Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the ALASKA  (Read 85782 times)

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building the ALASKA
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 07:25:22 pm »

Well after due trial and tribulations I can definitely recommend the B&Q copper to copper brazing rods.
flowed a treat. Job Done.

Sorry guys web will not let me upload image goes through all the loading but no image

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 07:51:26 pm »

That's good to know Alan, thanks for going to the effort so we don't have to (no, you can't be known as Mr. Flash now!!)

Out of interest, how much has the entire amount of solder set you back for this boiler using the brazing rods?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:25 pm »

Hi Greg
About 6 rods one pack of four rods plus 2 from another cost £6.75.
That includes adding the small end to the next rod,

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2012, 04:02:39 pm »

Thanks Alan, there's no arguing with prices like that.

I don't know what experimentation you have done with them, but perhaps with a small piece you could solder onto copper, let it cool naturally and then try to remelt- it would be interesting to know what it sweats like with no flux and after it's oxidised- silver solder requires a lot more energy to unsweat than it requires to run in the first place.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2012, 12:24:30 am »

:-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2012, 02:13:40 am »

Thank you Martin for posting the picture

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2012, 09:47:01 pm »

Thanks so much George and others for the much wanted info on the yarrow boiler as I have searched far and wide with no real down to earth information on actually building it much appreciated :-))
John

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:16 am »

Will you be using the copper rod with flux to fix the bushes. Or will you be silver soldering them. Of course the silver has a lower melting point.

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »

I really admire Kerrsy skills on welding and would really like to see maybe a video to get some idea of the heat required as I would be terrified that the whole job would disintegrate after all the fabrication ,having said that I would have a go with some practice on scrap bits as it really looks a professional job :-))
John

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 12:30:33 pm »

I really admire Kerrsy skills on welding and would really like to see maybe a video to get some idea of the heat required as I would be terrified that the whole job would disintegrate after all the fabrication ,having said that I would have a go with some practice on scrap bits as it really looks a professional job :-))
John

Joihn,
It's a new learning curve for me as I have always used silver solder and never considered copper to copper joint.
Alan has said that it's no more difficult than Silver solder and a big burner as you would use to Silver solder a boiler is required.
In my next boiler I will be trying the copper to copper method as the price of S/solder is now prohibitive in cost due again to the E.U.'s dictum.
So don't be afraid have a go.
George.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 03:07:14 pm »

Intuitively I would think copper to copper would be better than silver because everything becomes as one, whereas with silver it's kind of like glueing it together but maybe at a molecular level? You've got some bottle though, I'll say that!! I'd have been on pins if I tried it. Seeing all those pipes and holes evokes memories of those guys spinning plates on sticks at the London Palladium.
Jerry.

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2012, 06:04:47 pm »

Gentlemen it's not that difficult, really. You can heat the copper to cheery red just as you would when you anneal it.
I'm not sure but copper melts somewhere around 1200C and the brazing rods around 750 so plenty of room for error.
Any way for £4.50 and a bit of scrap copper it's worth having a go. :-))

As for the fitting on the top I will experiment with brass brazing (with flux) and copper to see how the brass takes to it.
I can't believe in 2012 we are still  path finding !

Look up the Go System range and you will find the Copper rods, Ali Rods and All purpose

http://www.go-system.co.uk/diy-range.html

good luck
alan

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »

Hi There, have I missed something? What sort of flux do the copper to copper rods use, or are they pre fluxed?
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2012, 06:31:13 pm »

Gentlemen it's not that difficult, really. You can heat the copper to cheery red just as you would when you anneal it.
I'm not sure but copper melts somewhere around 1200C and the brazing rods around 750 so plenty of room for error.
Any way for £4.50 and a bit of scrap copper it's worth having a go. :-))

As for the fitting on the top I will experiment with brass brazing (with flux) and copper to see how the brass takes to it.
I can't believe in 2012 we are still  path finding !

Look up the Go System range and you will find the Copper rods, Ali Rods and All purpose

http://www.go-system.co.uk/diy-range.html

good luck
alan

Alan,
I am assuming that by saying the fitting on the top is the bushes to fit safety valve and sight glass.
Don't use brass as the threads which are cut into the brass can be compromised and become very week, a slight over tightening on the fittings can strip the thread.
Use only Cast  Gun metal or Phos bronze.

I don't think in this age that we are path finding, S/Solder was quite cheap at 2 pounds for a 1.5mm x 500 mm rod and was the norm for soldering boilers, copper rods were to my knowledge unavailable from our normal suppliers but with S/solder now nearly 8 pounds a rod we are forced to try alternatives and it's good to know that copper rods are available from the likes of B&Q. and your postings are very encouraging.

