Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1315053 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2007, 02:54:47 pm »

The Towboat Gallery is just that "Towboats". We mustn`t confuse the Springer with any old towboat, although "Little Toot" would be a cinche for a scale Springer-like towboat. As I said in an early post a Springer is a specific class of boat with dimensions, power, prop size all specified. The appealing aspect of the Springer is that from the waterline up you can make any superstructure you fancy. Towboats are the inspiration and a great source of shapes, I hope we dont fall into the trap of calling all pusher tugs Springers. Sorry to sound pedantic but we do have US readers and it could cause confusion.
..well can you land on this?

Ed-Teach

« Reply #401 on: June 20, 2007, 05:09:51 pm »

The Towboat Gallery is just that "Towboats". We mustn`t confuse the Springer with any old towboat, although "Little Toot" would be a cinche for a scale Springer-like towboat. As I said in an early post a Springer is a specific class of boat with dimensions, power, prop size all specified. The appealing aspect of the Springer is that from the waterline up you can make any superstructure you fancy. Towboats are the inspiration and a great source of shapes, I hope we dont fall into the trap of calling all pusher tugs Springers. Sorry to sound pedantic but we do have US readers and it could cause confusion.

Arrow5

Couldn't agree more.. Wouldn't want to get into that debate.. These Springers are a great Fun Boat and the rules are there to make it enjoyable for everyone.  Keeping it Fun is what it's all about.

Loved the Photos, especially seeing the Kids have a go. Next Generation Modellers getting a head start.. Keep it up, I say..

chingdevil

« Reply #402 on: June 20, 2007, 06:33:55 pm »

Springer Tugs are based on just the type of pusher tug that Toot is. Look at most truckable pusher tugs in the US and they basically have the same hull shape as a Springer. Americans call this type of boat a towboat
Springers are a class of boat designed to be easy to build and then equal in a competition, but the original design is based on an actual boat. How do the English get confused when the Americans do not?

I said I was building a pusher tug (springer shape) how is that confusing?

The other Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #403 on: June 20, 2007, 07:37:06 pm »

Ching, I think your post was perfectly phrased and correct in every way. My comment was directed at Martin`s reference to the excellent towboat site in which he referred to them as Springers. The US river barge-pushing type of craft isn't all that common in the UK and the Springer phenomena is just catching on so it is easy for confusion to set in, like all vacuum cleaners being called Hoovers. I must admit I went a wee bit daft when I put a Puffer top on mine but that was just to confuse the English even more. At least I have a couple more tops of more realistic shapes.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #404 on: June 20, 2007, 08:06:05 pm »

.. and just to confuse the issue..  :P

Scoot.. with a 2 1/4" prop and a KORT nozzle..

Its a Springer... honest Mister  :-*

chingdevil

« Reply #405 on: June 20, 2007, 08:12:29 pm »

Well Toesupa it looks and smells like a real Springer, but I am not so sure ;D ;D
Nice looking model, does the Kort nozzle make it more maneuverable than a springer with a standard rudder, only my one will turn virtually turn on itself.

The other Brian

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #406 on: June 20, 2007, 08:18:24 pm »

Well Toesupa it looks and smells like a real Springer, but I am not so sure ;D ;D
Nice looking model, does the Kort nozzle make it more maneuverable than a springer with a standard rudder, only my one will turn virtually turn on itself.

The other Brian

Well.. it started out as a Springer...  ;)

It seems more manouverable than Tigger (standard setup) is, and will turn in its own length.. If you have seen a Voith powered tractor tug doing pirouettes, its kinda like that... Oh, did i mention its 12v too..

Thanks for the complement too..   ;D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #407 on: June 20, 2007, 08:25:14 pm »

Its a Springer... honest Mister  :-*

WoW!!! A Gold Class compition Springer!  :o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #408 on: June 20, 2007, 08:53:10 pm »

Yup ! Gold Medal. 8)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #409 on: June 24, 2007, 04:08:50 pm »

It is very quiet in here....any more UK Springers yet ?    Knees going on "Maid o`Irn" today, (it`s raining).

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #410 on: June 24, 2007, 10:15:20 pm »

...Hi Arrow5...

What motor do you use in your Springers ? ...Or what motor would you recommend ? ...I am having problems with the Decaperm in Johnny,s boat so I am going to replace it....I can run on 6 or 12 volts...

