Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: VS drive tug  (Read 21118 times)

catengineman

VS drive tug
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:05:50 pm »

So I have started the build of my twin VS drive tug, it will deviate from the kit slightly.

It is from the Graupner Parat kit and although I am using the hull and most of the superstructure I will deviate to change things to how I feel I want the vessel to look.
here are the first few images of the build along with reasons for MY choice of construction where I am open to ideas for some changes.
I had intended using one 12 volt battery to supply all the internal electrics but at this time there is a question regarding dropping the voltage down to 6 volt for the water pump and the other units I had intended to have installed

"A big thank you to Dave at Action for his assistance so far"

MikeA

Re: VS drive tug
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:36 pm »

what will the servo activated switches do?

catengineman

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:38:36 pm »

I built one of these tugs before, so the switches will give independent control of the drives from one supply

IF one unit is jammed then the tug will become erratic in control so by turning off one motor it is possible to recover the tug via the one remaining drive unit (tried and tested this so I know it works)

to find out which drive is causing erratic use is easy, if the Port drive is stuck then the other drive naturally turns the craft to Port and vise verso so you can then turn off that Port motor and use the Stbd one to bring the tug back to a safe haven of your choice.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:01:22 pm »

Interesting - never thought of that - those units could suck branches/crap into them and jamb.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:07:22 am »

Hello

I have some VS tugs and I never experienced a problem on one propeller requesting to use only the other one ...  Anyway it could be a good idea - that need one channel... with allready 4 needed for the two VS !!

Why you fill some part of the hull with a kind of red resin ?

Xtian 

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:32:46 am »

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:32:36 am »

Started it at last then Burt !!! :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 11:29:26 am »

It must be quite unnerving to cut such big holes in the bottom of a brand new hull!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 06:28:23 pm »

No, the drives seal those holes quite nicely.

I like the sea-chest intake for the pump Ian.

:-))

catengineman

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:12 pm »

Started it at last then Burt !!! :-))

Yes ! but cant remember how much lead was put into venture?
Was going to use one 12 volt battery but have come unstuck with dropping voltage to 6 volt for pumps and winches so have had to remove battery base and grind out some lead ingots because the weight will be different now and it was perfect in the bath for trim  <:(

Oh well such is life the next thing would be to kill myself so you get to have all my "toys"

IN YOUR DREAMS  :}

catengineman

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »

Interesting - never thought of that - those units could suck branches/'rubbish' into them and jamb.

I have sailed in some waters where there is a lot of weed like strings and the action of the VS running all the time even on zero thrust winds up those strings very quickly.
turning off the drive sometimes allows the obstruction to "drop" off but if it does not then you will have a little bit of a problem. (expensive one to boot)

catengineman

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:46:10 pm »

Hello

I have some VS tugs and I never experienced a problem on one propeller requesting to use only the other one ...  Anyway it could be a good idea - that need one channel... with allready 4 needed for the two VS !!

Why you fill some part of the hull with a kind of red resin ?

Xtian 

Your correct in saying it is resin, there are two reasons for my choice in using this
1 It fills and bonds ALL the penetrations in the bottom of the hull, when I first built this model (Venture [see capt jack's avatar]) I noticed that the drive could flex the ABS hull so I used the resin to beef up the strength.
2 It bonds the ballast lead to the hull so that it can not move, this type of tug is VERY lively and suffered a few hard knocks until operations were learnt (very different to that of std screws or even ASD's)

catengineman

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 04:47:27 pm »

It must be quite unnerving to cut such big holes in the bottom of a brand new hull!

In a word          YES
yes

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »

We didnt put any lead in the Venture as I recall, sat just right with the batteries ???

catengineman

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:32:34 pm »

was it two 12 volt or ?
I have a blank plank moment regarding what went in where?

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:54 pm »

Two 12's I think and that was just right from what I can remember. Sure we never put any lead in it

catengineman

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:41 pm »

Two 12 v are heavier than the single one I was going to use and have three ingots of lead in the centre which put it down to the perfect water line.
(thats with all the plastics and the other fittings piled up on top of the hull in about the right places.
(std test sail for me)

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 07:28:22 am »

Two 12 v are heavier than the single one I was going to use and have three ingots of lead in the centre which put it down to the perfect water line.
(thats with all the plastics and the other fittings piled up on top of the hull in about the right places.
(std test sail for me)

Oh, not a 9 volt battery, bit of string and throw in the lake 3 days after starting it then !!!!.  Anyway dont mess up the build of my new tug  :}

catengineman

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 10:35:55 am »

3 DAYS !!!!

I've had this since Christmas  :((

Hey that was then this is now ! did it all in a sort of professional way, blue tack all the abs parts in a sort of tugy shape then fit VS drives and the BIG 12 v battery. Tie a length of line to the hull and float it far enough away to see trim
pull it in and move stuff about a little then out to view (did not power up VS this time)

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »

Ah, memories !!.   Well hurry up and finish it so I can pay my bill !!!!!!!!!

tugmad

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 02:34:41 pm »

This was my take on a Parat kit when they first came out, she moved to the midlands where she was used a heck of a lot for towing and I think now she has moved abroad (not quite sure ) Poll could tell us more. pictures from Poll.

catengineman

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:09 pm »

Very nice build there sir.

I am also veering away from a direct build  though not of any particular tug in mind just so that I can have my own version of what I want

have spent the day putting the winches and gog eye together though again I am not fixed on using them in this vessel just yet there are a lot of changes to be made and even more now that I am altering the main drive motor battery size to a smaller capacity one   <:(

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 08:34:44 pm »

Very nice build there sir.

I am also veering away from a direct build  though not of any particular tug in mind just so that I can have my own version of what I want

have spent the day putting the winches and gog eye together though again I am not fixed on using them in this vessel just yet there are a lot of changes to be made and even more now that I am altering the main drive motor battery size to a smaller capacity one   <:(

Well get on with it !!!!!!

catengineman

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57:36 pm »

I'll send sgt major and or J P round to haunt you  :embarrassed:

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 08:20:11 am »

When you see them, give them my regards !!! :D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.