Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Lagos  (Read 4400 times)

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Lagos
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:40:45 pm »

Hi guys,..i,m looking for some info on ,what i believe to be, quite a rare model,....on the 8th March I bought this model at a public auction, it is a 1/72nd scale HMS Lagos,..it came from a deceased,s estate,....from the numerous badges that were on the stand this model must have been built sometime during the 1980,s ....The model was not for me, i bought it for a friend who could,nt attend the auction,...pics will be posted by another member, as at the moment they are too big for me to post directly,...from memory the badges were from a show in Preston, and Merseyside,...and some other places...these were dated from the early 90,s through to 99....hopefully someones memory will be jogged when they see it,
Come, and I will show you,where the Iron Crosses grow

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: HMS Lagos
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:46:53 pm »

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »

Although I covered all the events mentioned I don't recall ever seeing this model there, I shall have to trawl though the archive.

LB

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:14:13 pm »

Thanks for posting the pics Larry,..i,m going to have to learn how to resize the ones i,ve got,...now for more info on whats in the model,Whoever built it...made a beautiful job of it,..and the inside work...is fantastic, the 2 main turrets are linked by a cog and chain to the rangefinder,..so that they turn together,the asdic lamps flash, and you can hear morse code through the sound system,..there is also an old Sony Walkman inside that has a recording of main gun fire and the pompoms,..the pompoms are also motorised,as are the two banks of torpedo tubes that are amidship,..it also has a very good smoker, fitted at the stern there are depth charges and also ones on little stands that would have been fired port/starboard,..and these have tubes inside that would have been fitted to a compressed air system,..the motors are massive, they measure 110 mm long x 85mm dia they are not your normal electric motor, these 2 have an alloy case and they look like the windings are encased in oil,...the shafts are 5mm and the props are 65mm i think, but i,ll check on Monday,...as you can see there are numerous crew members in various poses all over the ship,....there is even 2 of them working on a torpedoand they have their tool kits and one guy has a spanner in his hand,...when i won it, it also came with an F14 transmitter,....all in all its a testemant to some mans capabilities .....and maybe one of his life,s work,.....in pic 2 you can see the men working on the torpedo.

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:45:43 pm »

The guy who now owns this model, as a very good friend of mine,..he,s in hisc 80,s but his mind is still sharp, ..he,s an ex submariner,..and he has a passion for Subs,..he has in total 7 static dive subs..and 1 dynamic ..7 of them he has built from kits that he bought...the one in some of the pics, is an Engel typhoon,..which has everything in it,..then there is a Akula, same again full rc, then he has 2 x Type S model, 3 x Gato,s,..all rc ..he built two of them....the 3rd one, i won on ebay just before Christmas,it was a brand new build,..it came from the Glasgow area,it had been on ebay with a start price of £1500....with no takers, then it was re-listed with a start price of £500...and thats what i got it for....its got everything in it from engel, and came with an F14..and lastly he has a dynamic type V11........
my pal Bill was on Subs from 1952 until 1964.....

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:08:27 pm »

I could be wrong the old memory isn't what it once was but I remember reading a article in a old model boat or marine modeling mag in the 80s about a guy called Stan Robinson who built a battle class with loads of working parts, I am almost sure it was HMS Lagos. I think he also built a very detailed perkassa too.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:07:18 pm »

Obviously, this is Stan Robinsons example of HMS Logos. he used to have a series of detonators trailing astern which simulated depth charges going off. He used to display this at many events most notably the Ellesmere Port convention twenty or so years ago though, I really don't recall it at Southport.

Stan is still around though, these days he is in to hovercraft in a big way and can be seen at the Haydock show.

