Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a FV Northwestern (Deadliest Catch)  (Read 71866 times)

chris gillespie

Re: Making a FV Northwestern (Deadliest Catch)
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »

More deck work, shame all the individual cuts and work will be hidden from the eye {-) it is strong and light exactly what i want for above waterline. I also placed on about 90 pots just to see what they looked like on.
the look is pretty good, they all fit well per real life, they will sit better once deck finnishing has been completed, the temporary deck had bows in etc, but ill post it up.
So i will be continuing with the bow deck next.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:42 am »

She is looking great, I bet you are chuffed with her so far. By the time you have covered the pots with netting I guess they will be quite a heavy top hamper, much as in the full size - especially when you find a source for the scale cod that no doubt you will be baiting up with going on your attention to detail so far  %)

Watched the episode the other night where it is all going pear shaped on the Cornelia Marie - very sad. I believe she is being missed out from the next series but the two brothers are crewing on the Wizard and Northwestern. Hopefully they will knock the youngest lad back on the straight and narrow.

Mike

chris gillespie

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2012, 11:17:18 am »

She is looking great, I bet you are chuffed with her so far. By the time you have covered the pots with netting I guess they will be quite a heavy top hamper, much as in the full size - especially when you find a source for the scale cod that no doubt you will be baiting up with going on your attention to detail so far  %)

Watched the episode the other night where it is all going pear shaped on the Cornelia Marie - very sad. I believe she is being missed out from the next series but the two brothers are crewing on the Wizard and Northwestern. Hopefully they will knock the youngest lad back on the straight and narrow.

Mike

Thanks mike
Iam on the whole very pleased, obviously im still along way away, as the hull isnt even finnished, but its mostly cosmetic. The pots are actually very light, even with netting, rope and boys in, they would literaly blow off quite easy.
They are for me the only 50/50 thing so far. I spent alot of hours in the beginning making them, they are not quite right as they are too thick and the bars are square. They look the part from a distance. However im having a love hate relationship with them, sometimes i think aye they will do, then others its nah they wont do. I have a plan for others but thought it be prudent to work on the boat.
I am also planning to make other boats from the show, so i have played with the idea of putting those pots on the North American for example.
Yes the Cornelia Marie wont be on the show , im sure she is still working though, just doesnt have king and oppie quotas, so wont appear on the show. Begs the question if the young Harris boys are comitted to there 25% share in the boat or the fame of deadliest catch, maybe the boys were given an offer they couldnt refuse.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:48 pm »

I suppose you could make a few out of suitably sized soft wire formed around a scale block to get the shape & left open at the end so you could slide the block out. You don't have to have a full compliment on the stern, after all once she is working they are all on the sea bed, so just a few would get the right effect ?

Mike

chris gillespie

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »

I suppose you could make a few out of suitably sized soft wire formed around a scale block to get the shape & left open at the end so you could slide the block out. You don't have to have a full compliment on the stern, after all once she is working they are all on the sea bed, so just a few would get the right effect ?
Mike

yeh pretty much, i use rebar tie wire quite often and have some in the shed, it would be perfect if i can get it to fix properly, its already naturally rusty so im not wanting to solder, im thinking glue epoxy maybe as it dries clear.
I havent even tried one, so itll be an experiment later on.
I would like the effect of having a full stack, also to be able to unload quickly, so what i thought was make 30 -50 then have some kind of frame where the 30-50 will be shown, inside the frame will be strong but hollow maybe has a hidden handle, even a weight on the bottom or magnets to keep in position. then have another few, full of crab etc for display on table. As im having a working crane it might be a nice touch to have a few that i can lift on. So i might actually end up with another 100, that would be fine as 250 is what she holds, but she stores alot in her tanks also, so they aint visible.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2012, 11:21:35 pm »

yeh pretty much, i use rebar tie wire quite often and have some in the shed, it would be perfect if i can get it to fix properly, its already naturally rusty so im not wanting to solder, im thinking glue epoxy maybe as it dries clear.
I havent even tried one, so itll be an experiment later on.
I would like the effect of having a full stack, also to be able to unload quickly, so what i thought was make 30 -50 then have some kind of frame where the 30-50 will be shown, inside the frame will be strong but hollow maybe has a hidden handle, even a weight on the bottom or magnets to keep in position. then have another few, full of crab etc for display on table. As im having a working crane it might be a nice touch to have a few that i can lift on. So i might actually end up with another 100, that would be fine as 250 is what she holds, but she stores alot in her tanks also, so they aint visible.