George. 

steamshed

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »

Hi All
Thinking back to my Refrigeration days, copper to copper joints were good with the standard rods , however brass to copper was always silver, brass didnt take very well to copper rods, on normal copper systems we use to test with OFN to around 400 psi which included brass to copper but as previously stated that joint was silver.
Mike

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2012, 06:59:23 pm »

I don't know enough about steam to make a comment, other than your work looks first class. I follow a lot of threads but refrain from making stupid comments unless I can add something constructive to the build. I just found your thread & will now follow it to its conclusion, so keep up the good work, more are watching than you might think, Mick B.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »

Kerrsy, just to prove the point, your thread has been read nearly 2800 times, I would have to say that is a whole lot of people interested in your build, keep it going, & thanks, Mick B.
Mick B.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2012, 07:33:31 pm »

Dont feel disheartened kerrsy if people dont reply too much. People read them. I have just recently got into steam and i hope one day i can build a boiler as awesome as that!! Until i know what im talking about ill shut up and learn.  :-))

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2012, 08:06:54 pm »

Thank you all for your comments and words of support.

Wow I've reached Canada, not far from Alaska !

Nick the rods come coated, no flux required.

Mick B. when I was a training instructor I used to tell my students that the only stupid question was the one you didn't ask.
all comments are valid unless they are rude or derogatory so please don't be put off commenting or asking questions that's what we are here for. [size=78%] [/size]

Yes your absolutely right George I will be using phosphor bronze although I could put a hellicoil insert in a brass one!
It will be interesting how that is brazed on but I think if all else fails I could afford one stick of silver solder as a proven alternative.

I'm having a bit of trouble since the web was upgraded in that I can't upload pictures using the upload section of the reply post.

So you will have to wait until this is fixed before I can post more pics

best wishes
Alan

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2012, 07:51:25 am »

I used solid copper turned and threaded bushes in my first boiler with no problems is this considered ok in other parts of the world ?as I know is ok in Aus model boiler rules
John

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2012, 03:30:11 pm »

It is nice to see you back posting Alan. If you are using silver solder for the first time, two things to watch for ( among others ) have your heat correct at all times, this only comes with practice, so practice first. The #2 thing is spotless clean ( goes for most jobs & often neglected ) You will be amazed how easy it is if you keep these in mind as you work & dont rush, you are supposed to be having fun ,remember.Finally yes we are not too far from Alaska, I have been to the panhandle 6 times photographing Grizzly bears when they come into the rivers for the salmon runs & managed to drive all 2,100 Km's in one go of 20 hours on one occasion. In one 3 hour stretch we never saw another vehicle or person on the road. ( approx 300Km ). Mick B.
Mick B.

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2012, 04:54:02 pm »

Hi Mick B
What a wonderful land it must be, I can't imagine driving for 3 hrs and not seeing any one!
Yes I've been using silver solder for about 50 years it's only the expense that leads me to look else ware, but It was nice of you post advice.
alan   

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2012, 04:57:08 pm »

John, good question, perhaps are more experienced boiler builders could comment?

alan

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2012, 08:59:24 pm »

Alan & John,
There is nothing in the blue book code of practice in building model boilers in the U.K. that says you must not use copper as boiler bushes nor does it say that you can't use brass..
It does say Quote, " During construction of a boiler , the screw threads in mounting bushes can be burnt/scorched. Ensure that screw threads and their mounts are of adequate depth to maintain strength " end quote.

I have had boilers of unknown construction or vintage presented to me for testing, one with brass bushes and one with copper bushes.
The brass one had so little thread left that the safety valve I think would have let go before the valve lifted.
I refused a test.
The copper one was similar due to excessive tightening and had P.T.FE. tape wrapped around the valve to try and get a seal.
To date I have never had any problem with bushes made from Gun metal or Phos bronze so on experience alone I would never use copper or brass.
If I was to use brass or copper I would solder them in and tap them after the heating process was completed to give a good depth and clean thread, hope that this answers your questions.

Here is a pic of a Yarrow boiler that I built, I post this as a test to see if the new forum page will allow me to post pics.

George.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2012, 09:00:29 pm »

I have not seen any boilers in my part of the world with copper bushes. But I know of no reason why they could not be used. The only point is copper isn't the best metal for holding a thread. I have found silver solder flux ( tenacity or silver flow) will work with bronze, brass & copper. Posted this before I had seen your post George. So modified it . sorry no photo.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.