LB

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:01:13 am »

I was led to believe that this came from a deceased,s estate.....up here in Scotland...but if its as you suspect, then it must have been bought from this Stan Robinson....tis also a bit of a mystery as to why its got all those badges from Southport,and you not seeing it there...there are other badges and stickers on it...which i,ll take pics of on Monday....there was one badge however that has turned out to be quite valuable....its a U-Boot combat clasp,with oakleaves and crossed swords,it was stuck to the side of the stand,..it has the German Eagle with swastika with a U-boot beneath,..its gilt silver,..and on the back in raised letters is Schwerin im Berlin...the pin is missing ..but it was a nice find

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 02:01:23 pm »

As soon as I saw it I thought Stan Robinson, the working throwers were linked to detonators that were towed behind and exploded, killing most fish in the vicinity.  He also had the Gato class and for  a short while on of Pauls Sirmar Ticonderoga's, but it was to complex for him.

Sadly we used to call him "cheque book modeller" as most of the work was done, although he did add bits.

Convinced this is his, especially with the throwers,
I will finish this model

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 03:00:48 pm »

If anyone can put me in touch with Stan,it would be much appreciated,..i,ve sent messages to the 2 ebay sellers in the hope that they still have the magazines in question....but in case they don,t ..if anyone else has either of these mags i,d happily pay for a copy or a copy of their copy....

wee speug

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 11:11:04 pm »

Hi guys, just to update, this model is the one that was built by Stan Robinson....a friend of mine showed me the magazine article detailing all that went into building this ..i was amazed when i read that Stan had bought 7  x 1/72nd scale Perkasa,s ..just so he could get some of the parts he needed,namely the pom,poms, themodel is now being restored...not that it needs much restoring mind you...cos its in very good cond,considering its over 25 years old,..what was needing attention was the electrics, and this has now been taken care of by another member on here,..he stripped out a lot of the old bits,i.e. switches and servo,s that operated switches etc,  and he  has replaced a lot of the wiring,..that had become brittle,..i got a taste of whats in it today..and it was awesome,..the sound system...."remote"sony walkman....played ..incoming aircraft sounds and pompom sounds,the asdic flashes, then you can hear morse code, then after 30secs the search lights flash..and so on...the smoker works perfectly, and it will be getting an upgrade..whereby, dense smoke can be had by the flick of a switch,..from the handset,

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:19:31 am »

Wee speug, you mention that Lagos is going in for an update and refit, I wondered if you were going to
amend a couple of errors made by the original builder -( I have an interest in this class having served on
one for 2 1/2 yrs). 
most of the class had their weapons fit altered through their lifetime but none of them ever had two 40 mm
bofors fitted in front of the bridge, they had only one fitted on the centreline between the bridge and B turret,
Lagos would also have had fitted a single 40mm fitted port and stbd below the bridge where the 20 mm are currently
fitted and finally the 2 x single 40mm on the aftermost platform would have been 2 x  twin 40s  (of different marks throughout her
service.)
I have a few photos/books of this class if you require any or there is a very good set of photos on World Naval Ships Forum( but I
think you have to be a member to view them (just takes a day or so to register) I used them a lot when building my own battle class model.
Best of luck with your  upgrade.
Geoff

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/index.php
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 12:22:17 pm »

Thankyou for the post....but, this model will not be getting altered ..structurally from what it was when Stan built her,..from what i,ve learned over these past few days, I doubt very much....that  Stan did,nt know the gun layout of this model,..he built it his way, and thats the way it will remain...the only upgrades that his model is getting is new technology to replace the old parts that are inside....

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 04:50:29 pm »

He modified it not built :}
I will finish this model

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 08:13:59 pm »

Well, whatever he did, he made a nice job of it....considering that this model is over 25 years old...cosmetically..its looking good...and weather permitting it will be on the pond on Sunday....

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 11:32:55 pm »

yes agree its done well good luck with it, take it you will not be exploding depth charges with it :}
I will finish this model

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 02:20:14 am »

well...we are considering that...we,ve got some theatrical maroons...basically..they are 12v bangers,...and they are loud....but somehow i feel that we,d have to go to our pond at first light, so as not to upset the other members,...cos i don,t think it would do their swinging bricks any good....but the model sounds great with the aircraft sounds and the bofors firing..and its surprisingly loud....if its a nice day i,ll be sure to take some pics....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.