Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer  (Read 7988 times)

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
Springer
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:02:16 am »

Ken very kindly provided me with a wooden springer hull so I have been cracking on with a rebuild. First task was to do a couple of minor repairs to the hull, sand back the existing paint and get the primer sprayed. Whilst I was at it I decided to replace the brass propshaft with one of Mark's Model Bits excellent stainless steel shafts.

Whilst I would love to work in wood for medical reasons I cannot use any power tools. I don't have a workshop and cannot do too much sanding in the house so it is a lot easier for me to work in plastic. Here is the Springer thus far:

The superstructure is made from 2mm styrene sheet.
The windows will be painted on as I wanted to make the model as strong as possible to resist my grandson's attentions. At the moment I am working on the exhaust stack.

The springer will be powered by a 555 from Mark's Model Bits running on an MTronics 15 amp ESC and two 7.4v 5800mah LiPo packs in parallel (I like using LiPo's).

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Springer
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:39:05 am »

Looking good there Cuppa.
In my experience Springers and Grandsons are a bit dodgy if overpowered as
Grandsons like full throttle and springers don't  :(( :(( :((
I have had to adjust the stick travel so my Grandson does not nose dive the springer to the
bottom of the lake.
If he's been driving the Piranah he might want to drive the springer likewise.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:55:13 am »

Thanks Ned

He has indeed been driving the Piranha! It sounds a good idea to adjust the end points to suite his driving 'style' !

Cheers
          Jon

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:53:53 am »

Well done that man.   ;)

Show em how you made the hull so smooooth Jon.  I was impressed when I saw it and I'm sure everyone would love you to see what you've done.   :-))

regards

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:48:12 pm »

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words Ken. I am glad you approve of what I have done to the hull you made.

Sorry - i don't have any photos of the re-finishing of the hull.

What I did with the hull was to rub the existing finish back with 240 grit wet and dry used wet. When I was happy I had taken it back as far as I could I applied a coat of thinned epoxy resin to the hull then rubbed that down with 240 grit. Then I applied isopon 240 filler to any blemishes and sanded back with 240 grit followed by a rub down with 600 grit. After that a several light coats of filler primer followed by a coat of grey primer rubbing with 1200 grit between coats. The total time taken (excluding setting times for epoxy, filler and paint) is about 20 man (or cuppa!) hours. I work very slowly - hence the long time taken. Many years ago when I was in the motor industry a boss of mine got impatient with how long it was taking me to sort out a problem and started urging me to rush the job. My reply was 'I only work at two speeds and if you don't like this speed you will hate the other one'.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:46 pm »

Work at a speed thats comfortable for you.... less chance of ballsing it up.
My BB phantom has been 2 years in the building and I have only just fitted the prop and rudder tubes lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:02:11 pm »

Been doing some more work (pics to follow when I manage to remember where on earth I have put my camera's charger!).
Motor mount has been fitted, battery mounting plates and radio plate have been made.

At present I am working on the push knees. These are being made from 2mm styrene.

This is the most enjoyable build so far.

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 08:19:30 am »

Push knees are now done - they are bolted to the hull using 3mm stainless bolts and captive nuts glued into the knees. Wish i could find the charger for my camera............

Should be ready for final painting in the next couple of days.

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:18 am »

This is where the build is at now - no windows or deck detail as yet but the paint is on and it is ready for a test run (please excuse the poor photos - I am a lousy photographer!): The blooming on the red paint is something to do with the photo - it is not for real.

My grandson was adamant it must have a red superstructure so red it is. next stage is to make some stickers for the windows and add barge pole, winches, mast and lights etc.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 12:30:09 pm »

Looking good    :-)) :-))

ken

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 09:44:57 pm »

Ah well - been a couple of years since I last posted and a couple of years since I last looked at a model boat. Sometimes I cuss my health.

Got the Springer out today and i am determined to get it up and running again. It does not need a lot of work but i am fitting new radio gear and am going to order some gel cells to use instead of nimh - just to add some weight to get it to the correct waterline.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 10:10:35 am »

Hiya Cuppa,  Welcome back.  Hope you're feeling better and nice to see you boating again.

The springer should take a nice weighty battery Ok.  It takes a lot to sink one.   {-)

Cheers

Ken

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 02:26:39 pm »

Thanks Ken

It is good to hear from you. I hope you are well and up to your eyes in a model build right now!

I have ordered the bits and bobs for the springer and hope to make a start when they arrive. In the meantime i am changing the electrics and radio. Going 2.4ghz and re-doing the wiring.

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 09:55:02 pm »

Springer is now up and running again.

What i have done so far is to fit 2.4ghz futaba radio, fit two 6v 4.5ah gel cells, fit a better power switch and touch up some 'shelf rash' on the paint.

I want to join the Cwmbran model boat club and so will have to get hold of a fishing trolley and make some kind of transport trolley so i can safely take my gear on a bus (Sadly I longer have a driving licence - it was revoked on medical grounds so i have to bus it when i go out).

Also need some kind of launching frame because I am not supposed to lean over water and so placing the model on the water or recovering it by hand is a major no-no.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 11:13:21 am »

My goodness, you do have a few problems.

I no longer go to Cwmbran lake as it does have a high walkway. Even with straps I was having the lean over problem myself.  You could just throw the boat in with engine running   ....  it is a springer, after all,  and has been shown on YouTube doing this.  Ha ha

Best of luck on the bus idea. perhaps when you join, another member might live close to you etc...

All the best for now

Ken

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 11:05:18 am »

My goodness, you do have a few problems.

Hi Ken

They are really not problems as such - just challenges to be met and (hopefully) overcome.
At the moment i am trying to figure out a good way of simulating anti-slip surfaces on decks. I found an article on one of the military modeling websites that shows a really good anti slip coating effect achieved by spraying primer from a distance of 20 inches from the model and using a pressure of 40psi so that the paint is mostly set by the time it hits the surface. Am going to experiment on a piece of plastic sheet and see what happens. Just need some decent weather so I can get the airbrush out.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 11:14:03 am »

I throw very light sand over the wet paint which seems to work OK.   :}

Ken

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 11:34:17 am »

Thanks Ken

I will give that a try.

tattooed

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 08:31:25 pm »

hi cuppa pm me your address and i'll send you some self adhesive anti slip tape for you it's 4inches wide what length do you need
Andy
if it looks right and your happy with it then it is right

cuppa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 07:39:31 am »

Hi Andy

Thank you for your kind offer. i have sent you a pm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.