Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1315041 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2007, 10:34:18 pm »

That's those 'desktop USB missiles' aren't they?
OK non lethal guns and armaments allowed  ::)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2007, 10:42:06 pm »

great ! now all i have to do is build a spinger ,fit it out and work out how to opperate one of these via rc.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2007, 05:07:06 am »

HI ARROW 5
                 I GOT MINE UP AND RUNNING AND TOOK IT TO BALNE ON SUNDAY , ENTRED IT IN SINGLE TOW CLEAR ROUND FIRST PLACE ! HOWS THAT.  ;D I DIDNT HAVE TIME TO MAKE THE TOP ,SO IT HAD AN OIL BARREL WITH THE CREW INSIDE
 IT HANDELS BRILL.
                        SEE YOU IN MAY CHEERS STEVE J.

Congratulations BB STE!..  ;D

I think that qualifies as TWO firsts.. First Springer in the UK on the water (under power.. Sorry Arrow).. and a first place first time out...

.... or is that three firsts...  :o

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2007, 07:50:36 am »

I`ll give it three !  ( curses to himself, damn model shops on every street corner down there. Still postman might have goodies for me this week).
..well can you land on this?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2007, 03:16:40 pm »

what ya gonna call; the boat, USS / MBMS Trident? (Model Boat Mayhem Springer)
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

BB STE

« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2007, 06:20:09 pm »

HI TOESUPWA
                    THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS, ALL THE WAY FROM SUNNY 8) CALIFORNIA (HOPFULLY) APPOLOGIES FOR THE STATE OF THE TUG, WORK STARTS SOON ON THE TOP!!
                         CHEERS STEVE J  ;D

Tugger

« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2007, 10:03:52 am »

BB Ste
What rules are we going to be using for springers around here. I personally think we make them as simple as possible . ie. single prop of a set size (38mm 3 blade), a single rudder of set size (4sq inches), no korts of any type, superstructure of set minimum (4"x4"). Max voltage of 7.2v, 540 3 or 5 pole motors, no gearing allowed, hull size ar per the american design.
If we keep the rules as simple as possible it minimizes loopholes. The more complex the rules the greater scope for interpretation. Also if they are simple and cheap to build it may help encourage novices to build them.
Having two classes of springer restricted and unrestricted also complicates the issue.
What does everyone think? ??? ??? ???

chingdevil

« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2007, 10:17:45 am »

Hi Tugger
I thought Martin had set simple rules earlier in this thread.

Restrited class:
18" x 8" inch hull size and floor shape as per plan.
Single Motor up to 540 size ( gearing etc. allowed )
Up to 7.2 volts
SINGLE RUDDER BLADE TYPE up 4" Sq.
Must have a superstructure of some sort.

Unlimited Class:
As above except;
Any rudder arrangement up 4" Sq.
SINGLE MOTOR but any propeller arrangement you can invent.

The other Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2007, 10:45:05 am »

I think the simpler mechanics the better myself (although 4"X4" superstructure is a bit minimilist, they have got to be crowd pleasers too).   Do we want a "super class" ?  It sort of goes against the concept of a boat for all.  The more expert have dozens of choices in other types of boats to show their skills.  The basic original VW idea.  Adding multi channels for functions such as water squirting, cannon firing, crew waving etc on the basic UK version could be an option for the more adventurist. If we`d wanted a better boat we wouldn`t have started with a Springer.  My 2groats worth.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2007, 03:42:57 pm »

What rules are we going to be using for springers around here. I personally think we make them as simple as possible . ie. single prop of a set size (38mm 3 blade), a single rudder of set size (4sq inches), no korts of any type, superstructure of set minimum (4"x4"). Max voltage of 7.2v, 540 3 or 5 pole motors, no gearing allowed, hull size ar per the american design.....
Having two classes of springer restricted and unrestricted also complicates the issue.

I thought we had covered this back in post 58.....  :'(

If you want a different set of rules to those already set out on the US site, then alter the rules... but it wont be a Springer any longer.

Imperial OR metric hull.... prop 1 1/2" or closest metric... Single rudder 4 sq inches (No Korts)...  any motor, but limited by voltage.. Gearing allowed..

Voltage, 6v SLA's are cheaper, heavier, and will give longer running times (can i hear an echo in here?)..

Could i suggest that all boats, either 6v or 7.2v powered must sit at the waterline as per plan. That should level the playing field for everyone..

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2007, 03:50:38 pm »

can we get a to know soon as to the rules as I have been the last few days building my belt drive, and if they are not now allowed then its bean a waist of time.. the only thing that I think we have  to watch for is that they are of scale appearance so they don't look like straight runners that where about a few years ago ,I think they called them coffins or some think like that.

