Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/10 scale boat for newbie (to boats at any rate)  (Read 1795 times)

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
1/10 scale boat for newbie (to boats at any rate)
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:09:57 pm »

Hello All!

I have just been admitted to the forum, having requested membership in order to ask advice on my first foray into model boating. I have been into RC models for ages, starting with aircraft and now being mostly into cars, but I have yet to build a boat.

I would like my first boat to be as close to 1/10 scale as possible, as I want to display it on a custom-built trailer to be towed behind my 1/10 CC01 Mitsubishi Pajero scaler. I was wondering what you'd all recommend?

The only powerboat model I have come across so far of approximately the right size is the Robbe Katja, which seems suitable for beginners. Does anyone know if this is true, and if there are any alternatives?

Also, does anyone know what scale the Micro Magic is? I guess it isn't a true scale model of any particular vessel, but would you say it is a small scale model of a large yacht, or a large scale model of a small yacht?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/10 scale boat for newbie (to boats at any rate)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:00:57 am »

Hello All!

I have just been admitted to the forum, having requested membership in order to ask advice on my first foray into model boating. I have been into RC models for ages, starting with aircraft and now being mostly into cars, but I have yet to build a boat.

I would like my first boat to be as close to 1/10 scale as possible, as I want to display it on a custom-built trailer to be towed behind my 1/10 CC01 Mitsubishi Pajero scaler. I was wondering what you'd all recommend?

The only powerboat model I have come across so far of approximately the right size is the Robbe Katja, which seems suitable for beginners. Does anyone know if this is true, and if there are any alternatives?

Also, does anyone know what scale the Micro Magic is? I guess it isn't a true scale model of any particular vessel, but would you say it is a small scale model of a large yacht, or a large scale model of a small yacht?

You had the same idea as me.... lol I was going to do the same but behind the Hi-Lift Ford ("xxxxx" thats another on the list to build) but came unstuck when it came to the trailer
The Katja is a nice easy build but lacks the details of you pajero (saw it on the other thread)
Please post some details up about the trailer when you build it as it sounds an interesting project
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:58:14 am »

how about a nice Altlantic 85 RNLI lifeboat RIB from Models by Design at 1:10 scalee..you could then paint the Pajeiro in RNLI colours.made for the job.

XV Pilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 04:10:53 pm »

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look at the Altlantic 85 RNLI lifeboat RIB from Models by Design,and while I am sure it'll look good on the trailer, I am not sure about how I'd make it a runner. The only outboards I can find are the Graupner ones, and they seem a bit expensive and also a bit large.

At one point on my search I came across a Thames launch in 1/10 scale that looked both pleasing to the eye and reasonably affordable, but I can't seem to find it again and I can't recall where I saw it. Anyone have any idea what I am on about?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.