Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1315019 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2007, 08:01:07 pm »

Hi All,

Still here.....

Hopefully Bradders metric measurements are 'as-near-as dam-it' to imperial, in keeping with the 18 x 8 inch hull plan.
We spoke at length (argued) about rudders and feel that with ingenuity can be encouraged by allowing any rudder arrangement but restricting the total area to 4" square (25 Sqcm).
To encourage the RC car fraternity to 'have a go', standard 6 call battery sticks (7.2v) and 540 / Speed600 motors should be allowed.
Superstructure rule..... well wouldn't it be better for owner and public moral if the thing at least look like a boat or just funny? ..... A "flatty" doesn't look like anything and to enter any even, you should made to stick something silly on it, like a plastic decoy duck.....  ::)
There is of course no reason why the your superstructure shouldn't be interchangeable!  :o

Having just spoken to Wombat on the phone, we feel that there should could to 2 classes, restricted and unlimited.

Restrited class:
18" x 8" inch hull size and floor shape as per plan.
Single Motor up to 540 size ( gearing etc. allowed )
Up to 7.2 volts
SINGLE RUDDER BLADE TYPE up 4" Sq.
Must have a superstructure of some sort.

Unlimited Class:
As above except;
Any rudder arrangement up 4" Sq.
SINGLE MOTOR but any propeller arrangement you can invent.

..... and yes Puffers allowed! Bradders was having a dig at me for taking so long to finish Jan's Puffer.  :(

Here's Arrow5's Puffer Springer!

Martin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2007, 08:16:16 pm »

I take the point about the superstructure making the look of the thing - but again if we are looknig at a good beginners boat, should it be something to be insisted on, or should we allow a "flattie" to be acceptable. Looking at the two sheet rules (unless I have missed an additional set of rules) I think it is ambiguous in how it is read - is it the design of the deck and superstructure design optional in that one has to have a superstructure but that can it can be of any design, or is the presence of superstructure optional (i.e. a flattie is a design option).

If we follow the US rules the size of the prop is given - this would, by extension, give a useful limit on the size of the motor.

Voltage for the motors - here I disagree with the wording of the US rules - I would prefer 6V SLA or 7.2V NiCd/NiMh as the voltages vary. Maybe that is picky of me, but since a fully charged 6V SLA gives more than 6V

Point of information 4sq" is approx 25 sqcm.

TtW
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2007, 09:00:52 pm »

Thanks for posting the hackle-rising McPuffer pics Martin (thought you were on a break) very droll. Do I have to follow the motor installation you`ve provided  ;D  Wombie I`m sorry I didn't know that Imperial size props were`nt available in the UK, I`m not a boaty.  Motor and batteries are also a mystery. My other model has a 5hp two stroke motor. I have never had any problems with  converting litres to pints or miles to kilometres in Europe . Beginners are not all the product of new maths and 12 year olds who were never taught Imperial. Although it would be good to get a few more teenagers(of all ages) into modelling and this I think is the appeal of the Springers. You are doing a good job keep it up and keep it simple. Superstructures seen on the first pics on the RCGroups Springer thread show how simple or how complex they can be. They are a must, flatties are in the fast racers dept. Some humour in interpretation allowed to keep the class light-hearted, cartoon scale if you like. Dont forget the Barge pushing aspect, we might have to compete against other European countries, Netherlands and Germany come to mind.  R/C ducks are another class I think. I even proposed a Racing Duck event once...didnt happen.
..well can you land on this?

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2007, 09:17:12 pm »

Hi Arrow5,

Hey, no sweat - this has been a very civilised disagreement, no teeth have been swept up yet....you should try some of the Christian forums :o

I think that one has to accept that feet and inches and working in fractions is something that is alien to some - if you haven't been brought up with it it becomes very difficult visualise - bitter experieince tells me if the dimensions are in alien units it is very difficult to visualise what the lengths actually are and you cannot easily see when the errors creep in.

Wom

Bradders

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2007, 10:25:21 pm »

Blimey chaps, I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest...

