Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nirvana ll Perhaps the best "ready to sail" RC Yacht for new sailors & old  (Read 18725 times)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

The Nirvana is as close to a "turn key"or "ready to sail" boat as you are likely to find. Once it arrives, in very short order - no more than 30 minutes you are ready to go sailing. I am not aware of any boat of this or similar size that is as easy to assemble and to transport as the Nirvana ll. It is so well designed, a monkey could assemble one, well that may be overstating it a bit, but my wife can do it! It comes complete with a radio 2.4 ghz radio and receiver. The Nirvana has a carbon fiber mast and booms, comes with durable and functional sails. Like many production boats, a set of custom sails can help this boat achieve it's true potential. (one man's opinion)

The Nirvana does well in light to moderate weather conditions, doesn't draw as much water as some larger boats, and is ideal for first time sailors. It is fun, fast and forgiving. Each time I sell one, I get another one. I actually miss sailing the darned things. They are a handsome yacht - fashioned in the likeness of a racing sloop. It is ruggedly built, but not heavy and with very little maintenance, it will provide years of fun. Another terrific factor is they have terrific resale value.

In contrast to other larger and more expensive boats, a well tuned Nirvana ll, with a good skipper at the sticks, can give many of them a run for their money. One of the more interesting facts about these boats is that they are so well designed they are very simple for a new sailor to master, but complex enough to keep the attention of advanced sailors as well.

Many Nirvana owners add their own refinements to their boats - some for the sake of appearance and others for functionality. They are great right out of the box and really don't need any changes.

Here in the US these boats are very popular with thousands of them being sold over the years. The North American distributor is sailrc.com they also handle Lasers. I am pretty sure they ship world wide so if your interested check out their web site. The Nirvana has it's own "Class One Design Racing" in the AMYA and is a great boat to get you started in club racing. I posted a few photos for you to take a look at.

I have quite of few RC sailboats and continue to enjoy sailing my Nirvana.  :-))

Boomer (Formerly Windchaser before the forums melt down)

Nirvana II Racing Class Sailboat

FEATURES:

Construction: Composite low drag hull design with removable racing keel and ballast bulb

Sails: Constructed of Polyester film that will outlast and out perform all others, the manufacturer states these boats are designed to withstand up to 20 knot (23mph, 37kph) winds, jib features lightweight boom and adjustable clew tension

Mast: Rigid carbon fiber with quick release foot for portability
Keel: Ballast bulb racing style features quick release
Servo: Heavy duty, metal geared sail winch type
Radio Compartment: Self sealing for water tightness
Rudder: Large area, deep water type

SPECS:
Length: 32"
Beam (Width): 7.75"
Height: 64"
Weight: 5.5lbs
Sail Area: 525"
Sailing Speed: 6 knots (7mph, 11kph)
Top Wind Speed: 20 knots (23mph, 37kph)
Radio Range: 1500' (457m)

RC Nirvana
Class One Design Racing Rule (2012 rules from http://sailrcnirvana.com/Racing_Rule.html)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

Recently a National Nirvana regatta was held in the southern part of the Unitd States. Sailors came from a wide area of the country to participate. I am having some issues posting the photos, once I get this sorted out I will share some pictures of this event.

Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

Here are some photos of the Nirvana National Regatta. As you can see, there was some great racing and good fellowship at the regatta. These are terrific boats and great fun to sail.
It'd be nice to see some interest and activity on the other side of the pond for these extremely popular boats.
Enjoy
Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nirvana ll Perhaps the best "ready to sail" RC Yacht for new sailors & old
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »

If you have read the information and are interested in learning more about these boats, please post your questions or comments. These boats are extremely popular here in the U.S. must admit to being surprised that there is not a similar following in the UK or Europe.
Another terrific RC forum based here in the U.S. is rcgroups.com this forum has a significant Sailing section that is very active and covers a very wide range of topics and boats. There is a Nirvana thread that is of the most popular there - it is not limited to discussions on the Nirvana, and is open to just about any topic that those who follow it might be interested in sharing. It has well beyond 265,000 hits and is approaching 8000 posts. Please, take a few minuties to check it out - worth a visit. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794969&page=513
I enjoy this forum and appreciate the level of craftsmenship some of the builders exhibit here. RC sailing is a terrific hobby and it'd be nice if it were to grow at least to a level near that of RC aircraft  O0
Hope you take time to visit the other forum - enjoy  :-))
Boomer
Event: 2013 Nirvana North American Championship
 Class: Nirvana
 Date: June 21-23, 2013
 Host Club: Ashville & Black Mountain Yacht Clubs

