary' to post a 'what's in the box' for the Piranha because I gather many people have had one at some stage in their model boating careers but for the benefit of novices such as myself here goes:

A photo of the box as first opened.... and below is a photo of the contents:

The kit is very complete and the fibreglass parts appear to be of good quality. A nice touch is that the propshaft and rudder positions are clearly marked on the hull moulding. First thing I did was to check the accuracy of the markings and they are 'bang on' The kit also has a comprehensive hardware pack including propshaft, coupling, prop, rudder and an aerial. There are also packs containing a full size plan. self adhesive decals and instructions and two sheets of die-cut plywood parts. It seems to be a very good buy for the money.

To complete the kit you will need a 600 sized motor, battery pack, radio transmitter and receiver, a servo for rudder control, an electronic speed control, silicone sealer and some epoxy resin.

I plan to build this as a sports boat for my young grandson. The build will differ a little from 'kit standard' as i plan to use a modern aluminium and fibreglass motor mount rather than the supplied plywood bulkhead and to install a watertight taped down hatch at deck level so if he rolls the model over it should remain watertight. I am also going to watercool the speed controller and motor.

cuppa

Re: MFA Piranha
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:37:37 am »

Forgot to mention that, based on reviews I had read that said the coupling supplied was small and prone to breakage, I ordered a coupling to replace the kit one. When I examined the supplied hardware I found that the coupling supplied was very substantial and appears to be well up to the job. The reviews I read were several years old so it appears that MFA have taken the earlier comments on board and now supply a decent coupling with the kit. It is the same as the coupling I had ordered so I now have a spare (Which is not a bad thing).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 19 queries.