Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a FV Northwestern (Deadliest Catch)  (Read 71969 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Making a FV Northwestern (Deadliest Catch)
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »

We are watching Chris and waiting for the day the hulls are for sale.
A lot of guys on here like the real vessel but there is not a lot of info
out there. Your hull looks right. Your Bridge/Deckhouse looks right.
I know that some forum members have recorded the series and
printed stills of the deck details with the intention of a build.
Yours Chris, is the first that has got this far.
Keep on Keeping on  :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 07:13:39 pm »

Hy Chris
I am one of those who have'nt yet made a comment, but I have been watching with great interest, you're doing a really nice job. I know the work you are putting in can be just as frustrating as it can exhilerating, but well worth the effort. Looking forward to more of the same.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

chris gillespie

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:21 pm »

We are watching Chris and waiting for the day the hulls are for sale.
A lot of guys on here like the real vessel but there is not a lot of info
out there. Your hull looks right. Your Bridge/Deckhouse looks right.
I know that some forum members have recorded the series and
printed stills of the deck details with the intention of a build.
Yours Chris, is the first that has got this far.
Keep on Keeping on  :-)) :-))

Ned

Your right Ned there is very little out there, i have some 600 odd pictures of the Northwestern i have watched all the series of deadliest catch a few times, purely to look for shots of the Northwestern.
Interestingly ever where ive researched reckons the Cornelia Marie is longer or at least the same length as the Northwestern. I have a Deadliest Catch still that shows and proves the CM is a good bit shorter :-)). A bit of usless info for you haha.

chris gillespie

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 10:33:19 pm »

Ive been working on the hull details, these are all pencilled on and are ready to be cut/drilled added to etc. Ive added the first coat of red anti foul, lightly sanded. This is all the paint work ill do on the bottom until all the running gear/keel/and bow thrusters etc.

wbeedie

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 05:56:01 pm »

Your right Ned there is very little out there, i have some 600 odd pictures of the Northwestern i have watched all the series of deadliest catch a few times, purely to look for shots of the Northwestern.
Interestingly ever where ive researched reckons the Cornelia Marie is longer or at least the same length as the Northwestern. I have a Deadliest Catch still that shows and proves the CM is a good bit shorter :-)). A bit of usless info for you haha.

Maybe the data for sizes was pre Northwestern lengthening as it had a good bit added to it after she was built cant remember how much but it was in Sig Hansens book

chris gillespie

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 06:31:04 pm »

Maybe the data for sizes was pre Northwestern lengthening as it had a good bit added to it after she was built cant remember how much but it was in Sig Hansens book

on the official site she is 125 feet, and has been since long before deadliest catch, the overhead still was series 3 or 4. We can only take the data that is available, everything about the cornelia has been pretty much unofficial.

here is the pic below

i would put the cornelia marie at 120 feet or so

wbeedie

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 10:20:51 pm »

Then you have LOA and Registered length ,  from tip of stern to tip of bow  for LOA and Stempost to Stern post for registered length to get around size rules
on the official site she is 125 feet, and has been since long before deadliest catch, the overhead still was series 3 or 4. We can only take the data that is available, everything about the cornelia has been pretty much unofficial.

here is the pic below

i would put the cornelia marie at 120 feet or so
For example I was aboard a vessel and her registered length was 28.45m but LOA was 33m here is a picture of a model by Bill Woods of the vessel in question 

chris gillespie

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2012, 04:30:56 pm »

Ive been working on running gear, the holes have been drilled. I had to wait and get a longer prop shaft, at the outset i was going for a short as shaft possible, the 90mm was 30mm too short, so i now have a 160mm just to make sure.
The reason was to keep all the weight in the middle. Ive drilled through for the bow thrusters and also added the keel to the hull. The hardest part so far has been the bilge keel's tricky little things, thankfully they are on now and solid.
Ive also drilled through all deck openings for water escape, also the under deck tank flows. Ive made my own 7mm rubber strakes just need to prime them and stick them on.
Ive got 12 hawsers to drill and anchor area to sort, so not alot left to do asthetically externally.
I have stern deck section cut and ready and bow section is also ready. This isnt going to be as straight forward as it appears, im looking to have some fixed sections of deck and moveable areas on moveable areas lol.