For more information go to the host club website:

http://blackmountainyachtclub.wordpress.com/

giovanni

• Live Steam Power
  • Full Mayhemer
  • 1906 Stanley Landspeed Record Car
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »

I have a new in the box Nivana II for sale.
I'm going to list it on EBay but was not sure about what price to list it at.
Can someone enlighten me, please.
Thank you,
Giovanni
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:20:40 am »

A used Nirvana just sold on E-bay for $274 plus shipping - the fellow had some accessories with it as I remember - oh, and the main sail was discolored. I was a bit surprised at that price but on E-bay anything can happen.
If yours is new in the box and has the 2.4 ghz radio, you should get close to what you paid for it. Suggest you list it on the rcgroups.com classifieds as well.
Not sure why you want to sell it -  they are really terrific boats and lots of fun to sail.
Boomer

giovanni

• Live Steam Power
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:48 am »

It is my son's sailboat. He likes his new Laser sailboat much better.
I have an Infinity-54 sailboat and love it.
Thank you
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 04:26:35 pm »

I understand. Laser's are terrific boats too! Interesting the same company sells both of these fine boats. Sailrc.com
You should have no problem selling your son's Nirvana. They are very popular as I have reported and there are folks out there looking to save a little money. Good luck on your sale.
Boomer

giovanni

• Live Steam Power
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:34:24 pm »

It doesn't have a radio. The stock radio is not that good, anyway.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 04:34:43 am »

A personal note. I have owned a couple of dozen RC sailboats over the years and would like confirm my observation that of the boats produced over the last 10 years, the Nirvana continues to represent one of the best overall values for mid sized RC yachts. (32" or 812.8 millimeters)
While many of the models produced in this period of time have bee discontinued, the Nirvana is still being produced and sold world wide in numbers that others surely envy. My point is simple - this true becasue of the value the Nirvana provides to those interested in getting into RC sailing and is designed to a point that it has stood the test of time year in and year out.
Enough said. Just sayin..........................worth a look!
Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:10:26 pm »

Update on
 2013 Nirvana National Regatta  Asheville Yacht Club and Black Mountain Yacht Club are co-hosting the 2013 Nirvana National Regatta. Dates are June 21, 22, 23. Friday afternoon will be check-in and practice, racing on Saturday and Sunday am. Race site will be Lake Tomahawk in Black Mountain, NC. If you would like an information packet on the area, hotels, campgrounds, restuarants, send email with your address to: pinkodomday@yahoo.com and a packet will be mailed to you.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »

If it is as good as you say
why is it not sold in UK?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 05:29:58 pm »

Hi Bloomer, are you the salesman by any chance?  %)
                           Regards, Tony.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 06:44:56 am »

If it is as good as you say
why is it not sold in UK?

Ned

G'day Ned
My observations regarding the Nirvana are based on first hand knowledge having owned several of these boats over the years, (still have one) and from others owners that year after year continue to enjoy their boats.  I think I have stated fairly my observations, but if you'd like to get additional insights into this boat a good place to go to do that would be a forum called rcgroups.com - it is an RC forum that covers just about anything RC and has a very active sailboat section. One of the most active sections or threads is the Nirvana thread - Here is a link to the first page of the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794969&page=538   
If you do visit the site you will see that the thread has been on going since 2008 and is approaching 300,000 "hits" or views and over 8000 posts. Granted not all are the posts are specific to the Nirvana but there is a great deal of information about these boats, including their strengths and weakness.   
I have a dozen RC sailboats - the Nirvana is a boat that is just fun to sail, easy to maintain and it always works. That's all, it is not magic.   
Why is it not sold in the UK? Good question. I don't know and my response is speculation and not first hand knowledge. A company called Megatech produces these boats. They are based from what I am told here in the U.S. and have the boats made "off shore" like most producers to keep their costs down. A year or two ago they assigned a North American Distributor Sailrc.com to market the Nirvana in North America - as I understand it, to get the exclusive dealership, requires ordering a container full as the minimum order.

I don't know how many fit into a container but I do know the size of the box they come in and it would take a whole lot of them to fill the containers I've seen. My point is that it maybe that if that is a requirement to sell their boats in a given part of the world, there may not be that many folks willing to  make that large of an investment. That is my sense of it, but it could be any one of dozen other things.   I know that as of the last month they company here is sold out of them and has ordered more. But why not in the UK?? Can't say for sure.

