Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trumpeter Seawolf RC kit from Ebay  (Read 5943 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Trumpeter Seawolf RC kit from Ebay
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »

Has anyone purchased one of these kits from China or the Trumpeter Kilo? If anyone has, what's the quality like and are they easy to assemble? It's not clear from the Ebay listing if there are instructions included or what other parts are needed to complete the model. It seems to need a receiver and battery and possibly a fail safe? Is the latter absolutely necessary? If I did purchase the kit is there any kind person here who could guide me through the electronic and wtc set up? I have several RC transmitters (for tank models) that I could use, with the right receiver and crystal, plus a battery charger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Sub-USS-SSN-21-Seawolf-Attack-Submarine-kit-set-Free-Rolling-water-pump-Set-/280827756600?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4162a38038

My other concern is the shape of the submarine's bow; it doesn't seem to be the right shape for the Seawolf; the model's bow doesn't appear to be bulbous enough and seems rather too elongated. Is there some way this can be corrected? I can't find a reliable plan of the seawolf profile to gauge the bow shape anywhere on Google.

Cheers
Simon

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Trumpeter Seawolf RC kit from Ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »

Hi Simon
long time no hear how are hope all is good.
It looks a good kit but based on the buy it now price inc vat and the rest it will vary between £222 and £234 depends on the they clasifie the postage.  I dont know if it is good value for money ask on the sub section ,there is a build of a russian kilo I think that was a plastic kit conversion. I have built this kit and it was a nie kit to build

John

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:41:30 pm »

Hello John,

Good to hear from you too after so long! All is well but I've been busy with my other modelling interests for the last couple of years (railways mainly). I've now got the submarine bug again but still can't find something reasonably inexpensive and not too complex. This kit seems quite good value but without instructions I'd be floored from the outset.

All the best
Simon  ok2

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »

Simon how do you know it has no instructions.

John

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:17 pm »

Fear not, old chap...the Seawolf is an easy boat to build. My Dragonfish was based on a chopped about Seawolf kit, the only problem you may find is getting the two halves of the hull and deck to fit together without unsightly gaps.

I used my own designed wtc and ballast system, I've got loads of Seawolf build stuff if you need any help. And yes, the kit does come with instructions!

Rich

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:05:31 am »

Cheers Rich! Is the kit complete though apart from say the receiver and battery?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:15 am »

You should have a failsafe fitted. Some receivers have built in failsafes these days, on all channels.

Bear in mind that as you seem concerned about accuracy, the Seawolf pumpjet features both pre and post swirl stators, and the prop isn't a scimitar type. The ballast pump is a peristaltic one, so the dive times will be a bit sluggish, although control of ballast volume will be very precise.

If you want authenticity look at the kit Caswell supply, as Dave Merriman corrected many of the flaws in this kit with new resin parts, including a completely new pumpjet assembly.

http://www.caswellplating.com/models/seawolf.html

The hull shape may be a bit different to the original, but then this is a cheap kit, and it gets very close. If you want a super accurate Seawolf you should look at HMK 1/72nd scale boat, but it's going to mean a lot more beer vouchers.

Davy1

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:41:00 pm »

You certainly get a lot of bits for your money with the ebay one but all a bit "unbranded" (spares available?).
I was very interested to see a brushless motor on the water side. Thats rather progressive. Anyone have experience of this?

David

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 04:18:45 pm »

In the pictures it looks like they've encapsulated the stator in resin or rubber to protect it from the wet, but what about the bearings and the magnets?

Norbert Bruggen is using inrunner brushless motors in the wet on his Deepflight Aviator. These look easier to waterproof than the outrunner type, as the can remains static, leaving the bearings at each end to be capped off from the water, which shouldn't be difficult. Plus the coils are in the right place to be perfectly cooled by surrounding H2O.

The problem with most inrunner brushless motors is that they rev too high for our uses, but it looks like Norbert has converted the motors from delta to star connection dropping the KV from over 2000 to about 800. Still a bit high for some models, but okay for faster boats or those with smaller props, or if you're running lower voltage perhaps.

Davy1

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 04:43:11 pm »

Yes, it is interesting that you think it is a bold move too.

I tried immersing a standard brushless outrunner in water for a few days. It still ran but the water had gone a bit red and contained "bits."

Even a cheap brushless motor shouldn't really be run in "sacrificial" mode, I think.

Many thanks,

David

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

BTW, polobeer, given the choice between a Kilo and a Seawolf, I'd go for the Kilo everytime. Examples I've seen sailing exhibit an agile boat, and looks a lot more fun to drive than Seawolf, which has a rather rakish looking hull and a fixed shroud doesn't help the turning radius either.

If you can hold out a bit longer, there is a superb 1/72nd scale Skipjack kit coming very soon from Moebius Models. That is a nice size boat, being large enough to get your fingers in, but small enough to fit in the boot of the average car, and the lines of the Skipjack are a cut above the Seawolf or the Kilo.

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:46:44 pm »

Thanks again Rich for your help; much appreciated. In the photo that you posted above there seem to be some very nice US subs in the background. If money was no object I'd like an earlier type sub than the Seawolf, something like a Sturgeon or Blueback. These would be my main choices as I like subs with fins on the sail. The Skipjack is quite nice and I have been thinking about the Caswell Revell Skipjack model but I would prefer something longer or more chunky. Trying to buy a used sub without breaking the bank is nigh on impossible it seems.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:46:19 pm »

Plenty of cheap S/H hulls kicking around, just not of the subjects you're looking for. Only a few days ago someone was punting a x-craft hull for £60, pretty cheap for a GRP hull.

Matt Thor did a nice Sturgeon and Dave Manley a nice Blueback, both subjects in 1/96th scale and now, sadly, both out of production. Neither were cheap kits, as they were hand laid epoxy glass. They're popular subjects with modellers Stateside, so tend to get snapped up fairly quick when they occasionally appear secondhand.

I believe you can get a Sturgeon via the Scale Shipyard, but I'm not sure on waiting times.

Matt was still doing 1/96th scale Permit class kits until fairly recently, but stopped owing to a move. HMK do a really nice big 1/72nd Permit kit.

Steven Neill did a larger Blueback which was a Vac-formed kit with a resin sail. Not sure if he still supplies those, but the construction was unorthodox, as the hull came in multiple sections which had to be joined together.

The Revell Skipjack is tiny. Great if you want a boat to punt around in a small pool or at shows, but on a big lake you'll lose it ten feet from the pondside! But like I said the 1//72nd kit is soon to be released.

Don't forget that MMB do a LA class, £150 for glass hull is very fair.

http://marksmodelbits.ieasysite.com/mmb_site_038.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.