well i havent seem to got as much done today as i would have liked to as ive been busy else where, but Ill show you all what i have done.
Firstly installed the rudder and servo. Usually i do this early on like the motor but for some reason decided to do it at a later date dunno why. It occured to me theres not much point steaming ahead fitting lots of delicate details to the deck when ive got to turn it over on its back, lean on it with a black n decker and drill a dirty great hole! I checked the plans first get me lines right then started with a pilot hole i driled it 1.5mm. happy with that i usud a 4mm, then a 6mm, gradually increasing diameter to avoid tearing, splitting and splintering the hull. Next i took a small round file and opened up the hole to final diameter which was about 8mm. Pushed the rudder tube through and tightened down the locking nut. very simple.
Its not shown on the plan how or where the servo is suppose to be mounted in the end i decided to attach it in the middle of the hull at the stern. After some head scratching i cut off a peice of 1/4inch sqaure beam and drilled and screwed the servo front to the centre of it. wiggling the both attached parts under the deck i then moved the servo to the a central position on the hull bottom and the glued the beam to the bulkhead sides. I had some long screws left over from a old distmantled servo and used them to anchor the back of the servo to the hull bottom into blocks:
I adjused and tighted the tillar on the rudder post so one arm was 90deg to the rudder, I then set about trying to link the two parts. Originally i had bought from ebay or at least ordered 6 inch of m2 threaded stud. When it arrived i thought it seemed a little thicker than 2mm but with my vernier calliper battery gone flat i couldnt get a good measurement of what it was. A lot of pratting about with knuckles trying to get them to fit i chucked it in the box and bought a 2mm stainless steel rod with about 1/2 inch of m2 thread cut down at one end, only 20p. Fitted the m2 knuckles fine no problem. But the other end didnt have a thread on it, without the expense of buying a tap and dye set i did the method of what they do in a lot of rc i made a dog leg with the pliers:
It works better than it looks.
Also managed to get the aa turrets done a bit more, albeit not loads:
And made this horn out of an old paint brush and rubber off the end of a mechanical pencil: