been a while so heres an update.
First up i wanted some drivers and so i flicked threw ebay and managed to find these guys:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160776307985
I figured that the scale is about 1/10th of the boat and two of these vacuum formed racing drivers will do just the trick. Firstly i cut off the plastic edges then on one of them hacked off his arms!
I only need one driver of course so a little bit of work was required. After hacking off his arms i used my lighter to warm up and bend the plastic to follow the new pose of the co driver if you like. I then used the pieces of plastic that i cut off to fill in the gaps around the side and between the arms off the co driver, i reckoned matt red would do just fine for their suits. Ive also been painting the boat itself. I went in the end for metallic blue which i suppose i allways had the intention of doing anyway. I suck at painting so dont expect Leonardo Da Vinci brushwork or you will be disappointed:
the drivers are just positioned temporarily for the camera shot.
Ive also plumbed in water cooling for the esc:
the ESC is from giantcod and a budget one to say the least, forward only it is however pretty good. Being of oriental origin i went over kill on the amp rating just in case:http://www.giantcod.co.uk/80amp-boat-p-404814.html
The motor doesn't draw anywhere near that kind of current, for 13 quid though i cant complain. I dont even think it was necessary to watercool it but i did anyway simply because you never know. The water picks up from inside the nozzle by a small piece of brass pipe with a 45deg chamfered end. i tested the system once plumbed in and it makes a nice slow but affective trickle. Just the job
On the other hand however Ive got a problem.
the bush which the motor spindle goes through into the pump housing leaks. Only when the motor is turning though. I thought i had cured it buy putting a large diameter washer between the impeller and the bottom end plate of the pump housing, then packing it with grease. It hasn't worked so i need to do some rethinking, I have a 3.17mm wide motor axle which i will exchange for the standard shorter axle. With the motor spindle extended going through a snug fitting brass tube and the motor sitting higher I hope it will cure it. hopefully
oh by the way the steering nozzle works magic and straightened out the jet stream perfectly. I turned the nozzle starboard to counter the effects of the GP which i had previously anticipated to be a problem, I tested it in the domestic tank and the boat turned to starboard rather that port like it did in the youtube clip. I backed off the bit of right hand until it ran straight, funnily enough the steering nozzle was centre again. Therefore the the original problem of turning wasn't down to the motor torque but because the water jet was coming out at an angle.
So there you go