I think the original design is fine and if we have plans available in both measurements then that can only be a good thing. I probably should have read up more on the American rules but to me this seems like a simple design that anyone can build from any type of wood and, if built within some simple guidelines, could possibly be used in some simple competitions with like minded souls.
I wanted to build one to take to the mayhem weekend along with a couple of other Mayhemers to play some water football or something similar, maybe having a 'Springer cup' up for grabs or similar.
After chatting with Martin we thought it would be good fun to have various deck options, I actually fancied building an springer Ark Royal, and yes I know this is not like a proper American springer but thought it would add a bit of fun and ingenuity.

Sorry if I have this all wrong and out of context, I'll stop interfeering and get back to checking for swearwords on the forum.
Bradders

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2007, 10:28:56 pm »

Great, but just don't expect me to accept the 25 hour day , 5 day week, 5 week month and 15 month year and all that modern stuff. The Luddites were right ! My steam powered type writing machine has converted this message into electrons  for your benefit. Voices through wires ...Pah !

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2007, 10:32:33 pm »

Hey Hey, I threatend to do a RO1/24  an SPRINGVINCIBLE first. >:(....BTW maybe I`m on the wrong thread, I`m talking about SPRINGERS not Spingers ( sounds like a swearword to me) ::)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2007, 10:48:46 pm »

Well, here is a little update.......

Outline for the side profile of the hull in botlh old and new money - differences between the two got down to about 1mm or so.

Wom

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2007, 12:48:28 am »

As an ex Brit that has built a couple of these Springers over in the US of A, may i make a few comments on the 'provisional' UK rules?

1/ Why change the existing rules, except for imperial to metric?..

2/ The metric hull measurement compared to the imperial hull is to within mm's, i dont think the difference is that noticable.

3/ A superstructure is good, but not essential. There is a Springer in the US that just has a 'golf green' as a 'top!. The fun is creating a superstructure that is to your liking and yet is recognisable.

4/ Motor should be whatever you have spare in your bits box. A Springer at speed acts like a submarine.. so a faster Springer can be a dissadvantage!. As long as you dont exceed the permitted voltage (see other comments) Gear reduction is allowed in the US, as long as the motor / gearbox etc, results in a single, non steerable 3 bladed prop.

5/ 1 1/2 inch prop or closest metric equvalent.. either is allowable

6/ As I've mentioned before here, a Springer, to bring it down to the waterline takes two 6v 4.5 ah SLA batteries.. and some additional ballast (mine needs an additional 10 oz!) to get one to sit at the waterline. Two 6v 4.5ah batts weighs in at 1.8kg / 3.6lb compared to less than a lb for a 7.2v batt pack.... so be prepared to add at least  3lb of lead if you go the 7.2v route!..
6v SLA's will also give you longer running times by the way.

7/ Rudders / korts have been discussed over on the US RC Groups site..

For those that havnt been there..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522762
.. there are some 46 pages on Springers!.

..and even though a kort is possible within the 4 sq inch rule / 25 Sq mm., its impracticle (sp)  because it ends up less than 3/4" / 19mm wide.. and is virtually ineffective.

8/ More than one rudder is allowable, however they should not exceed the 4 sq inch rule / 25 Sq mm (in total area) rule. As my Springer turns almost on itself with a 'standard' rudder, i think more than one rudder may actually be a disadvantage, except when going astern...

I hope my comments are taken as constructive.

I'm looking forwards to seeing some of your 'builds'!..

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2007, 01:06:52 am »

Just done some checking on UK prices for 6V 4.5Ah SLA's...

Maplins have them for under 6.00! (sorry, US keyboards dont have a pound sign 'key'!) and a suitable charger for under a tenner!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/SEODynamicPages/module.asp?ModNo=19363#prices

bigford

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2007, 02:09:14 am »

hey toes

leave it to the british to mess up a simple usa build  :P

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2007, 08:47:46 am »

hey toes

leave it to the british to mess up a simple usa build  :P

Having integrated US ans Swiss equipment don't go there.......Very different approaches to what the drawing says

Wom

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2007, 12:10:42 pm »

Toesupwa (what a strange handle.....)
Try this link for SLA's:
http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/lead-acid.html
The company is Welsh but I think they'll supply the English as well (I'm not sure about the USA, though).

