Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nirvana ll Perhaps the best "ready to sail" RC Yacht for new sailors & old  (Read 18723 times)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

Nope just tried again   the same site opens ok click on  a link on it and I.m back here

Got to be at your end? Sorry about that!

Getting more photos to share of the Regatta - The event location was as this picture shows, absolutely beautiful. The 2nd image is of the AMYA Nirvana Class Secretary's personal Nirvana "the Vulture". Crash as he is known in racing circles is a great friend to RC sailing and an avid competitor!  :-))
Enjoy
Boomer

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

Boomer
All the pictures have done a runner <:(
Saw the first lot but the second lot have
taken the first lot with them

Ned

They have appeared by magic now %%
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

Got to be at your end? Sorry about that!

Not Quite Boomer   Its my security there is something on the site  it does not like might well be just a  particular cookie .I had it tried in work by the IT guys they  got the first page same as me the n  a link but though the link opened   there was a Warning  about the page . Now believe me  this is not just an ordinary   Works IT . .
 I'm talking about  but  very high level . Though as said it may just be Suspicious  cookie albeit Harmless cookie
Not to worry
cheers

Quote moved outside letter
ken

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nirvana ll Perhaps the best "ready to sail" RC Yacht for new sailors & old
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 06:20:13 pm »

Here are some recent pictures of a weekend of sailing of one of the U.S. based Nirvana Sailing clubs. This one is  located in Southport, North Carolina (St. James Plantation). Breezy conditions are normal in this area, with near perfect coastal breezes are from 6 to 12 mph. This is an active club that currently sails only Nirvana's.

Since the Nirvana is currently out of production, their new members find their boats on EBay or other RC forums or listed on the AMYA's web site. We are hoping some point in the future, the owner's of the molds and rights to produce these terrific boats will bring them back!  :-))

Even thought these boat are in very short supply, the loyalty continues and those of that are fortunate enough to own one remain faithful.

Really terrific boats to sail. Unfortunate that they were not marketed on your side of of the pond <:(

Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 05:08:06 pm »

I have just received some very good news from a reliable source that Nirvana's are going back into production. The first shipment is tentatively scheduled to arrive in the U.S. in February 2014. As in the past they will be sold by sailrc.com and can be shipped worldwide.

I believe this is really great news for the industry. The Nirvana over the years became a staple in the market place particularly here in the United States. It was my first RC sailboat many years ago, and am happy to report I still have one in my fleet. I will post a notice here when I am able to confirm the new inventory is in the distribution warehouse and ready for sale.

For those of you on the other side of the pond not yet familiar with these boats, I'd suggest this boat would make a great first boat for anyone interested in getting into RC sailing or for any more advanced sailors that would enjoy sailing a well engineered and trouble free sailboat.  :-))

Boomer

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 05:46:29 pm »

Hopefully they might get to the U of K then.
There would be a market for another decent
Sail boat.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

The Nirvana North American Championships 2014, will be held from the 18th -20th July 2014 at the Seaside Pond, Oceanic Drive, St James Plantation, Southport, North Carolina
Entry forms with all details, including hotels and Sailing Instructions are available from:
pwilding_97@yahoo.com
Hotels fill up fast around here as we are a resort area.

The latest news on the release of the newest release of these fine boat is they a shipping the U. S. distributor on June 20. I am assuming that would by ship which would translate to arrival in August or Sept. by the time the shippment clears customs etc.
The arrival of these boats will be welcome news to many here in the States. I have no information on their status in other parts of the world. But sailrc.com will ship overseas once they have their inventory.
That is all I have for now.
Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

I have been advised that a container full of new Nirvana's is on the high seas heading for the United States. If this information is accurate then the North American distributor "sailrc.com" should have them for sale sometime in September 2014.  :-))

This is certainly good news for those that have been hoping these great boats would return. Even though they have been out of production for a year or so they continue to be sailed and raced by those of use fortunate enough to have one. Even though I have a dozen RC Yachts of different sizes and shapes, the Nirvana is still great fun to sail for me. 

When I get more definitive information I will post same here. Posted a couple of photos of my Nirvana just for fun. {-) Mine is a stock Nirvana ll with the exception of minor changes to the graphics and the addition of sailsetc.  rigging screws to the shrouds and back stay.
Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

Should anyone be interested, Nirvana's are available. I don't know if there are hobby shops in the UK or other parts of the world that  sell Nirvana's but you can get one from sailrc.com here in the U.S. Have no idea how much the shipping would be, but I am sure they'd check it out for anyone interested. I just read that there have been more than 12,000 Nirvana's sold in the U.S. since 2004.