Tony,  It's BOOMER (no L) To answer your question -  I am not a salesman for Nirvana. I posted my comments to find out what kind of interest and or knowledge there was  on these boats on your side of the pond. I could only find a few mentions of Nirvana's with in this forum, so I started this thread to get some feed back.    The Nirvana forum or thread has members from around the globe, so it is clear that there are other parts of the world that have Nirvana owners, so one might conclude that they are sold in other countries besides the U.S..    I am interested in learning about the boats I like, and really was just curious. I am surprised that there is not much known at least in the UK, about the Nirvana. I asked the owner of Sailrc.com if he'd ship to the UK and he said he would. I mentioned that should anyone be interested in getting one. Right now the best place to get one might be on E-bay since they are sold out here in the States.    I have several different kinds of RC boats,  winged aircraft, and I am just getting into "helis". I have not tried scratch building yet, but hope to do so in the near future. Before I retired I only had time for kit boats and planes. Now that I am retired, I have the time to do some building. I enjoy using the boats and planes in my collection more than building them, perhaps in time that could change. Time will tell.    I am confident that if you chaps take the time to look into the Nirvana, you'd find my observations are "spot on". If not, hey that's ok. It's all good.   Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

The 2013 Nirvana North American Championship for Nirvana's is now in the record books. The event was held June 21-23, 2013 at  Lake Tomahawk, Black Mountain, NC. and hosted by: Ashville & Black Mountain Yacht Clubs.

As you can see from the pictures posted the location is beautiful and all the participates had a great time. The winds were light, but the racing was still very exciting. The host club did a terrific job organizing the event and are to be congratulated on putting a together a perfect event.

Participants brought their spouses and some off-spring as well. All in all a great weekend of sailing and fellowship. There is growing interest from Nirvana owners in other parts of the country to hold regional regattas - time will tell if will happen. 

Hope you enjoy the photo.
Boomer

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

When I went looking for my first sailboat, it was the Nirvana that seemed the best ARTR option on the market.
Sadly it was not available in my market. For some reason I have only seen these in N America, it may be to do with supply chains, or with class restrictions (speculation), i.e. it may be that they do not fit into a European or Asian racing class. If the latter were the case, distributors may not be interested in introducing them to a new market.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

Lovely Pics Boomer  :-)) :-))

What a beautiful location.

TT, Thers are enough non- class rubbish offerings in the UK.
There are very few that will sail in anything but whispers of winds without a load
of mods (modifications not moderators >>:-( >>:-( )

Even my Victoria is a different yacht with the Canadian Mods.
I shall get a Nirvana somehow oneday.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Boomer  just spent ages accessing sailing rc  very strange  as soon as you click on any subject on the home page  you get bumped back to the previous site  you were on.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Boomer  just spent ages accessing sailing rc  very strange  as soon as you click on any subject on the home page  you get bumped back to the previous site  you were on.

Correct web site is http://www.sailrc.com/ - give that a try. That should get you there without issues. Since

Nirvana's are currently not in production, with no solid production date known, for those wanting a Nirvana I suggest monitoring the US E-bay - Here is a link to try: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XRC+SAILBOATS&_nkw=RC+SAILBOATS&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Another possible would be the AMYA site in the Classified section: http://www.theamya.org/classifieds/
Another is to post a want ad in the rcgroups.com Classified Boat section: http://www.rcgroups.com/boats-fs-w-104/

RCGroups.com is the most active rc sailing forum with members around the planet. If you monitor these sites regularly you should be able to find nice previously owned Nirvana at a reasonable price. The Nirvana thread at rcgroups.com is a very active thread as of this minute there has been 324,355 viewings and over 9200 posts - that is a pretty active group by most anyone's metrics. The thread is not limited to Nirvana's, with lots of interesting "rabbit trails" and characters. Fun site. Anything one might want to know about a Nirvana is there and a whole lot more. Good group for sure! Might be the best place to find a Nirvana for sale. Many of the group have more than one. Just sayin, couldn't hurt.  O0

Good hunting!! :-))
Boomer

Boomer

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

I'd tried that already  no good and just used your new link   it opens the site as soon as I click on nirvana or anything else it just boost me back to this site .If iwas not on any other site at all it would close IE very strange

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

I'd tried that already  no good and just used your new link   it opens the site as soon as I click on nirvana or anything else it just boost me back to this site .If iwas not on any other site at all it would close IE very strange

Wonder what is up with that?? I just tried it again and it works fine for me. Try goole or another search engine to see if a link through them might work?

Boomer

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Boomer  I tried always this morning links  several from google all the same effect.  I wont use any other browser than IE  perhaps someone else might try from the UK maybe a sensitive  firewall from anything outside the States Ha!

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

That is really strange! Did you try any of the other links I posted? Be interesting to see if they work or not. Can't image the cause of the malfunction?
Sorry. Checked that site again and it is fully functional.  {:-{

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer

links worked fine for me, and hopped around the site no problem
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

Nope just tried again   the same site opens ok click on  a link on it and I.m back here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.