Peter

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2007, 05:39:42 pm »

I agree with Toes on the waterline reg. I`m all for gearing or belt-drive if you have a choice. Direct is my route just for cheapness and simplicity but if I get more into it then I`d probably gear it just to see. Wont be a waste of time Peter, just get it done. I also agree that "flatties" should be discouraged but you dont have to go over the top as I did with the McPuffer. I just had time on my hands waitng of bits . The top-side is where some of the fun will come in and add to spectator appeal, make them all different except for the hull.

chingdevil

« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2007, 05:50:35 pm »

I have a build query regarding the Springer Tugs. These tugs sit really low in the water and in some cases ship water over the deck. Sitting this low will I get a problem with water coming up the rudder tube. I have seen an American plan for a Springer Limited Class and they talk about putting a stuffing box on top of the rudder tube. I really do  not want my tug emulating a sub.

Any thoughts on this.

The other Brian

kendalboatsman

« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2007, 05:58:01 pm »

I have a build query regarding the Springer Tugs. These tugs sit really low in the water and in some cases ship water over the deck. Sitting this low will I get a problem with water coming up the rudder tube. I have seen an American plan for a Springer Limited Class and they talk about putting a stuffing box on top of the rudder tube. I really do  not want my tug emulating a sub.

Any thoughts on this.

The other Brian

Hi Brian,

The top of my ruder tube is about an inch above teh water line but I have put an o ring on the underwater side of my rudder tube. I am also going to inject vaseline down it to slow the ingress of water.  As a final precaution I have built the rudder compartment into a reasonably water tight area.

Question for Toesupwa, I have two different drawings to build a springer and neither have a waterline marked on them. I have marked mine using the US photos as a guide. Subsequently it sits very low in the water. Where can I see some model drawings with the waterline on?

Clive :)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2007, 06:02:29 pm »

Sitting this low will I get a problem with water coming up the rudder tube.

Both of my Springers are as per the US plan and have the rudder tubes at or just above the waterline.. but only just. As yet i hav'nt had any water getting in to the hull, either through the rudder tube, Prop tube or over the coaming.
As long as your rudder post is a good fit in the tube and its well greased, you shouldnt have a problem

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2007, 06:07:02 pm »

Question for Toesupwa, I have two different drawings to build a springer and neither have a waterline marked on them. I have marked mine using the US photos as a guide. Subsequently it sits very low in the water. Where can I see some model drawings with the waterline on?

Try this link... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=1003278 (A PDF drawing)

Or here is my CAD Springer side view

chingdevil

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2007, 07:56:20 pm »

Guys

Thanks for the info, looks like I wll have to alter my rudder tube, she will not be getting wet this weekend. Clive the link towsupwa has posted is the one I have used there are quite a few good drawings and pictures there. I have also just joined that forum, no I am not deserting MAYHEM just want to see what other info people have on these tugs. :) :)

The other Brian

kendalboatsman

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2007, 08:05:29 pm »

This is the waterline on mine.  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=843999

Although I built it to these two drawings http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=843733 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=843734

Need to upload some pictures of mine. I am now ready to put the deck on this weekend.

I have got the following ballast:-

6v 4ah SLA (Main Drive)
2 off 6v 2ah (just for weight)
slab of lead (4x2 inches and 3/8 thick)
and a rechargeable flight pack for the radio gear. And still not near waterline. That will teach me to build it light in Balsa and fibreglass  ;D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2007, 08:15:59 pm »

Re: Motor rules.
Any Single motor you like - up to 540/550 / Speed 600.
Voltage - up to 7.2v
ANY gear / belt / magnetic drive you like!

You can fit steam if you wish,  jet turbines also allowed no IC or Diesel engines or Pulse Jets  ::)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

kendalboatsman

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2007, 08:40:50 pm »

Re: Motor rules.
Any Single motor you like - up to 540/550 / Speed 600.
Voltage - up to 7.2v
ANY gear / belt / magnetic drive you like!

You can fit steam if you wish,  jet turbines also allowed no IC or Diesel engines or Pulse Jets  ::)

Hi Martin,

What about Estes rocket motors   ;D

I was reading an article in a 1996 copy of model boats today, about someone who had done exactly that  ::)

Clive

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2007, 09:43:05 pm »

I have got the following ballast:-

6v 4ah SLA (Main Drive)
2 off 6v 2ah (just for weight)
slab of lead (4x2 inches and 3/8 thick)
and a rechargeable flight pack for the radio gear. And still not near waterline. That will teach me to build it light in Balsa and fibreglass  ;D

Erm... erm.. ermmm... Can i say "I told you so" now?...  :-*

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2007, 09:56:33 pm »

thats why I want to use a gear box so I can place a 6v 10ah battery dead centre f the boat and the motor at one end with servo and receiver and esc at the other.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2007, 12:53:21 am »

Here's the start of my Springer Tug, kindly prepared by the "Bradders machine"
It';s going to be a Fireboat Springer, based on Playmobil toy parts!   :-)

Edit:   Martin's Springer build here:   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/My_models/Springer/index.htm

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2007, 08:12:21 am »

Good start, any ideas about the top ?

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2007, 05:49:38 pm »

Here's mine in the style of a British Waterways Bantam tug......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.