Whoa ! you have opened a Pandora's box there ! It just gets bigger and bigger ! If you did end up making them from wire the clear epoxy could well end up as shiny specks everywhere. I have used some kind of epoxy that was black years ago and for the life of me cannot remember it's name. Still as you say there is still a lot to do on the hull before you get to the tiddly bits, so time to think of more solutions and I might remember that black stuff

catengineman

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2012, 11:27:28 pm »

Devcon does a dark stuff which dries black and if you also add some very fine metal filings then it will rust to almost an invisible join

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2012, 07:30:53 am »

Devcon does a dark stuff which dries black and if you also add some very fine metal filings then it will rust to almost an invisible join

That's the stuff !! I 'liberated' some from the engineers stores just before I packed in the sea. Thanks for saving me some brain wracking sir (or is it racking ?)    :-))

Mike

chris gillespie

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2012, 05:08:50 pm »

Thanks guys

so how about clear devcon and some rusty fillings. I have devcon 2ton, this is the stuff i invisioned to use :-))

black in my opinion would be slightly better than solder, it would still stick out i would have thought....its a lot better than solder though.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »

Thanks guys

so how about clear devcon and some rusty fillings. I have devcon 2ton, this is the stuff i invisioned to use :-))

black in my opinion would be slightly better than solder, it would still stick out i would have thought....its a lot better than solder though.

If you have the Devcon already and can source the rusty fillings (friendly dentist ?)  :D why not try a little blob and leave it outdoors to see if it rusts ? I have a suspicion that most of the filings would be sealed waterproof by the devcon. Only one way to find out .... O0

Mike

chris gillespie

« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2012, 05:37:10 pm »

If you have the Devcon already and can source the rusty fillings (friendly dentist ?)  :D why not try a little blob and leave it outdoors to see if it rusts ? I have a suspicion that most of the filings would be sealed waterproof by the devcon. Only one way to find out .... O0

Mike

i could just paint the devcon, like ive done with the pots ive already made  :-)), but from you guys response it seems gluing is an acceptable way to do it.

im still working on the bow decks, and mid decks.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2012, 05:38:09 pm »

Let the iron filings lay in a tray with a drop of water for a few days and they will rust before they are used and can be used with any clear epoxy.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

chris gillespie

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2012, 12:33:00 pm »

Ive been busy working on the bow deck, although the smallest section of deck it is proving to be the most time consuming. It will have 2 removable sections and initially had a fair bit of head scratching as the best process going forward.
Im satisfied ive come to the best conclusion, not worth taking a picture of at the moment, but ill post a picture up soon before i start to fix down the permenant sections of deck.
The 2 removable sections allow great access to the bow section where the bow thruster is and the 6V battery will be, there will be a whole host of electrical work in there also.
A combination of Devcon 2ton and Gorilla glue has been used, with the cooler weather both have been very satisfactory in doing their job, I do give the newly glued work a few blasts of heat with a hair dryer. Gorilla glue has worked out very well for my framework, as with the expansion properties it pushes it all tight without really buckling and distorting, good clamps help also.
So iam hoping to have this fiddly section completed over the weekend.

chris gillespie

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2012, 04:30:36 pm »

seems strange having not updated for a whole week, im feeling guilty of neglect lol
Ive been very busy this last week, with work that pays the bills so havent done a stroke on the Northwestern. Ill hopefully get some stuff done this weekend, ill be busy all next week too.
just thought id let anyone that is interested know, its not gone cold

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »

Ive taken the plunge and decided to make my first model boat

Hey Chris
Some plunge mate - you're allowed to come up for air.
Plus it's been proven that busy people are much more likely to achieve their objectives.
Stay busy  O0

Dave

chris gillespie

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2012, 06:41:34 pm »

Hey Chris
Some plunge mate - you're allowed to come up for air.
Plus it's been proven that busy people are much more likely to achieve their objectives.
Stay busy  O0

Dave

Thanks Dave, i put in a lot of effort the last few months, as an amateur im probably a lot slower than others. I guess this is my air moment lol, it will be sailing by the summer %%

chris gillespie

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2012, 08:37:01 pm »

So here is more photos, some subtle changes  :-)

The hull detail is pretty much done, just hawsers to glue, and hole for anchor. The fake anodes are on as are the sonar's. Ive started putting internal rails along the deck walls.
The pin stripe lines are on to represent the steel plate joints on the bow particularly, ive also added in pencil the deck floors which are visible in a lot of photos. The idea is when i put the finnish paint on the lines will be faint but still visible hopefully adding real texture.