I copied the information below from an article posted on the sailrc.com web site on the "sea trial" report on the latest version of the Nirvana. The article was written by Steve Lang - owner of Sailrc and accomplished sailor.

I did the very first “see trial” with a sample Nirvana back in 2003.  I was sailing on a reservoir in Colorado, and for a trial horse, I used a race-ready CR-914.  Today, the Nirvana is well known for her authentic scale looks, performance, simplicity, and durability.

I have had the experience of racing the Nirvana a lot over the years, and our company has handled the sale and service of thousands of these boats. That means that we have more experience with this boat than anyone in the world.

Since we had worked at length with the manufacturer to “fix” a few things, my test sail of a pre-production Nirvana was very nit-picky!  After I was done, I went back on Skype with the production company in China, to tweak a few of the new features even more.

If you have owned and sailed a Nirvana before, you will recognize the little changes we made, however some of them are not even noticeable by eye.  For instance – we had a number of parts on earlier Nirvanas that would break in rough sailing conditions, or after prolonged sun exposure.  Most notably were the fittings that make up the gooseneck and the boom vang.  Even though new fittings for these areas are designed, production chose to produce these boats with the old design parts made with stronger materials.  So visually, nothing new.  Time well tell whether these new parts hold up to the rigors.

Sheet Friction – Likewise, SailRC proposed a new routing of the sheets for the 2014 boats aimed at cutting down the friction in the system.  The complaint has been that the sail servo was not strong enough to handle the sails in windy conditions.

So one way to help out would be to make the routing, turning blocks and other turning points produce less friction.  In the end (one bite at a time), production only removing the sheaves from the two side-deck turning blocks and replacing the sheet line with a better, more flexible string.  This has made a big difference.

Of course the other issue (which many did not recognize on older boats) was the spring-loaded hub on the sail servo arm.  So when many thought the servo wasn’t strong enough to pull in the sheets, the real problem was that the “servo-saver” springs in the arm would give and not let the servo fully trim the sails.  The new boats have the spring-loaded hub disabled (glued in place) to make sure the full power of the servo is transmitted to the arm and the sheets.

Of course, production also double-checked the specifications on the sail servo and made sure the servo manufacturer was QC'ing their production.  The result is an improvement for sure.  But we are already looking forward to a complete change to the sheet routing to makes things even better.

Frozen Rudders – How many calls did we get about frozen rudders?  Hundreds!!!  No matter how many times we warned folks to keep the rudder shaft well lubricated, some didn’t get the word.  And one day the rudder shaft would freeze into the shaft tube and “Houston, we have a problem!”

We solved this issue by replacing the metal tube in the boat with a hard plastic tube.  So there is no more metal-to-metal contact to cause the corrosion that froze the old parts together.  We do have a limited supply of the new plastic tubes in stock and we are writing upgrade instructions shortly for those that want the new shaft log.

Wire rigging is gone.  Leader wire is a choice for some larger models even though many of the new strings (no stretch, high tensile strength) are a much better choice, in my book.  So all new Nirvanas have line rigging all around, instead of the wire shrouds, and wire forestay, that were such a nuisance.

Boom Sliders – One thing that is really noticeable is the new fittings on the booms.  Many of you that sail Nirvanas know that the holes through the booms for the sheets to pass, would soon cut their way through the sheets and that was that.  So SailRC encouraged a change to simpler system of boom fittings that are easier to use.

The production version of these boom “sliders”, is a little bulkier than I had hoped, but boy do they ever work well.  The “O rings” are still used, but only to insure that the hard plastic fittings stay put when you have set them in position.  Bottom line – a much better system for mounting and adjusting sails, and the new fittings will fit older booms too.  We have had some problems come out in the first couple of weeks of sailing.  Some have reported that these fitting slip if the wind is up.  I have witnessed this first hand and know that somehow, the manufactured booms must have an outside diameter (OD) just a hair too small.  But testing with a ring of clear plastic tubing (3/8” ID) is a good replacement for the “O” rings.

