Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1311546 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #550 on: September 16, 2007, 03:12:17 pm »

Good close-up shot for details, now can we see the other side please ::)
..well can you land on this?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #551 on: September 17, 2007, 05:20:01 am »

A little warning to all you springer's sometimes they are top heavy :D

Do you know which tug that is Portside?...

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #552 on: September 17, 2007, 07:08:52 am »

Not got the foggy'st ,swimbo keeps finding photos of distressed boats and putting them as backgrounds on the pc  maybe she is trying to tell me something :)
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

vicmac

« Reply #553 on: September 17, 2007, 07:47:11 am »

Hi Arrow! Yeah, I am from Czech Republic (Silesia). And you? Where are you from? You asked me that is it first springer in my country, so I think it is. In this time is some people creating another ones (I heard about six people). Reason is that Springers is new category there. I am sending photo of my unfinished Springer number two alias Smit Barracuda.

Hi Cabadaj and all!

I am also form Czech rep. and have been finished my Springer in 6/2007. I am very happy with this. Look at my photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/silnicar/SpringerTug

best regards!

Viktor

djrobbo

« Reply #554 on: September 18, 2007, 11:17:55 pm »

hi guys ! After looking through all the info on mayhem forum i just started making one of these springy thingys ! Just wanted to know if there are any more of these in my area. I come from essex in the u.k. and belong to watt tyler model boat club. Dont really feel like playing solo soccer.  LOOKS LIKE REALLY GOOD FUN..............REGARDS TO ALL ........ESSEX BOY BOB!.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #555 on: September 19, 2007, 07:54:17 am »

Welcome to Springeritus Bob. Just build one and your clubmates will follow, guaranteed O0

djrobbo

« Reply #556 on: September 19, 2007, 02:08:21 pm »

Just a thought, i have seen some people say they were having a problem with water coming up the rudder tube because of the low water line. A system i have used before is nothing more than a piece of silicon fuel tube that is a snug fit roubd the rudder shaft and can be spread over the rudder tube thus ,instant water seal ! Maybe its been tried already ,but if it helps .             regards to all.......bob

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #557 on: September 19, 2007, 03:11:10 pm »

Good tip Bob...but are you building one yet ??????

chingdevil

« Reply #558 on: September 19, 2007, 03:37:52 pm »

Welcome to the springer madhouse Bob, whereabouts in Essex is the Watt Tyler Model Boat Club? I live in Chingford in London.
I always put an oiler tube on my prop shaft and then use semi  liquid grease in the tube, at the Mayhem weekend I had no problems with water creep up the tube just water coming over the bow and deck ;D ;D ;D

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #559 on: September 19, 2007, 05:25:12 pm »

I think he said rudder tube Ching, I just use lashings of Vaseline on top and bottom and in the rudder tube...no probs. Vaseline not so good in prop tube, too stiff when cold.

djrobbo

« Reply #560 on: September 19, 2007, 07:50:42 pm »

Hi guys. yes it was the rudder tube, works a treat.  Yes i am building a springer, only just started on it , got all the dimensions etc from the american site. Watt tyler boat club is situated behind the motor boat museum in watt tyler country park , pitsea, basildon, essex...the club has a webb site with how to find instructions....... happy boating guys....regards   bob !

chingdevil

« Reply #561 on: September 19, 2007, 08:20:27 pm »

Give me a break guys, I have only just got back from Las Vegas this cold weather is slowing my brain down. ;D ;D ;D ;D
You are right you did say rudder tube, I use vaseline and then put a seal on the top. The Duracell PP3 batteries that we have at work have a rubber seal over one terminal, perfect for a rudder tube seal. I will look the web site up, might see you there bob.

Brian

djrobbo

« Reply #562 on: September 19, 2007, 09:44:02 pm »

Look forward to seeing you..There most sundays.  Got to get the springer finished now or ill have to make it an ice breaker!!!!!!   Now theres a thought.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #563 on: September 20, 2007, 03:56:29 pm »

Now then me hearties,

having just started my springer, I was wondering...what is the consensus of opinion on the best motor to use?

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #564 on: September 20, 2007, 05:27:46 pm »

I dont know about "best" motor but in keeping with the cheap n cheerfull nature of the Springer Class boat I`d stick to a bog standard 540 available everywhere even Maplins. Any model boat shop should have or get one for you. You can experiment later. I`d advise a water cooling coil too. Whatcha building ? Any pics yet ?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #565 on: September 20, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

not much to show yet, bet here it is.

chingdevil

« Reply #566 on: September 20, 2007, 06:56:10 pm »

As arrow5 said there is no best motor, just keep it cheep.
I put a Johnson 540 in my first springer, could pull anything but it was so overpowered that on its own anything over half throttle and I could get water an inch deep on the deck. I have now converted it to a 385 yet to be tested, my new springer will also have a 385 in it. Both will be able to take a 540 if I need to put one in, the bolts holding the mount to the hull are the same dimension for both motors. I have 33mm props on both my springers but no water cooling.
I think  if you want to play football then a 540 is way over the top, unless you want to take the opponents and the ball through the net at the same time;D ;D ;D

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #567 on: September 20, 2007, 07:41:08 pm »

Yep everything Ching says plus consider the high bow and fore-deck shown in the Czech fellows build pics or a simpler high "wall" as seen on MacSpringer way back in the early posts. Any interesting ideas for the superstructure ?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #568 on: September 20, 2007, 08:48:05 pm »

Thanks guys,
Not thought about the superstructure yet - will see what 'springs' to mind through building the hull

;D

Cabadaj

« Reply #569 on: September 21, 2007, 06:16:46 am »

Hi all. I am sorry because I am now finishing my moving of boat. Last week in Prague was presented another Springer from Pavel Šťastný (=Happy), who uses Springler in TT. He finished at second place. I am so glad because at this websites I met boat from Victor. And I want to invite everybody (especially Victor) who Is from Czech area, becouse in Olomouc - Flora is large races (there will be at least three Springers)

I ll send photos then.

Cabadaj

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #570 on: September 21, 2007, 08:20:13 am »

That is interesting Cab, we all look forward to see the three(or more?) Springers from your part of the world. Make sure you fly the Czech Republic flag ! Happy sailing.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #571 on: September 24, 2007, 08:42:29 pm »

It is awful quite in here, building I suppose ::) to cheer you up there has been a couple of Springer clips of goings on in a Highland glen on You tube.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B99SxXNrCBc   MacMayhem on the Loch :laugh:

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #572 on: September 24, 2007, 09:25:50 pm »

Arrow5 - I've got to get me one of those smoke units!!!!  :o
What make & model is it please?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #573 on: September 24, 2007, 10:54:10 pm »

Martin, the smoke is pyrotechnic and generates heat, you will need a metal funnel. Available in various colours for model aircraft use. Best for boats is the slimmer 65 second burn in white.  "smoke screens" for battle scenes the 4 minute burn would be good if you have the space on the vessel. The "black" is rather purple-ish but if used with the orange could simulate a vessel on fire. Available from Robotbirds.com      http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=129_128

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #574 on: September 24, 2007, 11:07:31 pm »

How were you able to control its reverse motion ?    I find mine just goes around in circles

Excellent film though. Made me smile.    ;D

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.