Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1315023 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #325 on: June 02, 2007, 09:11:57 am »

Some alternate tops, go for it Hanna.  Last outing for "Sprinkler" fire-boat before she gets her own hull. (Loch Alvie was perfect yesterday)
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: June 02, 2007, 09:14:02 am »

Alternate tops

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: June 02, 2007, 09:16:59 am »

Perfect boating weather yesterday, MacPuffer wide open throttle on Loch Alvie.

chingdevil

« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2007, 11:42:07 am »

Arrow5

What motor and prop are you running in your MacPuffer? I notice she is not diving very much if at all with the throttle wide open.

The other Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: June 02, 2007, 01:08:37 pm »

Brian , it has a stock 540 from from God knows where,probably an old tyre pump from a skip. I bought a new one in Maplins the other day, comes with mount(NVG) and suppressors fitted. This will go into the fireboat hull. Prop is plastic 3 blade 35mm Graupner. Direct drive.  Trimmed aft-ish, maybe new motor will be more powerfull and diving will commence. Hope this help but dont forget you are asking a novice.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: June 02, 2007, 06:02:16 pm »

Hi all,

I was hoping to get my springer on the pond for tomorrow, but sadly opened a new box of epoxy to stick down the deck and various fittings. Left it to set during a late lunch, but when I went back to finish the odd bits etc. found I had opened a box of slow setting finishing resin.  >:(
Too many senior moments happening at the moment.
I now won't be able to finish working on it today.

I,ve used a motor from a Darter King, it's a 550 motor through a reduction box so plenty of power, and an integrall cooling fan.
All tugs should be over powered so they can push big boats around (chingdevil) I find using less throttle helps.
I also have a vastly over powered fun tug from a free plan. If I'm not towing with it, I just fit a much smaller prop, and can run all day with it.   ;D

Bob

As for the Darter King, wel that's going to get an Enya 40 fitted in it. If it falls to bits who cares.  ;)

chingdevil

« Reply #331 on: June 02, 2007, 07:07:20 pm »

Thanks Arrow5

The springer is my first build the puffer being still on the slipway, so I was interested in what other people were using as the power train in them. I am going to try a 380 in it with the same prop and see what happens, when I built the springer and first water tested it sat level in the water so perhaps a bit of aft trimming will slow the diving.

This is definitely "suck it and see"

The other Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: June 02, 2007, 10:01:40 pm »

Ching; I forgot to say the propshaft is at zero degrees, i.e. parallel to the deck.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2007, 06:22:31 am »

Ching; I forgot to say the propshaft is at zero degrees, i.e. parallel to the deck.

Am I right in thinking this would help prevent some Springer's tendancies to submarine?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2007, 06:36:41 am »

Yes that seems to be the opinion from an expert on the other place. Also a high bow, see photo on post #325 here on this thread, note the bow wave is almost level with deck. This was on a glass-like surface.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2007, 01:14:16 pm »

Hi all,

Re my previous posting 330

Well I got up at  5 . 45am Sunday morning, walked the dog and then started working on the springer again, determined to have it on the water on today (Sunday) for the club fun day.

I managed to finish the basic hull, but not the front pusher fittings or or deck fittings.
I made a quick shoe box type lid to keep the water out, and I will build the proper super structure on this.

Having read previous postings regarding ballast and all up weight, I was surprised that I had to lighten it up considerably. Perhaps I built it to sturdy.

Those that watched it run, all enjoyed its antics, as it tried to empty the pond at medium throttle settings. I did find however that at full throttle, it shipped no water because of the height of the bows!

With regards to raising the front to keep water out, how about a landing craft springer? No problems keeping the water out with a ramp sticking well up above deck level.
Just got to decide what type of top/tops to fit now.

Glad I built it, and yes it did rescue another boat first time out that had run out of volts. A simple beam on and push it side ways to the edge of the pond.

Bob  ;D

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: June 04, 2007, 02:36:34 pm »

Good idea the LCT with high "ramp".  A civvy version could be car ferry for more colourful versions.  I`ve added a row of tyres to try to contain bow-wave and for pushing when I get around to making a barge or two.  Spring for polo can project through the outer two.  Any photos of your outing ?

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: June 04, 2007, 02:56:28 pm »

Hi arrow5,

Sorry I'm a Luddite. So no photo's. It's a miracle I can even get on the forum, although I have mastered buying things from ebay.

I can send texts on my phone now though, so pictures could be next.

I intend to fit a timber across the bow which the pushers fix to, this will have a slope on the underside going up at the back. I hope it will deflect the bow wave back down, much like a spray strip.
Bob

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2007, 05:58:45 pm »

Luddite, me too, I`ve just learned how to resize pictures and my Christmas pressy of 3 years ago (pair of his`n hers mobile phones are still un-used ). I think the "rubbing strip/ deflector" should slope the other way i.e. like a ramp at roughly same angle as bottom of bow, just a guess. Suck it and see right enough.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2007, 07:21:23 pm »

Hi arrow5,

As the bow is a very thick section, I can screw the frontpiece on, until I establish if it should be square or slope in either direction.