New Box – First we have a brand new box – at least the outside.  Now instead of the difficulty in getting the boat, in its protective foam shell out of the end of the box, the box now opens on the long side.  As soon as you lift off the top of the box, you will find posted on the foam interior specific step-by-step instructions on how to unload the parts from the box, and assemble the boat the first time.  Yes, there is still a manual inside that explains with pictures how the boat goes together, but these new instructions bridge the gap and get you from box to initial layout of parts.

The boat still has the signature “letter” stickies to help you rigging the boat the first time (hook A into hole A, etc.)  And, unlike before, the boat is free of advertising stickers – simply the name of the boat on each side and a smaller one on deck, and the newly adopted Class insignia on the mainsail.

So let’s go sailing! As soon as you have the boat rigged and batteries installed, you are ready to go.  Nirvana is so far ahead of other boats on the first assembly, it isn’t funny.  No knots to tie, and only one screw that needs a Phillips head screwdriver. Simple, simple, simple.  The only boat that I know of that is easier (and not by much) is the RC Laser – hmmm, same designer for each boat!!

From here on, the boat performs as it did before.  Very agile (turns on a dime), and easy to control.  With the new boom fittings, the sails are easier to adjust to different wind conditions.  The electronics are stable and have plenty of range so you can almost sail the boat out of sight before you loose signal.

I happened to be sailing around with some Dragon Force and Micro Magic boats.  Both are great racing boats but neither could keep up with the Nirvana, especially when the wind picked up.  But that is not totally fair, properly designed boats with different length waterlines, sailed by equally qualified skippers – the bigger boat will prevail.

The bottom line is what Nirvana has been known for her entire existence.  A quality boat at a great price – one that is super simple to assemble, and sail, and were one-design heritage demands that a brand new boat has the same boat speed as older models – that’s the rule.  That means old boats hold their price very well, and parts are always available and interchangeable.  No question this is one of the best club boats in the country and the only one in it’s size range that comes with qualified, experienced service folks at SailRC.

Last thing, Great Looks – Many owners put Nirvana on display at home. That’s because she really looks like a boat.  Complete with cockpit seat boards, toe rails, porthole and hatch decals, and a racer-cruiser style cabin deck layout – this is a cool boat to show off in your home.
Written 10/20/2014 by Steve Lang.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 04:52:17 pm »

Some have asked about sailing a Nirvana in sea water: Here is a response from the North American Distributor Sailrc.com
"We (SailRC) have always contended that Nirvana is as suitable in salt water as any boat in her price range, if not even more suitable.  “Price range” has to do with the quality of the “stainless” steel used in this boat, and some of the other corrosive metals like the rudder post.  The composite construction of the hull/deck, keel, rudder, spars and sails is as good as boats three times the expense.

Electronics do get wet in most sailboats, even very expensive ones – so you need to adopt procedures for maintenance that maintain electronics that are prone to getting wet or working in a damp atmosphere.

Getting wet with salt water and fresh water causes the same immediate issues.  The difference with salt water is that when the water dries the salt remains to attract more moisture.  So sailing in salt water adds the extra maintenance step to rinse salt water off boat (and electronics if they have gotten wet) before drying.

I carry a small fresh water spray bottle to wash salt water off the electronics if they get wet while sailing.  Then after preliminary drying, I always stick a hairdryer (on low) in the electronics compartment for 15-20 minutes to completely heat and dry all the electrical fittings and servos.

Another trick for maintaining electronics is to drown them in Corrosion X at least once a season to keep a protective barrier on your working electrics.  Do NOT use WD 40 or similar.  Corrosion X is the product and it has recently been sold by Home Depot.

The rudder post on the earlier Nirvana's is a problem, especially around salt water, because of the dissimilar metals used.  The rudder post is a mild steel, and the shaft log is brass.  If not lubricated faithfully, the post will freeze into the shaft log (tube), requiring considerable effort to free and repair.  I make sure to remove the rudder every day or two when sailing in salt water to make sure the lubricant I use is evident and doing the job. ALWAYS lubricate before storing for more than a week!  Any light grease is good, I use Vaseline.

(*We solved this issue by replacing the metal tube in the boat with a hard plastic tube.  So there is no more metal-to-metal contact to cause the corrosion that froze the old parts together.  We do have a limited supply of the new plastic tubes in stock and we are writing upgrade instructions shortly for those that want the new shaft log.)