Coming up to crunch time, ELECTRONICS i have a mixture of excitment and trepidation, as i have very little clue about it

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2012, 09:00:42 pm »

Hi Chris, I am another one watching that has said nothing to date, I think it is because you are doing such a good job of explaining all the steps as you go along. Keep up the good work, I for one will be following you right to the launching  & beyond. A very interesting build overall. Mick B.
Mick B.

chris gillespie

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 06:03:53 pm »

Hi Chris, I am another one watching that has said nothing to date, I think it is because you are doing such a good job of explaining all the steps as you go along. Keep up the good work, I for one will be following you right to the launching  & beyond. A very interesting build overall. Mick B.

Thanks, its nice to talk about things, sometimes its a bit lonely wittering on by oneself hahahahaha. Seriously thanks for saying hello.

Im just posting what ive done and what i might be doing next,
All running gear is sealed in, including bow thruster. Ive also been busy marking out below waterline welds/joints etc, ive aslo made 6 large fake anodes that run underneath. There is also about a dozen small anodes at the stern. Ive made 2 fins to act as the sonar sensors.
Ive also been working on finnishing the narrow strip on the top hull ( formerly the original deck height)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2012, 06:33:26 pm »

Keep it up Chris
When it comes to the electronics there are more sparkys on this site with the expertise to set you right
even if they disagree at times.

Keep the log and the photos coming

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:12 pm »

Hey - you work fast. It's less than a month since you first posted - Great progress.

At the risk of sounding thick - what are anodes on a ship? What do they look like?

I am actually moderately thick, but I just hate to sound it  :embarrassed:

Dave ........... and I have actually started watching DC since watching this thread  O0

wbeedie

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2012, 07:41:57 pm »

anodes are usualy bar,pear or circular shaped bits of zinc that re placed on a vessel to halt electolosis in being that they are softer than steel so eat away first
  you can see them unpainted on the anti fouled part of the hull and these are replaced yearly

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2012, 11:16:44 pm »

Interesting build Chris, one of our club members has a model of the Northwestern. I think he bought it as a kit when he was in America. Following your build with interest.
Brian

chris gillespie

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2012, 12:53:32 am »

Interesting build Chris, one of our club members has a model of the Northwestern. I think he bought it as a kit when he was in America. Following your build with interest.
Brian

Interesting, didnt know they did kits, before i started this project i searched and searched and found hee haw...nada, nothing remotely like the real thing. A guy Braak has made a timebandit and is also doing a Northwestern, its the closest so far but i think his wheelhouse is too big. I seen one made by an ex trawler guy on ship nostalgia that isnt like the real thing at all.

I would love to see a photo and more info if possible Brian :-))

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 07:32:25 am »

Hi Dave, some of the better car makers put anodes on bolts where wings attach to the body, it really stops corrosion, sad part is even bodyshops don't know they exist & don't install new ones when they do repairs. I am waiting to see more of your build Chris, are there actual anodes for model boats, I have never heard of any. I knew they put them on full size boats & ships though. Mick B.
Mick B.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 08:57:30 am »

I am waiting to see more of your build Chris, are there actual anodes for model boats, I have never heard of any. I knew they put them on full size boats & ships though. Mick B.

Mick, unless you build a model with a steel hull and sail in salt water, you don't need the real (model) things. Plus they are designed to give protection to steel vessels immersed continuosly in the sea from one year to the next, not for a couple of hours on a Sunday, so no worries !   :-))

Mike

chris gillespie

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 02:34:15 pm »

Hi Dave, some of the better car makers put anodes on bolts where wings attach to the body, it really stops corrosion, sad part is even bodyshops don't know they exist & don't install new ones when they do repairs. I am waiting to see more of your build Chris, are there actual anodes for model boats, I have never heard of any. I knew they put them on full size boats & ships though. Mick B.