Detail on the starboard side is pretty much finnished, vertical pot protectors, and horizontal pot protector have been fixed. Im playing with the idea of a piece of metal between vertical protectors instead of paint.

The 3 piece moveable deck is cut and has one catch rail on, the fixed deck will have the other catch rail to keep it positioned. The forward moveable deck is an interesting project, and is time consuming the idea is this allows me full access to the bow, but also will support middle moveable deck, it will also have a small canteliever from the deck above, so cutting has to be good and measurements also ( yes there has been a bit of head scratching as i also need to work in the detail of bait fridge, door to galley etc.
Any feedback welcome

Deck work

Open plan deck with 3 moveable decks missing

Moveable decks

Port detailing

Starboard detailing

Starboatd bow detail and pin striping, bow thruster cover also done

Port bow detailing, fake sonar recievers visible also

Bow detailing, just anchor hole to do

stern view, with fake anodes

Full length view of starboard side

Full length view of port side

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisgillespie1/sets/72157628647156587/

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:28 am »

Still looking very, very nice ! Looking at the latest pics, it looks as though the top of the rudder tube must be pretty close to the water line, Hopefully this is just my imagination and feel free to chuck imaginary bricks at me for suggesting such a thing. Better the imaginary bricks now than the 'oh s-it ! much later  %%

regards

Mike

pls excuse the lots of 'looking' above  {:-{

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2012, 04:50:24 pm »

Nice work.  I'm jealous!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

chris gillespie

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2012, 06:58:04 pm »

Still looking very, very nice ! Looking at the latest pics, it looks as though the top of the rudder tube must be pretty close to the water line, Hopefully this is just my imagination and feel free to chuck imaginary bricks at me for suggesting such a thing. Better the imaginary bricks now than the 'oh s-it ! much later  %%

regards

Mike

pls excuse the lots of 'looking' above  {:-{

Yes Mike it is below the waterline at the moment, its actutally the full length of the tube i bought, as im trying to be as accurate as possible where the rudder is positioned to real life, its left me a bit short.
I need to fix an extension to the tube and the rudder itself, unless a good fill o grease would do  {-) :o

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2012, 08:42:35 am »

Ah that's a relief then ! no bricks incoming just now.  O0 from a selfish point of view it's reassuring my eyes are not as cr-p as I feared !

I don't think generous amounts of grease would stop water getting past a rotating rudder shaft somehow and adding an extension with the same I/D will be fiddly - sleeving maybe ? Anyway, with the modelling skills you are showing with your first build, Chris I am sure you will find a way round it  :-))

Mike

hopeitfloats

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2012, 09:00:12 am »

any more updates chris.

chris gillespie

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:47 pm »

any more updates chris.

thanks for the interest
ive not had a lot of free time, these last few weeks, i have this week coming off so plan to hit it hard, as ill be away from home for 5 weeks. So ill update more
this week as i go  :-))

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2012, 05:01:08 pm »

So ive had to re-register....never mind im sure others had to aswell. <:(

Still been very busy earning money far from home, i havent done as much as i would like. However !!!!!

seem to say it a lot but ive been doing a lot of work on the deck, its all fixed on and the hatches are nice and snug. Ive done some small bits to the wheelhouse, and before i bore through for the anchor hole, im making a small adjustment to the bow, basically 3/4mm shaving.
the moveable deck on the mezzanine is finnished, the bow deck is fixed permenantly

Ive had a frustrating time, i tried to seal up the scuppers with plastic which was fine, but looked crap so whipped them out tearing some finnishing work and paint in the process. The rubber strake i actually made out of silicone, was a good idea i thought, sadly i used the non paintable stuff gggrrrrrrrrrr.

So ive redone the strake with good stuff all pre plastic areas have been touched up, and other areas that i wasnt satisfied with sorted...
Ive finnished the exposed gunwhale strengthening and top rails, ive started work on the port work area (bait fridge, and bait prep area)
Im officially loving it again, at the start of the week it was close to getting a hammer at it...hahahha.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2012, 05:56:06 pm »

Im officially loving it again

That's good news Chris - looking forward to some new pics when you get time. I didn't know you could paint silicone.

Hey don't forget your avatar - just helps seeing people on threads elsewhere - guess I'm just visually orientated

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.