Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live steam power  (Read 19644 times)

tugsmoke

• Shipmate
Re: Live steam power
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2014, 02:16:28 pm »

Hi chaps

Thanks for all the favourable comments. Well there is no stainless steel used on the engine. It's mainly just steel polished up a bit with emery tape here and there, brass, gunmetal and oh and the base is aluminium alloy. If you use steels with good machinability a good finish can be achieved straight off the tool. The pics are also brightly lit with a mix of daylight and flash which makes things look shiny. Full size drawings can be purchased from My Hobby Store (Plan No M65 for £12.00) and Reeves  supply the castings (at a price). I have PDF files of the original construction articles which I will be happy to send if you email me at "XXXXXXXXXXX.com"

It is not advisable use your email address on an open forum.  To contact this member, please use the forum's mail system

ken

tugsmoke

• Shipmate
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2015, 04:57:52 pm »

Hi everyone
Well I have finished the boiler feed pump and on a simple bench test it appears to work OK ( see attached pic) I am now beginning to think about installation in the boat and all that may entail in the layout etc. So the first problem to encounter is the propeller. I understand that the thing to go for is the largest diameter which will fit together with a large pitch (1.5 times the diameter). I think an 80mm diameter will just about squeeze into the stern frame. The only prop I have found of this diameter is a Raboesch one which is square ie 80 mm pitch. On the other hand the only steam prop (pitch 1.5 times diameter) I have found is a Propshop one which is only 70mm diameter. Which would be the best bet or can anyone suggest something better. Oh I have also come across a Rivabo 80mm prop but Rivabo don't publish pitch information. 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2015, 09:43:07 pm »

;)....have mentioned before ........beautiful work Mike  :-)) ...........I tried to count the pump reduction ratio but being in 3rd angle is only a guess.....16:56 teeth?......[14:1?]......

There is another UK prop manufacturer that I understood manufactured specials......George Streict?.........sorry  :embarrassed: the spelling of the surname is incorrect, but I am sure another member will correct it..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2015, 10:05:07 pm »

Possible competition here.       %)        :}

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

tugsmoke

• Shipmate
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2015, 11:25:37 am »

Hi everyone

Well Derek you did very well counting the gear teeth. I have the engine in my hand and gave up with the large gear and referred to the build information instead. Any how it is 15T and 55T so the ratio is approx. 3.7:1 reduction. The pump stroke is 1/4 inch and the bore should be 5/16 inch but wound up 8mm. You can guess how came about. :embarrassed:

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2015, 02:47:48 pm »

;)....have mentioned before ........beautiful work Mike  :-)) ...........I tried to count the pump reduction ratio but being in 3rd angle is only a guess.....16:56 teeth?......[14:1?]......

There is another UK prop manufacturer that I understood manufactured specials......George Streict?.........sorry  :embarrassed: the spelling of the surname is incorrect, but I am sure another member will correct it..... Derek

I think the name you are looking for is George Sitek  http://www.gsitek-props.co.uk/
I have bought 'specials' from him in the past with good results and at a fair price. The only caveat I would mention is that he is a one-man band and you need to order early and allow a bit of extra time. Give him a ring and explain what you want.
Regards,
Barry M

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 11:27:03 pm »

Your engine looks superb and love the finishing touches like the numbers on the connecting rods and all the studs same size also the solid crankshaft which I have not attempted to date ,great work
Cheers
John
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.