Bob

Ed-Teach

« Reply #340 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03:12 am »

Ed

Have you got a black beard ?

Dougal99

That was so many years ago it's a fond memory... More salt & pepper now..

Progress has been brisk in the last few days (A holiday here) She's had her behind dunked in the wet stuff on the weekend.. Still afloat, so must have done something right (for once)..

Three others in our club building Springers so have been busy making the Goals for our Water Polo Match..  .. We even have our own small pool for displays.. Should be a Hoot... Photos when we arrange a match...

Have done an Alternate Superstructure to avoid scaring the kiddies... Called her Vader.. Twin Water Canons up front.. Not much more to do but install the 36 Rubber Fender Tyres.. Black of course..     

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #341 on: June 05, 2007, 10:16:08 am »

"Vader" world's first stealth Springer!

Is the top of one of those kits plastic bath boats?
How did you get the paint to stick?!?!?

Martin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #342 on: June 05, 2007, 10:57:47 am »

Black Bart in person , sinister, love it! More details on the goal-posts, sizes, ballasting, pic in water, any netting going in back etc etc. Be sure to video the premier match.

Ed-Teach

« Reply #343 on: June 05, 2007, 11:02:27 am »

"Vader" world's first stealth Springer!

Is the top of one of those kits plastic bath boats?
How did you get the paint to stick?!?!?

Martin.

Martin

Simple answer is yes.. Cheated with a Toot Toot.. Kids Toy. Bought Six when they were going cheap.. They make for simple superstructures on the Club Loan Boats..

Painting has been an experiment and finally I managed to get it to stick by First sanding with wet & dry emery paper (600 grade) & Coated it with an Automotive Spray Flexi Prime (Motospray Acrylic) for Bumpers & Other Auto Plastic Trim .. They call it an Adhesion Promoter.. Works fairly good on ABS, Polypropylene, Acrylic, Polycarbonate and most common plastics.. Not recommended for Vinyl..

Drys clear shiny and fairly quickly. Then within 20 minutes applied mist coating of Acrylic Auto Spray.. Let dry and sand using 1200 Wet & Dry & another two coats of Acrylic.. No need for a separate primer as this tends to cause problems.. I only use Matt colours as the first coat comes out as a gloss anyway..

Manufacturer of Flexi Prime in OZ is a company called Hichem Industries Pty Ltd.

http://www.hichem.com.au/hicheminfo/PIDS/Acrylic/FP_FLEXIPRIME_2.pdf

Arrow5

Goals are from standard Reticulation Piping set at 1m apart with 700mm at rear and 300mm at front.. Allows the springers to circle the goals like in Ice Hockey.. No Nets..

The Display Pool is about 8m x 4m x 300mm.. Height was set at 700mm so most springers can go under the bar.. Pool Noodle is adjustable upwards to compensate for depth.

Hole drilled in pipe to help sink and some internal fishing sinkers inside pipe for stability. Hope it all works out as planned. First indoor match expected in early August. We're working on some practice buoys for the open lake..

Have to finish the boats first..       

Cheers

Ed-Teach

chingdevil

« Reply #344 on: June 05, 2007, 12:34:05 pm »

Shall I make a set of goals for next year Martin?? ;D ;D ;D

The other Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #345 on: June 05, 2007, 01:12:39 pm »

Good idea Brian!

.... where can I geta Darth Vader head for my Springer?  ::)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: June 05, 2007, 01:47:53 pm »

Thanks Ed. I hope this evolves into a standard . Must try a set for Loch Insh in Sept., at least it`ll keep the low flying saeplanes away from the boats !

chingdevil

« Reply #347 on: June 05, 2007, 03:35:52 pm »

Martin

Won't Darth Vader get wet in your Springer?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

The other Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #348 on: June 05, 2007, 04:39:10 pm »

Everything gets wet in my Springer  >:(

I've striped it down again to change it from gear reduction to direct drive. As going forward was more of desire than a drive!  :-\
Although the motor survived the 4 hour drenching, surprisingly the motor pinion gear didn't! The whole surface of the gear was covered in rust.  :o The motor was working fine.... until I tried removing the pinion - without a 'gear puller'.  :-[ 
So I've got a new motor now and I'm rearranging the internal organs to for the new layout.

BTW. The deck of my Springer is made out of an old wardrobe> The varnish used seems to be made of new type of Teflon, neither Superglue, PVA, Silicon sealant, Expoxy or even paint will adhere to it unless I sand back to the wood underneath! I'm going to send some to NASA for analysis! ££££  ::)

Pictures later.

Martin.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2007, 02:32:06 am »

...Hi Guys...

Well here is the story so far...DAMEN "STANTUG SPRINGER" 1906...

The hull is complete...A nice coat of resin both inside & outside...All ready for a final rub down & Painting....

The motor & Running gear will go in Next...Then its building a Wheelhouse...All Ready For The Scottish Tug-In at Greenock on the 17th...

...Come & Have A Go If You Think Your Tug Enough...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.