Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the ALASKA  (Read 85775 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building the ALASKA
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 06:06:56 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200600974912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hi

£77 + £10 postage and it has an air reservoir. Just bought one for occasional use. Not used yet so I
can't actually recommend it ..........but is quiet, has the accesories and a reservoir - all in delivered for £87.

Regards Dave

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 08:32:56 pm »

O.K. you get to me, the ply will go and either oak or teak for the ribs
What helped was this article in the classic boat magazine from 1992
Ply would not do it justice.

http://www.peterfreebody.com/downloads/Classic_Boat_Issue50_1992.pdf

Good man! :-)) that's the point- you have got such a wonderful hull; you could use ply and it would work, but does it do your boat justice, er, no!

On practical terms I would go for oak- it's more contemporary for boats of Alaska's size and is far more readily available (read-££'s rather than £££'s!). That said, you can sometimes pick up really nice Teak side table etc in antiques shops that sell them for the value of the piece rather than it's materials.

I'm think if you look in the 'painting, finishing and care' section there are a couple of discussions on what's hot and what's not in the airbrush world. We got one of the Clarke airbrush kits (compressor not included) for touch up work on Gondola and we were pretty impressed with the quality considering the price.

Greg

Don't get heated...get steamed up!

broger

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 09:31:18 pm »

Thanks Dave
I don't need a compressor as I have a hydravain but I'd be pleased to hear how you get on with the sprayer.

Hi Greg
I can't believe thats only £9.00 ! :o

I'll keep them both in mind and will read the articles

cheers

Alan

broger

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 07:18:27 pm »

Finally got some time between GCSE & A level projects to finish the stern

I'm of on Thurday to take a sail in ALASKA down to the dry dock, so will get all the pictures and measurements I need to finish it.

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 01:39:37 pm »

Hi All
sorry I haven't published anything for a while but where off again now
First must send a picture of Alaska in front of the queen.
Broke the keel as the grain in the mahogany when across, have now replaced it with a down grain.
Rudder made and just bent up the rudder guard.
I'm just getting the courage to paint the hull !!
wish me luck
Alan
p.s. for some reason I'm still called BROGER instead of Kerrsy from the computer crash.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 11:42:10 am »

Hi Allan, looking great so far. Just curious as to whether you have received your Tiny Power engine and if so what you think of it? While it was still active I used to belong to to NASMA (North American Steam Modellers - yes I know New Zealand is not that close to Nth America but they let me in anyway) and several of the American members wrote very favourably about the Tiny Power engines so I was curious as to what you thought of it. They seem to be more in to full size boats and engines but they have been making models for many years and you dont get to do that by producing rubbish. Cheers, Ian.

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »

Hello Kiwimodeller
Yes I've had for a few monthe but have only milled to base so far
Having to use the mill at school is a pain when the kids are there becuse I can't leave it set up.
Summer holidays soon so can go in and mill to my heart content.
I found the quality very good
My only two gripes would be thet they want another £40 for the reversing plate, when I bought the reversing gear I assumed that would be part of it.  and the import duty was £56
on top of the £240 for the engine.
Did the NASMA publish any pictures of how to machine this engine?
Alan

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 10:31:20 am »

I dont recall any articles on building it, just a few photos of them in boats but I will climb up in to my garage attic tomorrow and see if I still have the newsletters. regards, Ian.

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 10:52:57 pm »

Thank you Ian
That would be great
You are gentleman
alan

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 09:08:16 pm »

Hi All
Well a lots happened since I last posted
Changed the engine, Changed the boiler, painted the hull etc.
The first change was the engine, the original idea of fitting a tiny power 2V-10M turned out to be much to big and out of scale so I've got a TVR that fittes the scale perfectly
I've also changed the boiler to a "Yarrow" design as per K.N. Harris. This allows me to make it look like the original on the outer casing and also allows me to put the funnel
in exactly the right place no matter where the boiler is. I would like to thank George Thomson for his invaluable and continuing help in this.
The hull has been filled and painted, Peter green the owner of Alaska gave a tine of the same paint she was painted with in the refit, It's international polyurethane and it's fantastic stuff
just brush it on and wait for a very smooth finish.
If only it had been that simple, first I applied the GRP resin to the inside of the hull, this was fine, then I applied to the outside, well it all parted like oil on water and had to rub the whole thing down
back to the wood. Tried a second time and the same thing happened I can only think that it may have been cleaning the outside down with white spirit and the residue remained in the wood.
any way got a standard wood primmer and bob's your uncle. 

It has 5 coats, just need to do the red water line and then the matt black anti foiling for the bottom. Peter has also very kindly donated this as well.
I'm not sure how you get a line on the boat to paint without putting it in a tank so I used the kitchen and a laser when the wife was out !!

Now this is where she gets the 6th coat of paint as I used the wrong pen to mark the line, it turned out to be indelable and permanent !!
I've skinned the engine and boiler area and will rib it ti to match the original hull

As for the engine it's made and runs nicely at 30 psi with a surprising amount of torque.
The boiler will be 6" long with 2.5" 5/16 tubes connecting the 2" top tube to the two 1" bottom mud tubes
Now 5/16 copper tube is about £3.50 a foot. 10Mtrs of micro bore 5/16 tube £18.00 from eBay. Thank you again George.
Got a jig for cutting the tubes as a pipe cutter flanged the ends over.

For those who noticed the golf clubs, yes I play golf and my handicap was 9 since taking up modelling i'm up to 13!!
I had quite a fright when I went to the Bristol show to buy the silver solder, I need 15 rods at a cost of £79.00, ouch
While walking round B&Q I found some copper brassing rods, I was going to brazze them with brass but thought i'd try these.
As I served my time a s a welder and sheet metal worker I still have the skills to weld.