Bigford
Brittania waves the rules, OK?

Wombat
Have you got your hull lines drawing in CAD format (eg DWG or DXF)? If so, any chance of a copy of the file?

FLJ (No relation to Mr ArmouredDinnerJacket)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2007, 12:22:37 pm »

Do they mention export to Northern Britain, better known as Scotland ?  :o(best biking roads in the country)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2007, 02:58:36 pm »

Toesupwa (what a strange handle.....)
Try this link for SLA's:
http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/lead-acid.html
The company is Welsh but I think they'll supply the English as well (I'm not sure about the USA, though).

You can get SLA's over that side of the pond CHEAPER than i can get them over here in the US of A!!!!

Toesup... and its not a strange handle from where i am sitting  ;)

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2007, 03:28:19 pm »

Toesup... and its not a strange handle from where i am sitting  ;)

No problem, on this forum you can call yourself more or less what you like, but what I think Mr Jacket was referring to is that here in the UK, 'Toes Up' usually means DEAD.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2007, 03:37:33 pm »

Coming originally from the UK, i can see where the confusion lies....  ;D , but i dont think i am quite dead yet..  :o

'toesup' comes from drinking too much ethanol based beverages and falling over backwards... 'Wa' is Washington State, where i was based when i moved over here

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2007, 07:12:25 pm »

Wombat
Have you got your hull lines drawing in CAD format (eg DWG or DXF)? If so, any chance of a copy of the file?

FLJ (No relation to Mr ArmouredDinnerJacket)

Sure have FLJ - anyone who wants a copy feel free to PM with an e-mail

Wom

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2007, 09:39:48 pm »

AS an update, before I get the Springer sectoin of the website going, there is a crude link on www.floatingwombat.me.uk to download the lines as a zip file with DWG, DXF and E2 files in it.

Wom

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2007, 10:42:54 pm »

Thanks, do you have it in Gaelic ? ;D   Meandering through Mayhem I came across www.tugboats.de a veritable goldmine of pictures of European prototypes suitable for "Springerisation". Modern, olden, colourfull, Dutch, German, British, Danish etc. No need to be USA style unless you want. You`ll be there a while making choices.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2007, 09:16:05 am »

Thanks, do you have it in Gaelic ?

No but I can do it in pink if you like

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2007, 11:20:46 am »

Thanks, do you have it in Gaelic ?

No but I can do it in pink if you like
OOOOh you are awful, but nope. Tartan ?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2007, 11:46:23 am »

Come on, chaps - you're drifting way off beam. You don't want to be Braddered, do you?
I see that many of the US models use geared motors. Is anyone planning to go down this route? I reckon even a crummy old 540 in a belt-drive unit would be better at running a 1.1/2in prop than a straight drive motor.
Waddya fink, guys?
(See, Arrow5 - these daft little boats are getting to me slowly...............Curse you, McSpringer!!)
FLJ

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2007, 12:08:23 pm »

Yep cheapo, simple gears or belts seem ok to me, optional in the Standard Class or in "Super Class" only?  I say one class, gears OK. Any other opinions ?  Just watch no smarty-pants come along with high nitro or nitrus oxide versions.  The curse will be lifted when two or more Springers hit the water at the same place, same time. :-*   Wish I hadnt used 24hr epoxy...see over-build ! Signed MacSpringer the kilt.

BB STE

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2007, 03:38:39 pm »

HI ALL
         AM IN THE MIDDLE OF BUILDING THE HULL NOW, LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE COMES UP WITH AT MAYHEM DO ,RIGHT BACK TO IT  ;D ;D ;D
                   CHEERS STEVE J.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.