Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planet R6M reciever ( Planet T5)  (Read 8006 times)

john44

Planet R6M reciever ( Planet T5)
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:15 pm »

HI guys , just purchased a R6M receiver for my trawlercat and there was an "Important user Guide" with it this time.
RE:- new failsafe function for the R6M (7710350)

From the Factory setting (throttle reverse switch in the normal position)
The failsafe is set to go to the lowest positionin the event of any signal loss.
This function is now factory pre-set so no setting up is required.

If you require the throttle to work in the opposite direction(in reverse rotation).

Make sure the transmitter & reciever are switched off

* reverse the throttle channel on the transmitter.

* Re-Bind the receiver to the transmitter in the normal way

*Ready to use

This is the important bit guys O0

Warning;-  failing to re-bind the transmitter to the receiver when reversing the throttle channel.
Will result in the throttle going to full power if the system goes into failsafe. OUCH   <:(

I have posted this to help people who may buy a boat in the future with one of these set ups
I know if I do I will re-bind just to be sure.

john44

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Planet R6M reciever ( Planet T5)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:40:06 pm »

That needs to be really stressed in LARGE PRINT by the manufacturers.
Most of us with Planet Gear will buy a couple of extra receivers and not
bother with the paperwork because the ones we already have work OK
we set the new ones up the same.
As John says 'Ouch'
John, Thanks for sharing the info.  :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:55:46 pm »

Erm ... I don't really do electricals but if you do that won't it just go full speed in reverse ?  {:-{
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

bobk

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:23:31 pm »

I have recently bought a second RM6 receiver for my new build and don't remember seeing that on the paperwork with it.
Would I be correct in assuming that the way to test for this 'new version' condition would be to power up the T5 and boat whilst still on its trolley, then turn off the transmitter to simulate loss of signal?  If the boat doesn't turn the motors full on then I guess I should be OK with this Rx ?

john44

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:27:21 pm »

Erm ... I don't really do electricals but if you do that won't it just go full speed in reverse ?  {:-{

Not necessarily in reverse.
 What the makers are saying, if you reverse the throttle setting without afterwards re-bining the two together,
you reverse the failsafe & instead of the failsafe bieing the lowest setting. It will go to its highest setting.

when these units first came out all I did when wanting to reverse the throttle setting ( I have about 10 boats with planet receivers)
all I did was to switch off both the transmitter and RX change the channel on the TX, then switch on the TX then the RX.
I didnot go through the re-binding proccess.
I have never had a problem, but I have never had a fault to test that theory.

john44

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:35:03 pm »

I have recently bought a second RM6 receiver for my new build and don't remember seeing that on the paperwork with it.
Would I be correct in assuming that the way to test for this 'new version' condition would be to power up the T5 and boat whilst still on its trolley, then turn off the transmitter to simulate loss of signal?  If the boat doesn't turn the motors full on then I guess I should be OK with this Rx ?
I would not worry to much on a new installation Bob as you will be binding your new RX with your transmitter anyway.and if the motor
runs in reverse instead of forwards, you would just change your motor wires over.
As I have said this Planet reciever is the first one I have ever had any instructions with.
But I am glad they mentioned it. :o

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:11:58 pm »

What may be causing some confusion is the use of the word reverse.
A lot of us novices aren't fully up to speed with terminology, etc, lack of experience, so there is a need to explain, illustrate and elaborate.
In this context the boat is not going in reverse, but one of the channels have been or are reversed, by a means of a switch, namely the channel now works in the opposite (reverse) direction/mode.
Take it that is what is being explained, yes???

bobk

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:12:42 pm »

I don't seem to have any problem, but that may depend on date of Rx manufacture, and which channels I am using.  However it does seem worrying that a full ahead / astern could be generated by a loss of signal.  Sounds like a daft version of 'fail safe' to me.
Luckily this frequency is unsuitable for submarines  O0

john44

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:08 pm »

Hi Arti.
sorry for any confusion, I just quoted what the Addendum sheet said.
Yes reverse, does mean opposite direction/mode.
what they are saying is if the throttle channel needs to be switched/reversed/put in the opposite direction
you will also need to re-bind the transmitter with the receiver to keep the factory pre-set failsafe I.E. to go to its lowest position.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 11:29:00 pm »

Thanks John.

Most, if not all instruction sheets etc, are written in Chinglish

Raises question, if it's possible for a similar problem to occur with other similar 2.4 sets with failsafe.

john44

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 09:38:50 am »

Hi Arti,
 yes it is worrying to think that the same problem could occur with similar 2.4 sets
at least Planet are WARNING people of the fact/not fault with their product.
The problem would only ever occur if the re-binding process was not carried out properly anyway.

john

cuppa

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 11:18:51 am »

Personally, for marine use, I would prefer a receiver without a built in failsafe feature so that I could fit an external one that can have the 'failsafe' throttle position set in the position of my choosing.

The throttle failsafe of the 6M is fine if you have a forwards only speed controller but not so hot if you have a forwards and reverse speed controller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.