Also what is the correct waterline on a Springer...I noticed that Johnny,s boat sat a bit higher in the water than Steve Jones,s boat...If you could give me the correct measurment from the Deckline down to the Waterline I could alter it if required...I have made Johhny,s boat with a rise on the deck of 12mm from stern to bow...

I laid up the first GRP Springer hull on Thursday night so I will find out this week how it went...

...All The Best...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #411 on: June 25, 2007, 06:06:39 am »

There were a few Springers at the Seaway Cup in San Francisco this weekend..

I understand Springers took 1st, 3rd AND 4th...

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #412 on: June 25, 2007, 06:15:49 am »

...Hi Arrow5...

What motor do you use in your Springers ? ...Or what motor would you recommend ? ....I can run on 6 or 12 volts...

Also what is the correct waterline on a Springer...I noticed that Johnny,s boat sat a bit higher in the water than Steve Jones,s boat...If you could give me the correct measurment from the Deckline down to the Waterline I could alter it if required...I have made Johhny,s boat with a rise on the deck of 12mm from stern to bow...

Any 6v motor will do.. I run 6v ex car motors in Tigger and Templeton. To keep it 'legal' and within the rules, Springers are limited to 6v - 7.2v.

The waterline should fall 30 - 35mm DOWN from the stern.... and be at the underside to bow joint at the front. You will find a Sprinder handles a little better to be slightly stern heavy compared to the waterline  ;)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #413 on: June 25, 2007, 11:55:47 am »

Thanks Toes nice pic....any silverware from SF event? ::)    Norry; Toes gave you the answers, MacPuffer picture at rest shows how she is rigged, slightly tail heavy, same with Maid but the stern does seem to rise a bit under power but no submarining tendencies. Power is 450 standard "can" from Maplins, not a bad deal at about £7 as it comes fully suppressed ( three thingies already soldered on) and a bent metal mount. They also carry a line of sealed LA batteries ( AM 6-4.5) 6v, 4.5Ah which are very suitable. I run a 35mm Graupner 3 blade plastic prop and on "Maid" a 40mm cut down to 35 seems to work OK. I also have the motors water cooled as they seemed very hot to me even with some cooling holes ( inside the cludge and wheelhouse). Glad the photo discs were OK, sorry about other stuff on them. Before you ask I`m NOT planning a Springer floating restuarant !!!!!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #414 on: June 25, 2007, 12:01:31 pm »

..and the tail rising on "Maid".  Loch Insh seaplane event is weekend 8th-9th Sept.  Hope we can get a rake of Springers as diversion.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #415 on: June 27, 2007, 04:28:20 am »

Thanks Toes nice pic....any silverware from SF event?

Not for team Toes...  :-[ although 4th wasnt bad considering it was Scoot's 2nd time in the water and i wasnt even planning on entering the event on Sunday  :-\

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #416 on: June 30, 2007, 02:47:29 pm »

Hi,

Anybody up for a game of football at the Warwick show to show off our Springers

see the post on the shows heading and if we get enough boats we could have a football game

ro88o

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #417 on: June 30, 2007, 03:15:08 pm »

Ro88o ; Yeah go for it Sassenachs, ye`ll need the practise for a Scotland/England international. I fitted the Madonna's today! Where are you Norry, I need support !!!!!!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #418 on: June 30, 2007, 03:23:56 pm »

..and a close-up. Weapons of mass destruction !

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #419 on: June 30, 2007, 10:48:25 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Check out E-Bay...Item number...180135360170...Newhaven Pusher Tug...

I thought at first this was the First Springer on E-Bay, But the dimensions are slightly larger...

Length 20"  X Width 8.5"

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #420 on: July 01, 2007, 07:02:43 am »

It sure is a pusher tug but not a Springer hull. Just shows us that there are UK protoypes to model. What news on your Springering norry, any more appeared in the west yet?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #421 on: July 01, 2007, 05:06:46 pm »

For those of you wondering how tight Scoot turns  ;D you might want to have a look at this..

http://media.putfile.com/Scoot-the-Springer

:o :o :o

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #422 on: July 01, 2007, 05:18:30 pm »

Turning nicely and the tug of war at the end is a great way to wash the deck!!! ;D ;D

Mark and Hannah.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #423 on: July 01, 2007, 06:21:56 pm »

Excellent video!
Must put mine up...
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #424 on: July 01, 2007, 10:20:04 pm »

[The Can) here that looks like its been built on Mobile Marines Gerhard hull

::)... nope, Scoot is CERTAINLY a Springer  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.