No they are imitation, it wouldnt be too hard to make real ones for models, as its just a sacraficial metal bolted on. However as MikeK stated its for steel/metal hull and salt water, not many metal models about and even then they are not in the water long.

The boat moving through the water creates friction and an electric charge, it is this that causes a corrosive reaction on the hull unless these weaker metal anodes are fixed. This works because because the charge follows the path of least resistance which will be the weaker anodes.

It is quite genius who ever thought of it :-)) saved trillions and 100's of thousands of boats.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 04:09:46 pm »

According to Wiki - Anode page,  it was Sir Humphry Davy (a clever guy all round http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphry_Davy)

In 1824 to reduce the impact of this destructive electrolytic action on ships hulls, their fastenings and underwater equipment, the Victorian scientist-engineer Sir Humphry Davy, developed the first and still most widely used marine electrolysis protection system. Davy installed sacrificial anodes made from a more electrically reactive (less noble) metal attached to the vessel hull and electrically connected to form a cathodic protection circuit.

Dave

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »

Interesting, didnt know they did kits, before i started this project i searched and searched and found hee haw...nada, nothing remotely like the real thing. A guy Braak has made a timebandit and is also doing a Northwestern, its the closest so far but i think his wheelhouse is too big. I seen one made by an ex trawler guy on ship nostalgia that isnt like the real thing at all.

I will try and get some info on this Chris

chris gillespie

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 08:22:03 pm »

I will try and get some info on this Chris

Good man, look forward to it O0 :-))

chris gillespie

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 05:35:51 pm »

The weather here in scotland has been on the cold side, so struggled to get much done with glues and epoxies etc. Ive set up a form of heating in the garage and have managed to do the framework for the deck ive already cut. Much like the hull supports many little pieces to be cut and glued together.
I have taken pictures, but there isnt a great deal to see, i have still been plodding away on it most days, just seems im floating about in different sections doing little bits. The hull below water just needs to be finnished with paint, bow thruster grills and to glue on the fake anodes and sonars. Ive done a fair bit on the hull above water, all holes have been drilled and cut including hawsers, the only hole to do is anchor.Much like the bilge keel, ive found the trim that was formerly the deck height a bit more difficult than anticipated, it is so thin in all directions but they are done, just the bow one to do.
It would be very easy to just paint the former deck line, also easy to paint the detailing for water escapes and tank in/outflows, but ive done it the hard way, in my mind im hoping it will give greater depth and realism to the model.

The deck water escapes and tank flows, i drilled out and cut to there shape, the tank flows are in line with the deck supports i put on earlier and i managed to drill and cut to a decent depth. Because these naturally lie close to the waterline, i prethought about how to tackle this as i dont want water coming in. The holes are sealed from the inside with resin, resin is also applied from the outside. ( havent tested yet)
The deck run offs, i will be sealing with clear plastic. Id love to have it all real, just cant afford water in about the electrics i just dont have the space for sealed tanks and water collectors.
Ill post pictures again at some point, just not a great deal to show that is different.

chris gillespie

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 11:54:33 pm »

Here is some photos, as ive said, ive jumped about a bit,

Stern view, with markings/ anode positions, bilge keels, main keel added prop shaft plumbed in and rudder,

Bow thruster and forward bulkhead in, first stage of deck support

deck support, first stage old deck height, all deck water escapes cut out + tank in and out

deck support, first stage old deck height, all deck water escapes cut out + tank in and out

2nd stage deck assembly, all the fiddly bits, the deck has been cut already

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:42 pm »

[/quote]
Hi Chris had a chat with one of club members regarding the Northwestern kit; it wasn’t a kit after all.
It was a scratch build that he had done for his grandson that lives in America.
Regards Brian

chris gillespie

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:07 pm »

Hi Chris had a chat with one of club members regarding the Northwestern kit; it wasn’t a kit after all.
It was a scratch build that he had done for his grandson that lives in America.
Regards Brian

Dont suppose he would like to post a picture? thanks for replying Brian  :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.