Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Exeter (D89) Blue hull  (Read 4235 times)

Sir Albert

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Exeter (D89) Blue hull
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:37:47 pm »

Does anyone know what colour blue was used on the hull?  I have tried looking on the internet but cant find the answer.  Cheers in advance.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Exeter (D89) Blue hull
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:50:25 pm »

If it is the Persian Gulf blue you are talking about, why look around for a tri-and minic model, they produced most of their warships in this colour besides light grey, then you can have something to copare to.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:19:56 am »

Sorry mate I had a chat with Shipmate60 a little later and asked me where I was coming from in a nautical manner. Of course you where asking about antifoul colours, I do remember the blue, I cannot remember wether  it was a photo or for real, but it was a bright light blue, not far from cambridge blue. Shipmate60 seems to think it was only on Exeter for experimental reasons. The overall blue I was going on dissappeared in about 1965, before the build of the 42's so many apologises from me. But as an aside here is a pic of Southampton, how close she was due to a docking I do not know, but it does show what happens to the paint below the waterline.

greyman16

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:47:43 pm »

It was the first time the navy tried go faster paint and it was tried before the the Mod committed to a colour change. I believe it was used on the QE II first

pegleg

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:32:13 am »

I have some photos somewhere,taken in Portsmouth around 1983 (I think) that show the blue boot topping that was used- I think that is what you are asking about isn't it? I'll try and find them,scan and post somehow.
Cheers
Pegleg

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:41:42 pm »

As far as I know the entire hull was painted with a new compound paint in a lightish blue. The idea was not only for antifouling, but mainly to improve the 'slipperyness' of the hull to improve fuel consumption. I'm not aware of any other warship having this paint job. I think Exeter kept it all her life, but I wouldn't put money on that.

pegleg

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:40:46 pm »

Found the photo,hope it is of some use....

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:21:41 pm »

HMS Exeter got the blue colour after a refit in the mid-late 1980's. It was a new low friction/anti-fouling paint that was only available in blue at the time of the refit. All Royal Navy ships now use the same type of product but in black.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 05:12:03 pm »

Was '83 a hot hot summer?
In 25 years I can never remember topless matelots on the upper deck in UK
1983 is a bit earlier than 'Mid to Late' surely.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

pegleg

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 08:32:34 pm »

It must have been hot,though I can't remember to be honest! I can confirm it WAS 1983 and it was Portsmouth...that much I am sure.Hope that confirms shade of blue and its application.I have been photographing RN ships for years and this is the only 1 I recall that was blue. I have several shots showing a batch 3 type 42 with a pale grey boot top (Gloucester I think).

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »

RMAS Arrochar was painted the none slip antifoul paint in 1993, it was red for her, works by the paint gradually wearing away as vessel passes through water, supposed to keep it's original smooth surface at all times by this method.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:54 pm »

As has been said, Exeter was the only Type 42 to be painted with this colour anti foul. It was stated on the original Sirmar (before it was sold to the PSS guy) site  as part of Exter's description that the colour was turquoise.

I thought she served in the Falklands with it so that would make it at least early 82.

Sir Albert

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 06:32:55 pm »

As has been said, Exeter was the only Type 42 to be painted with this colour anti foul. It was stated on the original Sirmar (before it was sold to the PSS guy) site  as part of Exter's description that the colour was turquoise.

I thought she served in the Falklands with it so that would make it at least early 82.

It was blue during the Falklands, My brother-in-law served on her from 81-84, and it was blue all the time he served on her, after one of her later refits she reverted back to black.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.