It made a great weld with out and additional flux and I must confess , not a lot of cleaning.
So 4 rods for £3.48 Bargain.

I made a template for drilling the holes at 60 deg on the top tube.

I've cut the holes with an 8mm slot drill as it makes a neater hole.
As the hull has a nice coat of paint I thought I'd better treat her to a new stand

The holders are made from 8mm Aqua marine Acrylic, Just to simulate water !.
I'll let you know how I get on with the boiler. Shouldn't be so long next time as I don't play golf in the winter :}

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 09:22:02 pm »

I almost forgot to show you a few pictures of Alaska at the Thames Pagent

And of course someone had to give her majesty and family a lift home !!!

It ever runs on Auto Pilot.

logoman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 09:38:21 pm »

it's a beaut.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »

it's a beaut.

what a way to address our Soveriegn lady ????.................."It's a beaut"   %% %% %% %% {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 02:35:07 pm »

Was it on Auto Pilot or was Our Sovereign steering with her knee?
Regards,
Gerald.
PS what happened to the Alaska after?
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »

Alan,
Just a few tips on the Yarrow boiler construction, the question has been asked by John ( southsteyne2 ) on another thread on 'HOW TO '  fix in the tubes into the boiler.

Make a jig from a piece of flat plate with the holes marked out to match the ones in the top drum and the 2- bottom mud drums, fit the tubes into the top drum for soldering and put the jig on the other end of the tubes, remove the jig after soldering and repeat for the other side.
This keeps the tube all in line which can now be put into the bottom mud drums and soldered, a word of caution, don't let the weight of the tubes act on the top drum as when it's been heated becomes very soft and can be distorted by the weight of the tubes, solder in the end plates last.

This jig was made to hold 50 x 5/16" dia tubes per side on a large Yarrow boiler which on reflection I should have made the casing wider similar to the small boiler for better heating.

This small boiler with 25 x 5/16" tubes per side was made using the same jig.

I hope this is of help.

George.

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 10:47:28 am »

Thank you George
Some very usefull information
I think you have made a very good job of the boiler & the engine
I hope mine turns out as good.
regards
Alan

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »

Well I was going to put more on this blog but it seems no one wishes to comment on anything
I can,t believe no one is interested in copper brazing.
So goodby I,m not posting on a site that has no interest .

logoman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »

Well I was going to put more on this blog but it seems no one wishes to comment on anything
I can,t believe no one is interested in copper brazing.
So goodby I,m not posting on a site that has no interest .

I agree, this site is dead for live steam.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:51 pm »

You will find any people 'follow' threads, but few post replies.
Many, like myself do this, not because they are not interested, but because they do not wish to 'clog' the thread with extraneous posts which add nothing to the thread beside 'stroking the authors vanity'.  %)
I follow threads to learn  O0
And on occasion will express an opinion, when warranted.
I will start threads in the future when I have enough data and have time when 'life's' other commitments allow.
It's your call, but I did find your build of great interest, and if you want to 'throw in the towel' mid-thread then so be it.
As to 'kive steam', there is a very group of good core people who have contributed to the forum, and I thank them for their efforts to show us how its done. Live steam is both expensive and time consuming, which is all the more reason to thank those who do take the time to show us 'mere mortals' their boats and power plants.
Just my thoughts and ramblings  :-))
cheers
 vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 10:18:54 pm »

Hi There, I have only just found your thread and will now follow it closely, you are doing a fine job so far, please do not stop...
Regards,
Nick. :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 10:37:49 pm »

Oh kerrsy, please don't give up on us!  Your whole build is fascinating.  Personally I am looking forward to the hull build progressing as well as the steam plant.  As vnkiwi said, there are plenty of folk who read your posts without commenting - it doesn't mean they aren't interested, just that they haven't a specific contribution to make.  If we promise to chip in now and then, will you carry on?  Please?

Greg

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 11:13:01 pm »

Well what a shame I had to winge to get some attention, I don't need stroking just to show an interest and help me to make a better job of my first scratch build  model.
Good debate has great rewards, showing the build is just like writing a book a forum should have healthy debate with agreements and disagreements.

Alan

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »

Quite. I am about to build an African Queen to 1/10th scale, I am using a Kingston Mouldings fibreglass hull but the rest will be scratch built, no ply will be used, I have sheet mahogany , beech for beams and oak for planking. I will be interested in following the hull building process as my next project will be fully scratch built.
Best wishes,
Nick. :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2012, 01:04:23 am »

kerrsey......I have been following this thread since day 1 :o &  liked it to the extent I have viewed all of the content on the real Alaska WEB site

I understand your hull will finally be painted as the prototypical..........keep up the good work.....I will look forward to your build continuing & the steam component

Your comment that no one is interested in brazing is a little unfounded

Some of the work here on Mayhem is an inspiration to us all.......you know the open steam launch builds by [Mick] & [Jerry C] & some of the steam work by George [ooyah/2]

Here is my collection from Cup Alloys for my steam tubing & fittings.......I just haven't got there yet

PS...I also think the training session on the Cup Alloys WEB site is very helpful.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2012, 09:26:41 am »

That goes for me too. I have been watching and learning from the start. We all get the blues now and again and think nobody loves us. Building a steam project is a long drawn out process if you're doing it right which is, I believe, why there are not many of us doing it. Keep on going, "we're out out there". You're doing great.
Derek, hide the bling man, you'll get burgled. I only had one piece of wire and it's all gone. Got loads of flux left though!
Jerry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.