The other metal parts on the boat (screws, wires, etc) may “bleed” a little if not cleaned and dried after sailing, but that is more aesthetic damage than physical.

Bottom line, you can safely enjoy your boat in salt water – it just takes a little care afterwards (as with all boats) to keep certain parts operational."

This entry was posted in --> Tips & Tricks, Nirvana by Steve Lang.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 05:21:50 pm »

2016 Nirvana Nationals Regatta Report

Hurricane Matthew forced the rescheduling of the Nirvana Nationals from the original dates, but 11 skippers were able to make the rescheduled event, travelling to coastal North Carolina from as far away as Florida.
The event was hosted by the St James Plantation Model Yacht club on the Seaside Pond in Southport, NC, which usually has good to strong winds, but on Saturday morning the breezes were so light that, even after a delay, only three races were completed by lunchtime. The westerlies then picked up and built to good breezes, which continued on Sunday, for a total of 22 races.
Bob Stephens of the Sun City MYC was a clear winner, scoring 11 victories in the 22 races, excelling in the light air and maintaining excellent positions and wins as the breeze came up.
Courses on both days were two lap windward-leeward with offset buoys at both marks. SJPMYC rotated in first and second Race Officers for each of the four race sessions to keep scoring eyes fresh.

Summary of the 2016 Nirvana Nationals

Class: Nirvana
Dates: October 29-30
Host Club: St James Plantation Model Yacht Club
Entries: 11
Winds: Light to moderate
Races completed: 22
Scoring system: Low point
Regatta Committee: Peter Wilding, Race Director. RO and scorekeeping: Peter Rubin, John Eckman, Harry Thranhardt, Art Solomon, Don Cunningham, Linda Eyler, Lynda McKinley, Laura Miller, Judy Rubin. Meals: Kim Wilding, Joe Meissner, Dee Thomsen.

2016 Nirvana Nationals Results

Place   Skipper   Sail#   Points
1   Bob Stephens   55   35
2   Peter Wilding   34   63
3   Dan Deets   108   65
4   Garrett Van Koughnett   150   91
5   Jim Lillagore   3   97   
6   Karl Thomsen   144   97
7   John Harrington   96   98
8   Rob McKinley   149   124
9   David Harrington   97   131
10   Dick Greene   36   166
11   Steve Anderman   250   176

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 06:07:06 pm »

Pictures from the 2016 Nationals

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2016, 06:07:40 pm »

You have to admit these guys are a handsome group to be sure. All reported a great time. Normally this event draws a much larger group but the effects of the recent foul weather kept the event at only 11 participants. If nature is willing next year we can expect more skippers to turn out.
Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 06:41:33 pm »

At the time of this posting, the national distributor of the Nirvana has retired. The company is for sale from what I am told. There is an interested party but no deal has been announced at this time. Nirvana fans are hoping some one will take over but as of now the Nirvana is on hiatus. When any solid news is available I will post it here. It is always sad when good things end. Selling rc sailboats is a challenging way to make a living for sure.  <:(
Time will tell if these very good boats find their way back into production.  :-)) The owners here in the U.S. are still enjoying their boats and competing, so I am confident these boats will continue to populate the lakes and ponds of world for years to come.
Boomer

Wind-chaser

• Full Mayhemer

Any updates on these boats?

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

Just an update for anyone following this thread. Sadly it would seem these time tested yachts are gone. No one has purchased the distribution rights or expressed serious interest in bringing them back. All good things come to an end. The good news is the boats are still being raced in the United States by the loyal owners interested in club racing.
 These boats are so durable it is unclear how long they will last. Parts are very hard to find and when the sails need replacement owners make their own or contact one of the custom sail makers that has the patterns. Mine is going on ten years and sails as well as the day I got her. I have a nice fleet of sailboats that I make adjustments to now an then to keep interested.

Be well and good sailing!
 Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

Recently, a fellow Nirvana owner applied his 3D computer skills and created some replacement parts for some of the Nirvana owners in the States. He successfully created most of the deck fitting and blocks as well as the inner hatch cover. Owners were of course thrilled to have these replacements made available. We have been able to make replacement sails when needed so it would seem that a good number of these terrific boats will continue to sail the lakes and ponds here in the US for many more years.

Boomer

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

Glad to hear that things can be kept going. 3D printing has a lot to offer the modelling world.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.